all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Combat Sport Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I’ve heard of it but never tried it.

This morning I hit a deadlift and bench workout. On the Bench I gained two more reps compared to last week. So to further answer @BJJ Shawn, thus far some good results.

Deadlift: 295#x3, 315#x3, 345#x3. My grip started to loosen on right hand around thumb (I used overhand hook grip).

Bench at 200#: 5,5,5,5,4

Last edited:
I've been incorporating a lot of LISS type endurance into my work since we mobilized both from roadwork (running and foot marching) as well walking everywhere and swimming type endurance work. Albeit as a sample space of one guy I have seen better recovery between sparring rounds when I used more aerobic roadwork (MAF or Zone 1/Zone 2 heartrate work per Uphill Athlete). Has anyone else tried this?

I've been incorporating a lot of LISS type endurance into my work since we mobilized both from roadwork (running and foot marching) as well walking everywhere and swimming type endurance work. Albeit as a sample space of one guy I have seen better recovery between sparring rounds when I used more aerobic roadwork (MAF or Zone 1/Zone 2 heartrate work per Uphill Athlete). Has anyone else tried this?
Personally, I've had decent success increasing my recovery between rounds by adding LISS sessions.

As a bigger guy I was really struggling to recover and would have to take a round off every once in a while despite rolling quite a bit on a regular basis. I always thought it was just because I was large and that's how it was going to be. Another big guy at my gym said he had the same issue in the past and that his fix was adding two days of light cycling to his week to bring up his aerobic base. I gave that a try and found it to really help.

My hypothesis is that you are never really doing that lower intensity long duration work in training so you are kind of missing that piece of the puzzle. Adding the LISS sessions seems to plugs those gaps in that range of your cardiovascular system's function.

Personally, I've had decent success increasing my recovery between rounds by adding LISS sessions.

As a bigger guy I was really struggling to recover and would have to take a round off every once in a while despite rolling quite a bit on a regular basis. I always thought it was just because I was large and that's how it was going to be. Another big guy at my gym said he had the same issue in the past and that his fix was adding two days of light cycling to his week to bring up his aerobic base. I gave that a try and found it to really help.

My hypothesis is that you are never really doing that lower intensity long duration work in training so you are kind of missing that piece of the puzzle. Adding the LISS sessions seems to plugs those gaps in that range of your cardiovascular system's function.
I can confirm this.

I find if i've been away from the mats/inconsistent I have a problem with getting too tense when rolling and such. Big re-learn for me is the 'relaxed tension' aspect of martial arts when I've been away for a while.

I find if i've been away from the mats/inconsistent I have a problem with getting too tense when rolling and such. Big re-learn for me is the 'relaxed tension' aspect of martial arts when I've been away for a while.
That’s interesting, as it doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue for me from time off but I have that problem when competing. Sometimes I will burn my forearms out after 1 match from over gripping, even though in class it is NEVER an issue.

With time off, I find the thing that suffers the most is my Jiu Jitsu balance. Getting swept becomes much more frequent as I seem to forget how to transfer weight effectively.

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, heavy steel maces scream grappling strength. Especially the longer ones closer to a gada than the typical onnit fitness ones (but those work too). If you're interested check out Greg Walsh's stuff at Wolf Brigade. Haven't been able to drive out to Rochester to train yet, but all the online content is high quality on par with SF teachings. I'm specifically talking about heavy mace work, not the flowy stuff you see if you search for steel maces on IG.

I'm looking forward to the Programming Demystified seminar to see how these plans are set up:

View attachment 21749
Are these programs available to purchase as a stand alone? Or are they only part of an in person class?

Ran this assessement from Mountain Tactical Institute (here) with the following scores:

BW: 185 lbs

Front Squat: 235 lbs
Tactical Pullups: 8 (Better than when I was testing this back in December and I had elbow pain to get 5...I got 8 with NO pain)
Deadlift: 385 lbs (attempted 415 lbs getting not quite to lockout before my grips gave way 1.5 cm from top)
Bench: 235 lbs

Totaled up loads for bench, front squat, and deadlift and then added pullups (8 x 18.5 (10% BW) for the score below.

Score: 1003

Divided by bodyweight I got a 5.42 rating, a 'good' for a Mountain Athlete.

The article mentions pound for pound strength and I feel that this could be a great test for evaluating the pound for pound strength of a given fighter of any sort.

At one time we had a small database of SF members that among other things listed what ‘martial arts’ they participated in. Maybe not all of these would be considered Combat Sports, and certainly the physical and training requirements differ greatly, but there was quite a diverse list:

Aikido
Boxing
BJJ
Escrima
Ju-Jitsu
Judo
Jeet Kune Do
Krav Maga
Kendo
Fencing
HEMA
Iaido
Karate (various ryu)
Kickboxing
Kenjutsu (various ryu)
Muay Thai
Taekwondo
Hapkido
Wing Chung
Wrestling
Tai-Chi
You can add Baguazhang, Xingyiquan, and Yiquan to the list. I also practice Taijiquan and dabble in Tongbeiquan, Ziranmen, and Systema.

Skipping, bounding, hopping , crawling and any type of animal movements (crab, crocodile, frog, rabbit, monkey, bear, etc.) for time, distance, and speed are great for combat. Sprinting and kettbell ballistics. Road work with regular strength outbursts, such as running laps around a park and doing pullups and pushup or dips at the playground each lap 0.5-1 mile lap or stopping every 5 minutes on an hour run to do a few one arm pushups and pistol squats.

I also like bear crawling as fast as I can then transitioning from being down on all fours to a running sprint. I prefer doing this on the beach rather than on grass (bee stings, dog poo, trash, sharp objects, etc.). I do 10 seconds of each or 10 seconds of bear crawls and 20 seconds of sprinting. If I am at the beach I run for three miles, turn around and bear crawl sprint 6-12 times (walking for recovery), then jog the rest of the way back to my starting point. Now that I live in Phoenix, AZ I do it on soccer or rugby pitches and football fields so I can judge more easily how far I have traveled and hopefully the grass is better maintained than some random open space at a park, but that's fine, too.

Last edited:
BJJ Black belt (masters competitor)

I started running Justin's "Novocaine" Protocol back in Februray with some great results. I find that it hits all the main areas, strength (especially isometric strength that I always argue is more important for BJJ), power, endurance, speed. It's also very flexible, depending on how my training schedule looks that week. I PR'd Murph this Memorial Day with no other training and just finished a successful IBJJF tournament. It's worth a look as a jiujitsu athlete.

All-Around Training for the Tactical Athlete | StrongFirst

BJJ Black belt (masters competitor)

I started running Justin's "Novocaine" Protocol back in Februray with some great results. I find that it hits all the main areas, strength (especially isometric strength that I always argue is more important for BJJ), power, endurance, speed. It's also very flexible, depending on how my training schedule looks that week. I PR'd Murph this Memorial Day with no other training and just finished a successful IBJJF tournament. It's worth a look as a jiujitsu athlete.

All-Around Training for the Tactical Athlete | StrongFirst

That's cool to hear! What did you do for the tempo work? And did you do isometric strength outside the TGUs?

That's cool to hear! What did you do for the tempo work? And did you do isometric strength outside the TGUs?
Nothing in particular for the tempo work. I usually consider my sparring rounds as my tempo training. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go do sprints, but it tends to get pushed off. I have been supplementing ROP ladders for my extra strength work when I can get it in. I find the cleans, presses, and pull ups all translate well to gripping, pulling, and holding during my training. I made one other adjustment, I use Pavel's StrongFirst for Grappling as my A+A. I loved the idea of getting the work in, while saving our old shoulders!

Nothing in particular for the tempo work. I usually consider my sparring rounds as my tempo training. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go do sprints, but it tends to get pushed off. I have been supplementing ROP ladders for my extra strength work when I can get it in. I find the cleans, presses, and pull ups all translate well to gripping, pulling, and holding during my training. I made one other adjustment, I use Pavel's StrongFirst for Grappling as my A+A. I loved the idea of getting the work in, while saving our old shoulders!

That's awesome! The only that stopped me from trying Novocaine is I couldn't find any information on how to do threshold tempo work without running and didn't find much info on the HIRT repeats.

Found this little gem on Uphill Athlete and will likely use it when I start to run more frequently (I've been mostly rucking/swimming for my LISS work due to how stupid hot it is where I work).

Don't shy away from running. It's the easiest way to gauge your fitness. After 2-4 weeks you'll be on your way. Jogging is a 60% effort. Running starts at 70%. No need to go faster than 93% unless you are competing. Then 1-2 repetition runs at 100% effort with 20-30 minute rest between them will have you well-prepared.

Back
Top Bottom