all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Been a rough couple days training-wise. Had another poor sleep incident on Monday, so missed Tuesday morning training. After that, I had to start buckling down to prepare for a big presentation at work - no training Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. ?

At least got to Volleyball Wednesday night. My wife accidentally signed us up for the next division up. We were pretty badly out-quicked. The other team also had a much higher percentage of 6-pack abs than we did. We got stomped in the first 2 games. And yet... we managed to steal 1 game from them. I felt like I was actually playing pretty well - good defense, and had a lot of blocks. I don't have 6-pack abs, but I make up for it by having really long arms.

Had a day off from work, slept in and got in some time outdoors.

4/2 10:00

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,14,12
39min outdoor jog 3.2m
Treadmill strides x6 (0.6m)
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

4/2 17:00

Mobility warmup
FSQT 170# x3, 195# x3, 220# x5
TGU 10x1 32
Tabata KB thrusters 24

I've said before that the TGU is a general measuring stick for where you're at. Today, the TGU said I'm in a bad spot - everything hurt. Balance was off, Shoulders were achy. TGU says to go easy, who am I to argue.

Missed morning training again this morning, and it was just a missed opportunity. I've gotten into this mindset where, the training session I want to do will take around 75 minutes, but by the time I'm awake and ready to go, I realize I only have about 40 minutes before I need to address some real-world stuff. So instead, I just sit on my fat arse for 40 minutes. Need to start accepting the 40 minute time limit, but still do something.

Volleyball in the evening. We got beat up - badly.

4/8 07:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

Baseball practice + happy hour = no evening training

4/9 09:00

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,12,11
45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
FSPM + front splits

Push-ups for reps are really a struggle for me. Which obviously means I should do it more.

4/9 17:15

KB snatch 10x5 32
FSQT 185# x5, 210# x3, 235# x5
BP 170# x5, 190# x3, 215# x5
Assorted Grip pull-ups 10x3 10#

Squat mobility x2

20 reps is not too shabby I think. What's your weight?
About 235#. 20 isn't too bad for a regular old dad... but, of course, I hang out around this forum, where guys like @pet' do 1000 pushups before breakfast, so I've got an inferiority complex ROFL

What are these?
Samurai getup = tactical getup holding a pair of wooden swords
BAN = big-arse ninja. It's just a little warmup sequence I do: spinning, hanging leg raises, horse stance punches/blocks, chinups, some wrist plyometrics, fingertip pushups, handstand against a wall, tumbling
Trifecta = a sequence from "Convict Conditioning"; back bridges, hanging leg raises (book calls for L-sits, but I can't do those yet), seated twist stretch, 3 rounds. Really good core strengthening sequence.
Shoulder sequence = overhead extension stretch, YTWL sequence with dumbbells, behind-the-back stretch, 3 rounds

Have you tried the Navy SEAL version ala 'The Iron Wolf'? Since starting those my strength has increased across the board.. doing them on the 30 second mark with a pullup thrown in, volume piles up quickly at 6 pushups and 2 pullups per minute.
I've been doing burpees as power training, as opposed to conditioning - kind of A&A style. A power pushup, and jump for max height. My main goal there is to work on my vertical jump for volleyball, but I've also found that the ability to pop up quickly from the ground is really useful in sand volleyball.

Those Iron Wolf burpees look like they are no joke. Just continuous movement - looks like it would be really good conditioning for fighting. I'll give it a try next time I do a conditioning block (which has been faaaar too infrequent lately...). Thanks for the pointer.

Hello,

@WhatWouldHulkDo
Thanks a lot ! :)

But strength-endurance aside, you are way stronger than me. I can not DL or press as much as you, far from it !

My biggest achievements, as far as strength goes is RoP with 24 and S&S (timeless simple) and a few trifles with pull ups. In general, I am more an endurance guy ;) So you do not have to have a complex !

Kind regards,

Pet'

About 235#. 20 isn't too bad for a regular old dad... but, of course, I hang out around this forum, where guys like @pet' do 1000 pushups before breakfast, so I've got an inferiority complex ROFL

Samurai getup = tactical getup holding a pair of wooden swords
BAN = big-arse ninja. It's just a little warmup sequence I do: spinning, hanging leg raises, horse stance punches/blocks, chinups, some wrist plyometrics, fingertip pushups, handstand against a wall, tumbling
Trifecta = a sequence from "Convict Conditioning"; back bridges, hanging leg raises (book calls for L-sits, but I can't do those yet), seated twist stretch, 3 rounds. Really good core strengthening sequence.
Shoulder sequence = overhead extension stretch, YTWL sequence with dumbbells, behind-the-back stretch, 3 rounds

I've been doing burpees as power training, as opposed to conditioning - kind of A&A style. A power pushup, and jump for max height. My main goal there is to work on my vertical jump for volleyball, but I've also found that the ability to pop up quickly from the ground is really useful in sand volleyball.

Those Iron Wolf burpees look like they are no joke. Just continuous movement - looks like it would be really good conditioning for fighting. I'll give it a try next time I do a conditioning block (which has been faaaar too infrequent lately...). Thanks for the pointer.
Thanks for the info, for a big guy you do well in movement practice, I used to be pretty agile at that weight too. Now that I'm weighing 178 - 180 it's a lot easier to move my carcass around and it's fitting at my age I suppose. The main thing is if you don't move it, you eventually lose it, and that becomes really clear as you transition out of your 50's.

Martial arts go a long way toward keeping one in good physical shape, even into advanced age. One crazy thing I found about NS burpees is they seem to improve my Proprioception somehow.. how that works I don't know, maybe it's just something I was missing.

Thanks for the info, for a big guy you do well in movement practice, I used to be pretty agile at that weight too. Now that I'm weighing 178 - 180 it's a lot easier to move my carcass around and it's fitting at my age I suppose. The main thing is if you don't move it, you eventually lose it, and that becomes really clear as you transition out of your 50's.
I've always been relatively agile for a big guy. Of course, back when I used to weight more like 275#, the agility would only last for about 10 yards or 3 seconds, whichever came first. ?

I know a lot of stuff would be easier if I could drop 30# of blubber... it's kind of the ever-present goal. But, I love me some cheeseburgers...

Martial arts go a long way toward keeping one in good physical shape, even into advanced age. One crazy thing I found about NS burpees is they seem to improve my Proprioception somehow.. how that works I don't know, maybe it's just something I was missing.
Absolutely. My old sensei was better in his 60s than most men in their prime. I can believe that the NS burpee affects proprioception - throwing weights around is one thing, and throwing your body around (in whatever form that takes) is another. I absolutely believe both are important.

Back
Top Bottom