all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

4/23 07:30

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 6x10
45min treadmill run/walk 3.6m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
FSPM + front splits

Need to change up the push-up programming for a while. I'm just not enjoying the max-out sets.

4/23 16:30

Squat mobility x1
Jump-kick burpees 10x2 (su-ey! )
FSQT 165# x5, 190# x5, 215# x8
Crawling 12min 1:1 work:rest.
Hangboard

Need to change up the push-up programming for a while. I'm just not enjoying the max-out sets.
You could give the NS burps a go, doing them on the 30 second mark for 20 mins with a pullup after the burpee you can net 40 pullups along with 120 pushups and still feel pretty fresh and energized.. it's a big bang for the buck in my experience. I picked them up while rehabbing my leg, now they've become a keeper. Running in place between bursts really makes it enjoyable for me.

You could give the NS burps a go, doing them on the 30 second mark for 20 mins with a pullup after the burpee you can net 40 pullups along with 120 pushups and still feel pretty fresh and energized.. it's a big bang for the buck in my experience. I picked them up while rehabbing my leg, now they've become a keeper. Running in place between bursts really makes it enjoyable for me.
Ok, ok... burpees conditioning day it is.

4/24 12:30

BAN practice
Box jumps
- held a 20# KB goblet-style for the 2-foot jumps- definitely felt it
NS burpees x34 shuffled with pull-ups x20
- took about 18 minutes
Balance sequence
Trifecta

A while later, my abs informed me that they were not happy about my life choices today ?

Ok, ok... burpees conditioning day it is.

4/24 12:30

BAN practice
Box jumps
- held a 20# KB goblet-style for the 2-foot jumps- definitely felt it
NS burpees x34 shuffled with pull-ups x20
- took about 18 minutes
Balance sequence
Trifecta

A while later, my abs informed me that they were not happy about my life choices today ?
Haha! Good man.. gottta git doze aaabs fired up ?

Sunday was a day off for chores and baseball practice. Then Monday morning I got my second dose of the COVID vax. No nasty side effects aside from some shoulder soreness. But that, along with our first baseball game of the season, was enough to keep me from doing much training. On the plus side, I'm now impervious to bullets. I'm pretty sure that's what the nurse said...

4/26 15:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

4/27 06:30

Samurai getups x10
32min treadmill run/walk 2.5m

Finally got myself in the mindset that a short session is better than no session.

4/27 17:30

Squat mobility x1
Burpees 10x2
DL 310# x3, 355# x3, 400# x5
OP 100# x3, 115# x3, 130# x6
Pull-ups 7,7,6,5
Grip work

4/29 10:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

4/29 21:15

Squat mobility x1
KB snatch 10x5 36
BP 160# x3, 185# x3, 205# x6
Assorted grip pull-ups 6x3 20#

Had baseball practice earlier, which always seems to suck a lot of energy out of me - this was a rough session. Also had a lot of pec and shoulder soreness during the bench, I figure a remnant of yesterday's burpee session. Just survived it.

Had baseball practice earlier, which always seems to suck a lot of energy out of me - this was a rough session. Also had a lot of pec and shoulder soreness during the bench, I figure a remnant of yesterday's burpee session. Just survived it.
Before starting burpees I was doing ring pushups with a few bands tied to the rings, I put those over my upper back for more resistance and felt pretty strong.. not so it seems.. or at least I wasn't ready for burbees. doing them I gassed seemingly early (around 10-15 mins) so I stopped the burp session when pushups slowed down. It took around 6 to 8 sessions until all the kinks were ironed out and I had some decent durability. I also tweaked my shoulder doing burpees while grass running as a combo, the uneven surfaces and new stimulus was too much I think.

I think the dynamic nature of burpee pushups adds an element of real world durability to upper body strength among others.

4/30 07:00

Samurai getups x10
45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 9E (9T 1W)x2 14E 1W
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

4/30 17:00

Squat mobility x1
Burpees 10x2
FSQT 180# x3, 205# x3, 230# x6
TGU 10x1 32

This 5/3/1 format with the barbell seems to be working out for me. I feel like I'm getting work - in today's session, I could tell my legs were still feeling the work from earlier in the week - but I'm not feeling beat up. I don't end every session feeling "refreshed", per se - I think that paradigm really only works when you are doing higher-frequency work. If you're only doing the big lifts once a week, you have to get after it a little more... 5/3/1 seems a good format for doing so.

Of course, the real question is, is it working? Guess we'll find out next weekend, TSC is fast approaching...

Before starting burpees I was doing ring pushups with a few bands tied to the rings, I put those over my upper back for more resistance and felt pretty strong.. not so it seems.. or at least I wasn't ready for burbees. doing them I gassed seemingly early (around 10-15 mins) so I stopped the burp session when pushups slowed down. It took around 6 to 8 sessions until all the kinks were ironed out and I had some decent durability. I also tweaked my shoulder doing burpees while grass running as a combo, the uneven surfaces and new stimulus was too much I think.
One of the things I've wondered about is whether doing some high-rep push-up programing, be it in the form of burpees or just regular old burn-out push-ups, can realistically be paired with max strength work (i.e. barbell pressing). I've read tons of "let's do 100 push-ups" programs, and they never really talk about pairing with a heavy press... more and more I suspect it's just not a good idea. If you don't heavy press, then there's nothing to interfere with, obviously. But it seems like aggressive high-rep push-up programs are really meant to be the only push work you do, at least while you do it.

One of the things I've wondered about is whether doing some high-rep push-up programing, be it in the form of burpees or just regular old burn-out push-ups, can realistically be paired with max strength work (i.e. barbell pressing). I've read tons of "let's do 100 push-ups" programs, and they never really talk about pairing with a heavy press... more and more I suspect it's just not a good idea. If you don't heavy press, then there's nothing to interfere with, obviously. But it seems like aggressive high-rep push-up programs are really meant to be the only push work you do, at least while you do it.
I would assume there wouldn't be a huge change in BP strength.. maybe a little? I did notice after getting stronger from burpees the snatch bells felt lighter, especially overhead. Burpees do something my other weapons don't do, so I'll keep on them for awhile and see how it goes.

Summer's coming so.. Sun's out, Guns out!! haha

Early in the day, much squat mobility in the form of catching pitching practice for my son and another boy. I don't know how the guys (or kids!) who do it for 9 innings hold out. ..

5/1 17:15

BAN practice
Box jumps
5min KB snatch test x80 32
.... long rest to stop panting...
Balance sequence
I worked with a former pro baseball catcher many years ago, he was plumbing after losing his money on an apple farm after a big apple pesticide scare. His knee would just fall out from under him sometimes, now they wear knee protectors.. still not sure how much damage those mitigate though.

Nice job on the ST, how is your recovery after that effort, how long for full?

I worked with a former pro baseball catcher many years ago, he was plumbing after losing his money on an apple farm after a big apple pesticide scare. His knee would just fall out from under him sometimes, now they wear knee protectors.. still not sure how much damage those mitigate though.
I always wonder - is damage a given? Do all catchers end up with bum knees, or are some of them OK because they just have the body mechanics to make it work? Some East Asian folks spend plenty of time sitting in positions that most of us think would destroy our knees...

Nice job on the ST, how is your recovery after that effort, how long for full?
I usually feel a little stiff the day after (that's true today), but usually by the second day I'm 90% or better.

Now, tends to be a different story when there's a max deadlift before the test (TSC)... in the past that's taken 4-5 days to feel like getting back after it. Things worked out nicely this month where my deload week will come right after the TSC next weekend.

I always wonder - is damage a given? Do all catchers end up with bum knees, or are some of them OK because they just have the body mechanics to make it work? Some East Asian folks spend plenty of time sitting in positions that most of us think would destroy our knees...

I usually feel a little stiff the day after (that's true today), but usually by the second day I'm 90% or better.

Now, tends to be a different story when there's a max deadlift before the test (TSC)... in the past that's taken 4-5 days to feel like getting back after it. Things worked out nicely this month where my deload week will come right after the TSC next weekend.
Dunno on catchers and knees, my brother caught for years as a kid and has never complained.. maybe it takes longer for problems to show up?

Thanks for the feedback.
Good luck with TSC!

5/3 07:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

5/3 17:15

KB snatch 10x5 32
OP 110# x5, 125# x3, 140# x4
Pull-ups 8,7,6,5
Grip work

I seem to have developed an ability to get to the top of my big-muscle pull up range, pause for a moment, then transition the pull to driving the elbows back to get the neck to the bar. Feels like progress vs a couple years ago, where I had to rely on momentum to get there.

Squat mobility x1

5/4 10:30

Samurai getups x10
37min outdoor jog 3.2m
- Ave HR 131, max HR 148
Treadmill strides x6
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

5/4 17:15

Squat mobility x1
Burpees 10x2
FSQT 180# x5, 215# x3x 245# x5
- math mistake, should have done 190# in first set
TGU 10x1 32

Switching the week up a little to accommodate the TSC.

EDIT: run was 37min, not 32min. I ain't that fast...

Last edited:
5/4 10:30

Samurai getups x10
32min outdoor jog 3.2m
- Ave HR 131, max HR 148
Treadmill strides x6
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

5/4 17:15

Squat mobility x1
Burpees 10x2
FSQT 180# x5, 215# x3x 245# x5
- math mistake, should have done 190# in first set
TGU 10x1 32

Switching the week up a little to accommodate the TSC.
Strong squatting there Hulkster!

Back
Top Bottom