BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

4/12 21:00

KB snatch 10x5 28
OP 55# x5, 70# x5, 85# x5
Pull-ups 6,6,5,4
Grip work

Deload week. 5/3/1 calls for a very light deload - much lighter than I've typically given myself. But, particularly since my back isn't feeling awesome today (some combination of kicking drills on Saturday and the long run on Sunday), seems like a good day to just follow the program.

Squat mobility x1

Deload week. 5/3/1 calls for a very light deload - much lighter than I've typically given myself. But, particularly since my back isn't feeling awesome today (some combination of kicking drills on Saturday and the long run on Sunday), seems like a good day to just follow the program.
Deloading is something I rarely do, dunno why.. I should start doing it every six weeks or so, been feeling a bit fried lately. That usually happens during seasonal changes.

Deloading is something I rarely do, dunno why.. I should start doing it every six weeks or so, been feeling a bit fried lately. That usually happens during seasonal changes.

Well, there's the Pavel-ism that "if you don't have heavy days, you don't need light days." That makes intuitive sense... but you have to be open with your definition of a heavy day. Sometimes life is heavy. The most obvious example is when you get sick, but it can be much more subtle... poor sleep, work stress, family stress... all that stuff can take away from your recovery reserves just as much as a higher volume training, so sometimes life demands a deload. It could even be something as subtle as adjusting to the change in seasons, like you observe.

I've been solidly in a work-stress cycle for the last week or two, and I think I'm feeling a bit of that too.

Well, there's the Pavel-ism that "if you don't have heavy days, you don't need light days." That makes intuitive sense... but you have to be open with your definition of a heavy day. Sometimes life is heavy. The most obvious example is when you get sick, but it can be much more subtle... poor sleep, work stress, family stress... all that stuff can take away from your recovery reserves just as much as a higher volume training, so sometimes life demands a deload. It could even be something as subtle as adjusting to the change in seasons, like you observe.

I've been solidly in a work-stress cycle for the last week or two, and I think I'm feeling a bit of that too.
Probably the closest I get to heavy is heavy snatching, doing Al Ciampa's programs include de-loads for good reason I think. I've always been a higher volume trainer, there's gold to be found in high volume work I believe.
The problem I had with the stuck IT band really threw off my training mojo, the run/snatch template I was on for so long turned into something else by necessity.

It's all good though.. and struggling a bit with training is when I learn new things, so I look at it that way. Buteyko is a pretty good barometer for how I'm feeling, when stressed or fighting off a bug my breath work hold times decrease.
These days stress is up, that along with training challenges like adapting to some new stimulus and rehabbing an injury tends to make the overall more difficult. Could be seasonal too, a good friend and fellow trainer in my age wheelhouse is in the same boat recently, along with some other folks I talk to regularly. I have to say yoga is a very different thing for me, and it will take some time to adapt.

Like the tides, training and life just seem to ebb and flow.. and I'm ok with that.

When I was in the Marine Corps, we used to do pyramid push ups and pull ups....1 push up/1 pull up, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4....up to 10/10 and back down....or as far as you could go.....that would fry you for the day.....never wanted to go thru the obstacle course on those days....

What are these?

Have you tried the Navy SEAL version ala 'The Iron Wolf'? Since starting those my strength has increased across the board.. doing them on the 30 second mark with a pullup thrown in, volume piles up quickly at 6 pushups and 2 pullups per minute.

When I was in the Marine Corps, we used to do pyramid push ups and pull ups....1 push up/1 pull up, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4....up to 10/10 and back down....or as far as you could go.....that would fry you for the day.....never wanted to go thru the obstacle course on those days....
That's a nice template for a quick session, I'd do it A&A style of course. There would be a hypertrophy element there too. ?

Wednesday morning I didn't train because... I didn't want to. In a motivational lull. Had volleyball in the evening. We got blanked again - but they were much better games (partly because we had a sub who was better than our usual), and the other team were fun folks.

4/15 12:30

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

WOW, the trifecta work felt really good today... better than in a long time. Maybe some artifact of deload/slacking.

4/15 17:00

Squat mobility x1
KB snatch 10x3 36
BP 95# x5, 115# x5, 135# x5
Assorted grip pull-ups 8x3 10#

4/16 08:00

Samurai getups x10
Push-ups 15,20,16,16,13
45min treadmill run/walk 3.5m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

4/16 16:30

Burpees 10x2
FSQT 100# x5, 125# x5, 150# x5
Crawling 18min 1:1 work:rest

Really felt the morning push-ups during the burpees, a little rough.

End of deload week - kind of itching to get back to a little heavy work.

Squat mobility x1

Last edited:
4/19 14:00

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

4/19 17:45

Squat mobility x1
KB snatch 10x5 36
OP 95# x5, 110# x5, 125# x8
Pull-ups 7,6,6,5
Grip work

Forearms were really barking at the end. I think heavy snatches and density pull-ups probably isn't a good combination, should stick to lighter snatches on these days.

Training maxes for this cycle (I tend to forget)
OP 145#, DL 445#, BP 230#, FSQT 255#

Good article posted recently on the SF site:

This is kind of the model I've settled into - power, then strength, then condition/skill, in relatively short chunks every day.

Last edited:
Thanks, sir. Not bad for a regular guy. But, I've said a few times - the guys who can rep out 100+ snatches with the 32 in 5 minutes are another class of human.
At 72 reps you're well within striking distance if you wanted it, might be a nice wall plaque item :) These days my mind is far removed from such things.

At 72 reps you're well within striking distance if you wanted it, might be a nice wall plaque item :) These days my mind is far removed from such things.
You know, I've got just the spot picked out on the wall of my courage corner. ? Not seeing that happening any time soon, though.

4/20 16:45

Squat mobility x1
Burpees 10x2 10#
DL 290# x5, 335# x5, 380# x8
TGU 10x1 32

Tried burpees with my rucking backpack on. 10# makes quite a difference in the push-up phase, but not so much on the jump. Don't think that was a successful experiment.
Ya, weighted burpees aren't even on the radar for this old(er) cowboy, when I do enough of em the unweighted ones kick my a## just fine, they're back on the menu this week ?

Argh... so many missed morning training sessions lately. The real world has just been rough lately.

Had volleyball Wednesday night. We went 1-3, but I felt like I was really on point. Moving well, lots of blocks, hammered the ball a couple times. But... in the end, we were out-six-packed again. Them kids got them abs.

4/22 15:30

BAN practice
KB snatch 10x3 40
BP 150# x5, 175# x5, 195# x9
Assorted grip pull-ups 10x3 10#

Argh... so many missed morning training sessions lately. The real world has just been rough lately.

Had volleyball Wednesday night. We went 1-3, but I felt like I was really on point. Moving well, lots of blocks, hammered the ball a couple times. But... in the end, we were out-six-packed again. Them kids got them abs.

4/22 15:30

BAN practice
KB snatch 10x3 40
BP 150# x5, 175# x5, 195# x9
Assorted grip pull-ups 10x3 10#
To paraphrase Fausto Coppi... Old age and treachery will overcome youth and abs...

Back
Top Bottom