all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Combat Sport Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I wholly believe that grip and pulling strength are essential for grappling, which is why pullups and rope climbs are wrestling staples. Being able to hold onto ties and grips long enough to score can be really hard.

This is my favorite video about BJJ training, ever. Towards the end of his excellent rant he mentions that nearly all high level grapplers are ridiculously strong, even if they don’t lift. Fair warning, Andrew Wiltse cusses a lot.

I wholly believe that grip and pulling strength are essential for grappling, which is why pullups and rope climbs are wrestling staples. Being able to hold onto ties and grips long enough to score can be really hard.

This is my favorite video about BJJ training, ever. Towards the end of his excellent rant he mentions that nearly all high level grapplers are ridiculously strong, even if they don’t lift. Fair warning, Andrew Wiltse cusses a lot.

Hey it’s Jiujitsu, not Bingo at the Old Folks Home.

TBH I think exercise selection is one of the least important part of S&C for combat sports. The main criteria:

1) Start with exercises that are time-tested (regardless of equipment used)
2) Eliminate ones that aren't a good fit for the individual based on injury history, their technical proficiency at it, or other limitations
3) Use any reasonable program / overload scheme while also factoring in demands of their sport
This is an excellent point, and it also helps explain why minimalist strength and conditioning training can be all anyone needs.

-S-

These are the best - they are quite expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you spend any time on YouTube you'll see many well known BJJ instructors wearing them (you'll have to watch no gi videos obviously). Some of them even have review videos of these on YouTube.

BAUERFEIND KNEE BRACES

I believe I have the "GenuTrain" but they have many models.

Update: HERE is a video on YouTube of Chewy reviewing that brace.
These are the best - they are quite expensive, but you get what you pay for. If you spend any time on YouTube you'll see many well known BJJ instructors wearing them (you'll have to watch no gi videos obviously). Some of them even have review videos of these on YouTube.

BAUERFEIND KNEE BRACES

I believe I have the "GenuTrain" but they have many models.

Update: HERE is a video on YouTube of Chewy reviewing that brace.
2nd this. I’ve tried a bunch and these are by far the best.

Here's a block I came up with in late April and I plan to run it until September before I switch to a Quick and Dead 044 cycle until the year ends. These are two week blocks.

Block 1:

Session A:

Deadlift 5,3,2 (or similar Rule of 10 Set x Rep Scheme)
Bench: Faleev 5x5

Session B:

Squat: Faleev 5x5
Bench: 5x4 @ 80% Session A

Block 2:

Session A:

Power Clean: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)

Session B:

Power Snatch: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)
Front Squat: 8x3

This article inspired the blocks above:

Here's a block I came up with in late April and I plan to run it until September before I switch to a Quick and Dead 044 cycle until the year ends. These are two week blocks.

Block 1:

Session A:

Deadlift 5,3,2 (or similar Rule of 10 Set x Rep Scheme)

Session B:

Squat: Faleev 5x5
Bench: 5x4 @ 80% Session A

Block 2:

Session A:

Power Clean: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)

Session B:

Power Snatch: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)
Front Squat: 8x3

This article inspired the blocks above:

Are you only doing one day of each of these per week? The volume seems very low if this is a weekly schedule, have you had good progress so far?

Are you only doing one day of each of these per week? The volume seems very low if this is a weekly schedule, have you had good progress so far?
I’m doing both sessions in a week, an A&A session, mandatory Army PT once a week, and two swimming workouts (for LISS) during the week so the lower volume is for recovery. I usually get to the mats once to two evenings a week depending on my work schedule.

I’m making decent progress. I hit 190# for 5x5 on bench and 215# for squat. I am advancing both by ten pounds next week.

RE: @solarbear I've seen barbell snatches and cleans/clean and jerks programmed for wrestlers too, when my cousin was a high school wrestler in a state in the US South, he was subjected to a program. Though the sets and reps were NOTHING meeting the approval of Prilepin or similar coaches. Reps greater than '3' on most Olympic lifting movements are a forget-about-it in my book.

My new Bauerfiend knee brace came in today and I used it for BJJ tonight and it’s excellent! Just what I was looking for. Not cheap, but so far so good.
Which one did you get?

I was looking at the one for arthritis.

I found this article for the tactical athletes/hard living types who are also martial artists on balancing other forms of physical training with BJJ/MT/MMA et cetera from the fine folks at the Mountain Tactical Institute (formerly Mountain Athlete and it's more intense cousin, Military Athlete):

I found this article for the tactical athletes/hard living types who are also martial artists on balancing other forms of physical training with BJJ/MT/MMA et cetera from the fine folks at the Mountain Tactical Institute (formerly Mountain Athlete and it's more intense cousin, Military Athlete):

The way they set up the chart at the bottom reminded me of this program, which I really like. It reminds me of a Pat Flynn workout:

And that routine reminds me of this classic Pavel routine:

I'm looking forward to the Programming Demystified seminar to see how these plans are set up:

View attachment 21749
Sounds like a pretty cool program, for sure. We got told last week that the once a week mandatory PT is canceled for our unit, so I'm figuring out some schedule re-alignments and also keeping in mind not to get too overzealous with said add ons to the program. Recovery matters a lot in this pursuit.

Back
Top Bottom