all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Belt Squat at Home?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I would think so. Perhaps not to the same extent as a belt squat, but better on the back than a back squat. As I already mentioned, I'm also a proponent of single-leg work.

Yeah, this is where physics collides with my subjective experience.

If I'm holding something in my hands like a trap bar, the force has to travel up my arms and ultimately down my back to my pelvis, and then to legs.

So how is that less taxing on the spine than a back squat?

Yet, somehow, it feels like it is.

Maybe the load just gets distributed more across more muscle groups, reducing localized spinal load.

The feel of a heavy belt squat is way different compared to squats or deadlifts with any kind of bar positioning or type of bar, trap bar included.

The feel of a heavy belt squat is way different compared to squats or deadlifts with any kind of bar positioning or type of bar, trap bar included.

I don't doubt it feels different.

I'm just trying to dissect the spinal loading claim from a force vector POV.

I don't doubt it feels different.

I'm just trying to dissect the spinal loading claim from a force vector POV.

Well, in both the squat and the deadlift, the spine is obviously loaded. I'm not sure how different it is between the lifts. If anything, I would imagine the squat having less stress with the same load since the load is in a more centered and supported spot. But I too would love to see someone with more brains dissect it out.

The belt squat is obviously way different.

another idea

I like it. I couldn't reply w. a comment, but someone was worried about a band snapping - I would worry about that potentially too, but if you simply laid a couple towels on top of the band it would prevent it from snapping up at your jewels in the case of band failure.

I like it. I couldn't reply w. a comment, but someone was worried about a band snapping - I would worry about that potentially too, but if you simply laid a couple towels on top of the band it would prevent it from snapping up at your jewels in the case of band failure.
I also tried something like this but I tried it at ground level. Didn't work too well. Had I stood on top of boxes I think that would have helped a lot.

I don't mean to diminish the importance of this because it is a concern, I would say check your bands before each training session for wear. Some of these 100 lbs. "Monster" bands are so thick that I doubt they would snap without showing noticeable wear.

Unless it takes out your eye, how bad is a snapping band going to be?

A little sting?

Any adult (ok, men, girls are smarter) who endured wet towel snapping in the junior high locker room has been through worse.

Unless it takes out your eye, how bad is a snapping band going to be?

A little sting?

Any adult (ok, men, girls are smarter) who endured wet towel snapping in the junior high locker room has been through worse.
I'd worry about myself, weight equipment, anchor points, etc going flying too. I'd fear a broken band over 15 yr/old me w. a rat's tail any day.

Again, don’t mind the outfit, I just got this in the mail so I wanted to test it right after work. Here’s another option if you have a rack, and is surprisingly affordable. I have a 2.3” x 2.3” rack, and even though this has a 3” rack opening it doesn’t seem to matter at all that it’s a tiny bit loose.

I setup my dip bar to give me something to pull myself up by since I have to start at the bottom of the squat, and can adjust both where the arm anchors and the platform to stand on. Even with no platform I can get right to parallel but with the adjustments I can get pretty low if desired.

At $70 shipped, it’s a good option and I can see it being useful for rows too.

Signature Fitness Belt Squat

Again, don’t mind the outfit, I just got this in the mail so I wanted to test it right after work. Here’s another option if you have a rack, and is surprisingly affordable. I have a 2.3” x 2.3” rack, and even though this has a 3” rack opening it doesn’t seem to matter at all that it’s a tiny bit loose.

I setup my dip bar to give me something to pull myself up by since I have to start at the bottom of the squat, and can adjust both where the arm anchors and the platform to stand on. Even with no platform I can get right to parallel but with the adjustments I can get pretty low if desired.

I was wondering about that one, good to hear that it worked okay on your rack because my squat stands are 2" x 3".

How did it feel?

I was wondering about that one, good to hear that it worked okay on your rack because my squat stands are 2" x 3".

How did it feel?
It actually felt really good. I hurt my knee a couple days ago while doing DFSQ with kettlebells, and it’s been sore but felt fine doing these. The weight was light so I’ll update you when I use a tougher weight, but there’s enough give in the belt that the arch of the lever moving didn’t feel like it was pulling me around. You can stand right on top of it easily, and legs can be as close together or far s as part as you want.

There’s an identical looking one that pops up on my Facebook add all the time that is like $200. I can’t see how it’s any different than this one and there’s no reason to pay more.

I’m not sure if it would pull too much on a freestanding squat stand or not. I am using my yoke so if it starts moving I can throw weights on the posts to keep it planted.

So, after trying the pulley, landmine, and this lever arm the lever arm is by far the easiest to use. The pulley system works ok, but takes more setup and I haven’t noticed and benefit to having it pull perfectly below you as opposed to slightly in front with the lever.

I have figured out how high to mount it that I can do very deep squats without any boxes to stand on, and it feels less sketchy when I load it up with 5 plates. I haven’t gone beyond that, but it feels really stable and the movement feels really good.

I don’t have the space or funds for it, but this experiment has really made me think if I ever buy a large specialized piece of equipment, it may be a belt squat as it works your legs really well without being limited by how long your core can last which seems to be my biggest limit in back squats.

So, after trying the pulley, landmine, and this lever arm the lever arm is by far the easiest to use. The pulley system works ok, but takes more setup and I haven’t noticed and benefit to having it pull perfectly below you as opposed to slightly in front with the lever.

I have figured out how high to mount it that I can do very deep squats without any boxes to stand on, and it feels less sketchy when I load it up with 5 plates. I haven’t gone beyond that, but it feels really stable and the movement feels really good.

I don’t have the space or funds for it, but this experiment has really made me think if I ever buy a large specialized piece of equipment, it may be a belt squat as it works your legs really well without being limited by how long your core can last which seems to be my biggest limit in back squats.

Yeah, I think squats are a better whole body builder than a leg builder, and I’ll usually hit systemic limits before my legs exhaust.

Which is frustrating because the main limit on heavy clean recovery and jerk power is my leg strength, not my core / back

Back
Top Bottom