all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Can conditioning/GPP replace cardio?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
You can build an OK aerobic base using conditioning strategies. You can go one better using HIIT strategies (textbook hiit, not bootcamp stuff). One better is LISS.

From a GPP perspective the first choice keeps you in good enough shape to begin the second, keeps you in good enough shape to begin the third. Any level is good enough to get you up a few flights of stairs without becoming winded or walk all day without bonking.

Four times a week with every session?
Sure, if you want. I went back and checked my training log from 2 years ago and I didn't do TGUs with this program with any regularity. I was primarily doing presses and pull-ups after the swings.

Sure, if you want. I went back and checked my training log from 2 years ago and I didn't do TGUs with this program with any regularity. I was primarily doing presses and pull-ups after the swings.
Okay, thanks! Instruction in the article was a bit confusing. It said to do only three times and heavy-light-medium.

Likewise. I'm not a fan of get ups anymore.
I still am. Started at 12kg, with a BW of 80kg. Working in the 40kg kb now, four years later at a BW of 68kg…

TGU teach you patience… lots of it.

Depending on weight / how much you have been training the lift and goals (could be mobility, balance, strength…) 10 total reps (5 per side) may be too much.

Four times a week with every session?
The idea that I got from the article was that the recommendation for other work was to keep it to a minimum, basically treating the whole thing as a scientific experiment and trying to control variables. If one participant does the swing plan alongside the ROP press program, another adds pull-ups, push-ups, and rucking, and another does TGUs, your results will be a lot harder to compare.
I still am. Started at 12kg, with a BW of 80kg. Working in the 40kg kb now, four years later at a BW of 68kg…

Depending on weight / how much you have been training the lift and goals (could be mobility, balance, strength…) 10 total reps (5 per side) may be too much.
Put me down as another fan of the TGU. Never feel better than when I include them in my programming. Given that this article is targeted to people who have completed “Simple” I would hope that any of them could handle three days a week of TGU training with a total volume of 30 reps.

I love the TGU! and come to love squats, lunges, and presses on the 'off' days because they add so much value to the getup phase that troubled me. I hated squats and lunges in the past because I was bad at them. All that changed since I "found" my Glutes in the hinge/swing.

Hello,

Some people like Dan John or Phil Daru do not use it or include it as a pure strength move, but more as a core, stability, mobility and warm up move. Therefore they do not do heavy TGU by SF standard. They 'max out' to 24kg.

TGU will transfer to most lifts because it fills the gap one may have in terms of balance, stability or whatever. But it will not necessarily allow to reach PR. It gives some real world and daily life strength because IMHO, one will rarely have to lift 200kg on a stable ground, with good grip (bar, etc...)

However, if one does not have mobility (or above mentioned issues) I have noticed slightly more benefits from RoP or Red Zone (press & swings)

Routines with plenty of moderately heavy presses like RoP or RZ gives me a lot of strength endurance in the upper body. It can give great conditiong (cardio vascular adaptation) if used with the proper rest period.

Kind regards,

Pet'

The idea that I got from the article was that the recommendation for other work was to keep it to a minimum, basically treating the whole thing as a scientific experiment and trying to control variables. If one participant does the swing plan alongside the ROP press program, another adds pull-ups, push-ups, and rucking, and another does TGUs, your results will be a lot harder to compare.

Put me down as another fan of the TGU. Never feel better than when I include them in my programming. Given that this article is targeted to people who have completed “Simple” I would hope that any of them could handle three days a week of TGU training with a total volume of 30 reps.
Agree. My post is incomplete. I should have written four days a week as well.

For example, I’ve had good results doing:
W1 - 10 TGU
W2 - 15 TGU
W3 - 20 TGU
W4 - deload TGU with two sizes lighter kb

I managed to did 40 kg get up five years ago, but I'm fatter guy than you. You're relatively twice as strong as I am.ROFL Now I can do 31 kg get up without practicing them and 25 kg feels light. 40 kg would need a few weeks of peaking though.

I never achieved Timed Simple. Went only to Timeless Simple, so maybe this isn't for me.
Hello,

Some people like Dan John or Phil Daru do not use it or include it as a pure strength move, but more as a core, stability, mobility and warm up move. Therefore they do not do heavy TGU by SF standard. They 'max out' to 24kg.

TGU will transfer to most lifts because it fills the gap one may have in terms of balance, stability or whatever. But it will not necessarily allow to reach PR. It gives some real world and daily life strength because IMHO, one will rarely have to lift 200kg on a stable ground, with good grip (bar, etc...)

However, if one does not have mobility (or above mentioned issues) I have noticed slightly more benefits from RoP or Red Zone (press & swings)

Routines with plenty of moderately heavy presses like RoP or RZ gives me a lot of strength endurance in the upper body. It can give great conditiong (cardio vascular adaptation) if used with the proper rest period.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Maybe I go with the Red Zone after I have finished my rehab. You have recommended it to me earlier and maybe I should try it. I guess my back and knees does not tolerate get ups and goblet squats anymore, so why distress them more. Do you have any recommendations for the warm up?

And sorry that this thread went to sidetrack. I will do this as a conditioning too along with the walking. Red Zone is supposed to do in a way that you rest as little as you can between the sets. So I guess it will improve the cardiovascular system too.

I’ve always wondered if I kept myself near my MAF heart rate while doing my usual workouts would that give the same vO2 and heart health benefits as going for a MAF run?

I’ve always wondered if I kept myself near my MAF heart rate while doing my usual workouts would that give the same vO2 and heart health benefits as going for a MAF run?
Check these out:

Hello @masa

I will answer directly in your log to keep thos thread on the original topic

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom