all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Belt Squat at Home?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
This is after about 10 minutes of playing with it, and don’t mind the work clothes as I was just testing it, haha. With some more time I’m sure I can adjust it for better range of motion while keeping it more straight up and down, but with a little weight this could work very well. Can also add my safeties up high for a handle to hold onto if need be. I think I will be adding this in my next cycle for some hypertrophy work. I think the loading pin is only good up to 350 lbs, but I’m a weakling so that should be enough or me.

The band is not really on there for the accommodating resistance. While it certainly can be, I am using it to keep the loading pin moving straight up and down. With some bigger bands it could definitely work well for accommodating resistance.

Last edited:
This is after about 10 minutes of playing with it, and don’t mind the work clothes as I was just testing it, haha. With some more time I’m sure I can adjust it for better range of motion while keeping it more straight up and down, but with a little weight this could work very well. Can also add my safeties up high for a handle to hold onto if need be. I think I will be adding this in my next cycle for some hypertrophy work. I think the loading pin is only good up to 350 lbs, but I’m a weakling so that should be enough or me.

The band is not really in there for the accommodating resistance, while it certainly can be, but to keep the loading pin moving straight up and down. Which done bigger bands it could definitely work well for accommodating resistance.

Nice, what is the pulley attached to?

The band is not really on there for the accommodating resistance. While it certainly can be, I am using it to keep the loading pin moving straight up and down. With some bigger bands it could definitely work well for accommodating resistance.
That looks like a great set up! Well done!

That looks like a great set up! Well done!
The main problem I haven’t solved is that you have to start at the bottom of the rep with this setup when you’re alone. If you have a partner (which I never do) you could put the weight up on a chair or box, then move that out of the way. Flying solo I don’t know how to solve this problem.

The band is not really on there for the accommodating resistance. While it certainly can be, I am using it to keep the loading pin moving straight up and down. Belt Squat with Pulley test.
Band for Maintaining Pin Movement

This was insightful; something that I had not though of and will try.
The main problem I haven’t solved is that you have to start at the bottom of the rep with this setup when you’re alone.
Assisted Belt Squats

1) Upper Body Assisted Belt Squats

My Belt Squat System allows me to hold on to the Power Rack, drive the weight off the floor while using my arm to pull up on the Power Rack.

This elicits that same effect as Accommodating Resistance Training by hooking Bands to the top of a Power Rack in with an Ascending Strength Curve Movement (one that is hard in the lower positon and eaiser at the top).

As I drive the weight up, I pull less my arms, allowing a greater workload to be place on the l;egs.

I am not sure if you system would allow you to do that.

2) Reverse Band Loading

I cannot see you whole system. So, I am not sure if this an option for you or not.

Attaching a Band to the top of your Power Rack (is it a Power Rack) and then to the Loading Pin would lighten the weight in the low part of your Belt Squat.

As the weight is driven up, the Reverse Band Loading would assist in OverLoading the top end of the movement, as well as assisting you initiating driving the weight off the floor in the bottm part of your Belt Squat.

The main problem I haven’t solved is that you have to start at the bottom of the rep with this setup when you’re alone. If you have a partner (which I never do) you could put the weight up on a chair or box, then move that out of the way. Flying solo I don’t know how to solve this problem.
I think w. some set-ups I've seen, they "solve" this issue w. a third make shift platform for the weight that they either can move after fully standing via hand lever of some kind, or pivot slightly away from.

I didn't know if Jack had uploaded videos of his set-up - thankfully he has:

I think w. some set-ups I've seen, they "solve" this issue w. a third make shift platform for the weight that they either can move after fully standing via hand lever of some kind, or pivot slightly away from.

I didn't know if Jack had uploaded videos of his set-up - thankfully he has:

It looks like he's not quite hitting parallel.

1) Upper Body Assisted Belt Squats

My Belt Squat System allows me to hold on to the Power Rack, drive the weight off the floor while using my arm to pull up on the Power Rack.

I am not sure if you system would allow you to do that.

2) Reverse Band Loading

I cannot see you whole system. So, I am not sure if this an option for you or not.

Attaching a Band to the top of your Power Rack (is it a Power Rack) and then to the Loading Pin would lighten the weight in the low part of your Belt Squat.

Here is a better look at what I rigged up. Again, I just did this last night so it’ll likely change as I use it and find problems, but so far it feels pretty good. I’m using crash pads to raise it up just for testing it and will use something more solid once I refine it, but they are surprisingly stable with the DC blocks on top.

After raising the platforms a bit I can get closer to the pulley and can now easily reach the post with my hands to help pull myself up. Since I will never try to find a 1RM with these, I think this will work out fine.

If a reduction in axial loading is the main reason to do belt squats....

....wouldn't trap bar have the same feature?

That looks good. If possible, I would recommend adding one more pulley so the draw would be vertical. You would stand on top of the pulley.

Safeties and starting and ending the movement with these is always a bit iffy but the easiest solution could be to have something solid and shaped right - like a log, for example - at the end of a long handle, that you can move under the pin.

Did some sets of this w. a 24kg and 32kg kettlebell - felt really good. Not w. a belt and a very light load, but yeah, I'll probably do these more often.

I've done those before with BFR cuffs on the legs.

It was good pump work.

Does anyone have any experience and best practices for rigging home belt squats at home?

Did you just stack plates and stand on it using a dip belt?

Did you use a landmine post?
I just stand on 2 pull blocks and use an Iron Mind dip belt with quality climbing rigging and a carabiner with a heavy kettlebell.

I just stand on 2 pull blocks and use an Iron Mind dip belt with quality climbing rigging and a carabiner with a heavy kettlebell.

Variations on that theme seem to be the best compromise for DIY, without buying special equipment.

As opposed to landmine.

Back
Top Bottom