all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Had volleyball Wednesday night. We were badly outclassed. Still another 6 weeks left of being stuck in the wrong division ?

Woke up with a stiff back on Thursday, and spent the day wondering if I had somehow strained something during volleyball. Realized later that it was the revenge of the front squat! One of my current problems is some spine rounding in the hole, tends to make my back sore if I misfire.

5/6 07:45

BAN practice
Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

5/6 17:30

Squat mobility x1
KB1HS 10x5 40
BP 175# x5, 195# x3, 220# x5
Assorted grip pull-ups 8x2

05/08 09:00

TSC @ the boutique gym

DL 465#, 485#, 500# (PR, old PR 485#)
Pull-ups x11 (hopefully... PR x13)
KB snatch x80 32 (PR x84)

Not a bad day at all.

Finally broke 5 bills on the deadlift! (y) 465 was a "confidence builder" lift, just because I haven't approached a max in quite a while. 485 went up very solidly. 500 went up... not as solidly as I'd like, but it went up. Really took a lot out of my back, though - I was worried after the lift that I was in no condition for the snatch test. On the plus side, my grip is no longer a limiting factor on the DL - bar never moved in my hands. I've continued to be stubborn about deadlifting without a belt, for no particular reason... and I might be getting near my limit on that. I figure, now that I finally broke 500, it's time to allow myself to use a belt next time I go big. Onward and upward.

I'm pretty proud of the pullups - I feel like my strict form gets better and better every time I do this (there's no way that old x13 PR would meet the same standard)... and I'm about 10# heavier than last time I tested ?. I did have one rep no-count due to a little kip (the shame!). Plus, the one other guy who was there, who happened to be an SFG, warned me that a lot of my reps may not be counted under the competition standards, due to too much back-to-front leg movement. So we'll see what actually stands... I'm no threat to place at the top regardless. To be fair, this was a ladies gym, so the pullup bar didn't actually go high enough for a 6' man with gorilla arms to dead hang with straight legs! But maybe for a few weeks before the next one, I'll spend some time doing super-strict form, and I'll have to track 2 different pull-up PRs; 1 for super-strict form, and 1 for "just do some dang pull-ups."

The rest between events and hanging for the pull-ups gave my back enough juice that the snatch test didn't feel so bad. I did sets of 7, on a cadence of about 25 seconds. I probably could have pushed harder, but I was trying to protect my back at little.

Good experience - lots of strong ladies at the boutique gym, a bunch of them crossed 100 reps on their snatch tests. @LoriLifts, I think you would have liked them. And the lady who owns the place deadlifted 350# - without meaning to (they misloaded the bar 10# more than she asked). Only thing I'm bummed about is that I walked out of there in a little bit of pain. The cost of chasing glory sometimes. Tomorrow will be an off day, and fortunately this next week is deload week.

Funny story; when I was driving away, listening to the radio, I discovered that it was difficult to whistle. My face was too tired. Apparently I went glycolic on my facial expressions.

Now, off to self-medicate...

Hulk!
Look at you!
You were smashing!

I wish I was self medicating.
Unfortunately, Utah only has State Liquor stores.
Closest one is 2 miles away.

I’m in bed, watching Bewitched.
Sadly, with the second Darren...

05/08 09:00

TSC @ the boutique gym

DL 465#, 485#, 500# (PR, old PR 485#)
Pull-ups x11 (hopefully... PR x13)
KB snatch x80 32 (PR x84)

Not a bad day at all.

Finally broke 5 bills on the deadlift! (y) 465 was a "confidence builder" lift, just because I haven't approached a max in quite a while. 485 went up very solidly. 500 went up... not as solidly as I'd like, but it went up. Really took a lot out of my back, though - I was worried after the lift that I was in no condition for the snatch test. On the plus side, my grip is no longer a limiting factor on the DL - bar never moved in my hands. I've continued to be stubborn about deadlifting without a belt, for no particular reason... and I might be getting near my limit on that. I figure, now that I finally broke 500, it's time to allow myself to use a belt next time I go big. Onward and upward.

I'm pretty proud of the pullups - I feel like my strict form gets better and better every time I do this (there's no way that old x13 PR would meet the same standard)... and I'm about 10# heavier than last time I tested ?. I did have one rep no-count due to a little kip (the shame!). Plus, the one other guy who was there, who happened to be an SFG, warned me that a lot of my reps may not be counted under the competition standards, due to too much back-to-front leg movement. So we'll see what actually stands... I'm no threat to place at the top regardless. To be fair, this was a ladies gym, so the pullup bar didn't actually go high enough for a 6' man with gorilla arms to dead hang with straight legs! But maybe for a few weeks before the next one, I'll spend some time doing super-strict form, and I'll have to track 2 different pull-up PRs; 1 for super-strict form, and 1 for "just do some dang pull-ups."

The rest between events and hanging for the pull-ups gave my back enough juice that the snatch test didn't feel so bad. I did sets of 7, on a cadence of about 25 seconds. I probably could have pushed harder, but I was trying to protect my back at little.

Good experience - lots of strong ladies at the boutique gym, a bunch of them crossed 100 reps on their snatch tests. @LoriLifts, I think you would have liked them. And the lady who owns the place deadlifted 350# - without meaning to (they misloaded the bar 10# more than she asked). Only thing I'm bummed about is that I walked out of there in a little bit of pain. The cost of chasing glory sometimes. Tomorrow will be an off day, and fortunately this next week is deload week.

Funny story; when I was driving away, listening to the radio, I discovered that it was difficult to whistle. My face was too tired. Apparently I went glycolic on my facial expressions.

Now, off to self-medicate...
1/4 ton is a pretty dang heavy DL , great job on all of it!

05/11 18:45

Squat mobility x1
Samurai getups x10
DL 180# x5, 225# x5, 265# x5

Up to about 85% today. Still feeling several sore spots, but feels remarkably better when I get moving for a little while.

... and for some reason I was eating like it was going out of style today. I often wonder how much direct influence there is between hunger and recovery.

Something similar happened to me.
In this photo, I was trying to smile.
I couldn’t do it, like I was having a stroke.
I wonder what was happening to us.
976C0A97-D3F6-4BA2-A205-B7B1D57C8559.jpeg
PS...I’m eating like it’s going out of style too.

Something similar happened to me.
In this photo, I was trying to smile.
I couldn’t do it, like I was having a stroke.
I wonder what was happening to us.
The lady SFG I was talking to there talked about the snatch test being pretty rough on the CNS. And we all know a max deadlift is also pretty taxing on the CNS. Maxing out pullups cant be "refreshing" for it either. So... I speculate it's some kind of nervous system fatigue. I'm guessing the body might look for some non-essential functions that it can dial down for a while in order to deal with the stress being reported. Like the brain says:

"Breathing, vision, walking? OK, we'll keep all that stuff up and running - maybe it will help us get the hell out of this stressful situation. Smiling and whistling? You guys go to the back of the line..."

Back
Top Bottom