all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Belt Squat at Home?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Two of these and you're good to go: Rogue Games Box - 3 in 1 Wood Plyo Box or Titan Fitness Plyo Box or Sorinex makes (I have) and I'm sure there are others.
None of these provide Brands provides the User Weight Capacity of their Boxes.

Titan's "Specification" states the "User Weight Capacity Varies."

I don't know where you're looking but on the link I gave ...
https://www.titan.fitness/endurance/plyo-boxes/wooden/3-in-1-wooden-plyo-box/PLYBX.html/ said:
Product Overview
Step up your game with the 3-in-1 Portable Wooden Plyometric Box designed specifically for building strength while using your bodyweight. This fundamental training box is constructed from high-quality plywood interlocking puzzle joints with a weight capacity of 550-pounds.

That's for the bigger size. The smaller size says 440-pounds.

-S-

There are lots of ways to rig one up but I would recommend you just buy one. Get a SquatMax MD one for about $700 delivered. I have one and it is really great, worth every penny. Use it all the time. This is truly a you get what you pay for machine vs rigging something up

There are lots of ways to rig one up but I would recommend you just buy one. Get a SquatMax MD one for about $700 delivered. I have one and it is really great, worth every penny. Use it all the time. This is truly a you get what you pay for machine vs rigging something up

I've never used a belt squat machine, so I'd like to see if I even like the move (via simulation) before investing the floor space.

Also, it looks like the base model is $1700.

I've never used a belt squat machine, so I'd like to see if I even like the move (via simulation) before investing the floor space.

In the "Google is your friend" department, here you go:

There are also other videos out there reviewing it. From what I read, if you're going to belt squat, everyone likes this gadget. (I have no plans to get one, however. Power rack, bench, squat stands, and rings are my home gym, plus assorted kettlebells, barbells, and plates.)

-S-

In the "Google is your friend" department, here you go:

There are also other videos out there reviewing it. From what I read, if you're going to belt squat, everyone likes this gadget. (I have no plans to get one, however. Power rack, bench, squat stands, and rings are my home gym, plus assorted kettlebells, barbells, and plates.)

-S-

Thanks, I think you misunderstood my point.

I'm already familiar with Squatmax MD, and other brands (Rogue), and watched plenty of videos, but I've never used any belt squat machine.

They all take up a decent chunk of floor space.

Before plopping down the money and space, I'd like to see if I even like the feeling.

Last edited:
I wonder if the manufacturer might be able to help you find one at a gym to try in person.

-S-

Hey Doc - I know of some physical therapists in the lifting world really dislike the belt squat, something about forces and stuff being totally different than a real squat. Do you understand the criticism of the belt squat enough to offer why you don't really buy into it? I can't say I understood it well enough. This isn't really about them particuarly,, just about what people are negatively reacting to with a belt squat.

Hey Doc - I know of some physical therapists in the lifting world really dislike the belt squat, something about forces and stuff being totally different than a real squat. Do you understand the criticism of the belt squat enough to offer why you don't really buy into it? I can't say I understood it well enough. This isn't really about them particuarly,, just about what people are negatively reacting to with a belt squat.

Huh -- this surprises me.

I thought the belt squat would have been looked favorably because, supposedly, it reduces axial loading on the spine?

Although I guess you could say that, load is load, there is no free lunch, and instead you're localizing the load on the lumbar and pelvis more?

Huh -- this surprises me.

I thought the belt squat would have been looked favorably because, supposedly, it reduces axial loading on the spine?
I think the point of the machine we're discussing is that they medical folks might actually like it because it's not some weird angle kind of half-way-to-a-Smith-machine thing.

-S-

SquatMax MD

New Squatmax-MD Belt Squat - Everything You Need to Know

I was unware of this Belt Squat Machine.

It doesn't eat up a lot of space and the prices is reasonable.

If I were going to get a Belt Squat Machine, this would be my choice.

Thanks for the post in it.

Now let at some resesarch on some of the other Belt Squat Machines.

COMPARISON OF MUSCLE ACTIVATION BETWEEN BACK SQUATS AND BELT SQUATS
NSCA Journal Strength Cond Res 33(7S): S52–S59, 2019

This research provides some interesting feedback on Belt Squat Machine vs Back Squats.

Greater activation of the Glutes occur with Back Squat and with less Glute Activation with a Belt Squat Machine.

As the article went on to state...

"...Significant differences in both peak and mean amplitudes for the left and right GM between belt squat and back squat differ from previous research. This difference may be the result of the weight moving along a fixed track during a machine belt squat, unlike a free-weight belt squat. Previous studies have shown that exercises in which the weight moves along a fixed track, like Smith machine squats and leg press, have significantly less muscle activation than back squats. In addition, because the weight rotates about a pivot point, rather than a vertical load, the difference in muscle activation may be a result of a variation in the angle of resistance.'"

Front Loading

Most Belt Squat Machines as well as Rack Attached Belt Squat devices. Plates Attached a Dip Belt, and LandMine Belt Squat place the loading on the front Quad area.

If in anyone of the above movements, I am not sure how a more Vertical Loading (in line with Body's Center of Gravity) how the loading could be more directly under that Glutes (as with some type of Loading Pin Belt Squat off Boxes) for greater involvement of the Glutes would occur could be achieved.

Rear Belt Squat Loading

One of the methods that I employ with my Ski Rack System Belt Squat is to position the Weighted Loading Pin behind my butt. Doing so, place more of the workload on the Glutes to drive the weight up.

After completing the Repetition, I allow the Weight Loading Pin to swing back behind my butt before initialing another Reps.

Vertical Loaded Belt Squats

To perform Vertical Loaded Belt Squat, I the Weight Loading Pin is maintaned directly under my Center of Gravity.

I am not quite sure how some type of Veritcal Loading or how performing a Belt Squat Machine, Rack Attachement, Plates Attached to a Dip Belt or LandMine Belt Squat could be performed with Vertical Loading or with the loading more over the Glutes.

New Squatmax-MD Belt Squat - Everything You Need to Know

I was unware of this Belt Squat Machine.

It doesn't eat up a lot of space and the prices is reasonable.

If I were going to get a Belt Squat Machine, this would be my choice.

Thanks for the post in it.

What would be the benefit of this machine verses a more traditional one such as this:

I can see the space being an issue, but otherwise does the lever action cause any negative effects vs having the weight hang directly below you? Since it's on a chain it feels like the movement of the lever action wouldn't have much effect, but I don't know enough about the use of these to know if that's true.

Tonight I tried both the landmine and rack pivot versions.

Used my yellow Spud belt.

The rack pivot version was annoying because I was getting a "skating effect", to use a term from turnable tonearms.

The bar would want to pull back towards the the rack, creating an additional horizontal vector, putting more load on the side closest to the rack.

The landmine version had no such issue, but had the drawback of having to lift the plate up.

In both cases, because I wasn't elevated, the plate was bottoming-out by hitting the floor before I got below parallel.

meh.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom