all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Saturday

Reps and stuffs
A1) Single arm rows - 26 kgs x 8 x 5 sets
A2) Dips - 26 kgs x 6 x 4 sets

Later that day
A1) Hip Belt Squats- 52 kgs x 10 x 5 sets

Various practices, FL, OAP, neck bridges, dragon pistols.

No sleep last night. Pretty much decided at 4 am that I would just go workout at Luxembourg at six. Did my first half in less than ten minutes. Then walked around. I got paranoid of being in a closed park so I waited a bit until more people showed. Then did second part. Felt pretty good for not sleeping. Too much on the old noggin, stayed up reading then playing guitar then working on an essay. Time just flew.

Monday

Barbell
A1) Decline Press - 105 kgs x 3,5,3
A2) Chins - 26 kgs x 3,3/ Snatch - 52 kgs x 3,3
B1) High Bar Squat - 130 kgs x 3,3,3

Decline press off blocks. I use the blocks to make it more like a bench so my elbows don’t get to rest and the ROM is a bit further. Second set felt great, 3rd set not as great.

Had trouble with my pull. My back is acting knotty(naughty), perhaps from so many pullups lately but they’re the best upper body pull for strength training I feel. Maybe I’ll alternate some pendlay rows in there every now and then.

Squats felt pretty solid. Is it me or are my legs getting longer??? Dunno when I’ll throw low bar back in but I’m enjoying accessory lifts. I wonder if beltless squats will help my future squat with a belt. I always felt much stronger with one on squats.

Decline Press

Skwaaats

Hello @Philippe Geoffrion

Policemen, military and LEO guys in general are almost "everywhere" since terrorist attacks a few years ago. I guess this is more something "psychological" than anything else, to give a feeling a security. For a while, population wanted to feel safe and actually see full gear tactical dudes in the streets. But now...

However, a few notes about most of them as they are
- not trained to properly react in an urban environment (cover, move, shooting skills, etc..). Budget issue I guess
- not trained in close combat (self defense with bare hands, stick / knife fighting)
- weapons they use are not necessarily appropriate (MAG G1 / Beretta / Glock / Sig Sauer are 9mm which could be ok... However FAMAS, HK / GK are not because they are high initial speed rounds...which means it would probably go through the target (assuming this is short range fighting) and could be harmful for someone behind)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Policemen, military and LEO guys in general are almost "everywhere" since terrorist attacks a few years ago. I guess this is more something "psychological" than anything else, to give a feeling a security. For a while, population wanted to feel safe and actually see full gear tactical dudes in the streets. But now...

However, a few notes about most of them as they are
- not trained to properly react in an urban environment (cover, move, shooting skills, etc..). Budget issue I guess
- not trained in close combat (self defense with bare hands, stick / knife fighting)
- weapons they use are not necessarily appropriate (MAG G1 / Beretta / Glock / Sig Sauer are 9mm which could be ok... However FAMAS, HK / GK are not because they are high initial speed rounds...which means it would probably go through the target (assuming this is short range fighting) and could be harmful for someone behind)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Wow thanks for the lowdown @pet'. Very detailed summary of the law enforcement. Yes this makes sense now. Military personnel also seem quite common. Yea, the FAMAS seems to be the most common rifle I see among them. But thank you for this, it’s intriguing to me. Maybe I should ask if they’d like to train?? A lot of these fellas look like the gear they’re carrying is heavier than they are!

Full gear is usually relatively heavy, even if the weight is fairly well arranged.

The bulletproof vest by itself is roughly 11kg. A loaded Famas is slightly more than 4. Usually, they also carry other gear (communication, magazines, first aid kit, etc...). Even shoes are not that light... On average, I would say they carry about 20kg.

Anti-terrorist units are even more heavily geared (up to 40), but their use is very specific and tactics they use are different. The shield the first guy carry to protect the assault team weighs 20kg. This is why these dudes are strongly built (75kg+).

As far as the military we see in the street, moving under load is hard. We do not have full ROM, move slower, etc... Not that long 2 military were attacked by a single guy with a knife. The two were badly wounded (hospital and intensive cares) before they controlled the guy. In tactical environment like so, there's a rule a thumb. If someone wants to attack a soldier, assuming there is a slight element of surprise (not necessarily coming from behind, even if this would be "the best option" from the aggressor's standpoint), if the guy is at 5m, he is likely to get the results he wants. Indeed:
- when they are geard up, they move in slow motion
- there is always an element of surprise (reaction time)
- after long hours of patrol, vigilance may be altered
- they have to adjust the shoot (not missing the target)
- are not supposed to shoot anyway (excepted if the guy attack with a pistol). I know this is weird...but that's the law

They have a tough and awkward job I think.

Sometimes, you can talk to them, to ask for your way for instance. Training, well...why not ;) let me know xD

Kind regards,

Pet'

Full gear is usually relatively heavy, even if the weight is fairly well arranged.

The bulletproof vest by itself is roughly 11kg. A loaded Famas is slightly more than 4. Usually, they also carry other gear (communication, magazines, first aid kit, etc...). Even shoes are not that light... On average, I would say they carry about 20kg.

Anti-terrorist units are even more heavily geared (up to 40), but their use is very specific and tactics they use are different. The shield the first guy carry to protect the assault team weighs 20kg. This is why these dudes are strongly built (75kg+).

As far as the military we see in the street, moving under load is hard. We do not have full ROM, move slower, etc... Not that long 2 military were attacked by a single guy with a knife. The two were badly wounded (hospital and intensive cares) before they controlled the guy. In tactical environment like so, there's a rule a thumb. If someone wants to attack a soldier, assuming there is a slight element of surprise (not necessarily coming from behind, even if this would be "the best option" from the aggressor's standpoint), if the guy is at 5m, he is likely to get the results he wants. Indeed:
- when they are geard up, they move in slow motion
- there is always an element of surprise (reaction time)
- after long hours of patrol, vigilance may be altered
- they have to adjust the shoot (not missing the target)
- are not supposed to shoot anyway (excepted if the guy attack with a pistol). I know this is weird...but that's the law

They have a tough and awkward job I think.

Sometimes, you can talk to them, to ask for your way for instance. Training, well...why not ;) let me know xD

Kind regards,

Pet'
Ha, I doubt I’ll ask them to lift! But that’s interesting these gear weights. I remember Pavel talking about training military, law enforcement with the specific kettlebell weights relative to their gear ie pullups and pistols mostly (a OAP with this weight on a vest would be crazy impressive) and I see from your log, you do pullups with 40 kgs, which is also, impressive.

Tuesday

Reps
A1) Plate rows - 2 x 26 kgs x 10 x 5 sets
A2) Pushups - 26 kgs x 10 x 5 sets
B1) Well Squats x 2 x 26 kgs x 15 x 3 sets
B2) Swings - 26 kgs x 10 x 5 sets

Reps. Feel like reps for legs help me stay limber and my squats feel better. Pushups done with26 kgs on back. Actually really like weighted pushups.

Friday

Strength
A1) Press - 62 kgs x 3 x 3 sets
A2) Chins - 26 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
B1) Jefferson DL - 156 kgs x 3,5

Did a different loading for the bar, a bit precarious, impossible to clean. Upper back feeling tight. Pecs sore after Plyo day, strangely, along with abs and hip flexors from sprints.

I have two grip options with the rack, ultra wide, or narrow. In future, I’ll go narrower and use less weight, since I’m far weaker here. Had to get in and out today.

Cut my Jefferson DL short a set because others wanted to use the bar, so just pushed to 5 reps to hurry and scurry out.

Chins gave no issue to my upper back.

Saturday

Endurance/RE

4 Rounds
A1) BW Rows - x 25
A2) Elevated Pushups x 25
A3) BW Squats x 25

100 rep day. Today’s session really turned into conditioning as opposed to repetition work. Sleep was poor last night. I had a rendezvous at noon at Fancoise-Xavier metro for lunch with a friend at my place. Woke up to downpour at 9:30 with a wait lasting until 10:30, severely reducing my allotted time. The walk from Invalides to Luxembourg surpasses a half hour.

As I departed, my brilliant mind decides to cut through a side street in hopes of reducing travel time. Never a great idea in Paris...whose street grid is a spiderweb more so then a tic tac toe board, this after a 100 meter detour, I found myself hopelessly waylaid south. So I began to run...down Rue de Sèvres and the 6 line metro, past Montparnasse–Bienvenüe, the only skyscraper in Laris until finally reaching the edge of Luxembourg at 11:15, giving me fifteen minutes to complete the routine and run back. Naturally, I could’ve texted my friend to rearrange plans but I saw it as a challenge I could complete. And I hate being late to anything, even if by a minute.

I found it a nice challenge, a punch the clock workout as Dan John would say. I felt great after hitting all the reps, which set by set, were not completely unbroken on the rows and pushups. The squats weren’t as challenging, but I made it back to Francois-Xavier cathedral moments before the noon bells tolled.

Sunday

Power/DE

5 Rounds of all
A1) Sprint -40 meters
A2) Clean and Push Press- 60 kgs x 3

B1) Power Snatch- 60 kgs x 2
B2) Dead PlyoPushup (against band) - x 3

C1) Jump Squat (paused) - 60 kgs x 3
C2) Pendlay Row - 60 kgs x 3

To my delight, I arrived at Luxembourg to discover a bar has been brought! This bar is thickkkk and short but long enough for snatches. I was giddy over this.

First pairing went smooth. As a lankier fellow, my strength lies in stretch reflex and not static starts. My sprint is slower off the blocks but my top velocity higher. Watch Gatlin race Bolt and you’ll see what I mean This, I approach today with that goal, improving starting strength.

I used the bar quite thought. I’d give it’s weight at 7-8 kgs. I test this by doing a one a curl or front raise and assessing the difficulty.

Sprints are starting to feel powerful. Focusing on force off ground plus increasing my start speed and posture. I think I’ll continue sprinting twice a week. Push press feeling good. Try to make the plates clink at the top every rep to ensure power is maximal.

Snatches were fun but harder. I took a short break between each rep. Because the bar is so far, grip really is a mild limiter. Pushups done hand release style, band around the back and anchored beneath palms. Focus is to go from bottom retracted scap position to top protracted scap position and reach airborne position quickly.

Squat jumps are done with a pause in the bottom. Once again, like my sprints, the start feels slower before parallel but I still get a good airborne height. Had to clean and press the weight onto my back and press it back over to finish which adds a little extra fatigue.

Pendkay rows were smooth. I’m beginning to love my power day.

Monday REST

Tuesday: Strength/Tension/Grind

A1) Front Lever Rows (tucked) x 5,5,5
A2) Floor Press - 105 kgs x 5,5 (paused), 7
B) Zercher Squat - 140 kgs x 3 x 2 sets
C) Janda Sit-ups x 3,3,3

Went to Luxembourg to do a bar day anddddd it’s gone. ? Sigh, what can you do. Made the metro journey to the canal.

Floor Press is surpassing 5 reps on the regular now so more paused work. May do longer pauses or slow the eccentric or narrow the grip.

Did FL. Rows instead of pullups. A good horizontal pull for strength day. Gives the spine a rest and also...is hard to do many reps.

Zerchers were tough. My stance is too narrow for ideal with this bar and a bit of windmill on my first rep but got the lifts in.

I need to do more midsection work if I’m to see my back squat ( and a lot of other stuff) improve. These sit-ups were tough...my abs were sore only hours later. Another good grind move for today. Hanging leg raises may make up the other day

Floor Press
Zercher
Janda Sit-ups
April 13, 2021

Last edited:

You are doing wonderful stuff ! I really like the "DIY" aspect of it, and the great numbers as well ! ;)

As far as lifting is concerned, what one is after is some sort of spine stiffness (because your back has to stay straight). This may be different for other sport, such as boxing, wrestling, etc... For a while, I stopped doing heavy swings (32+). I was super amazed when I saw I could OA swing the 40. Legs were maintained using trailing and pistol squats.

A "complete" core routine covers:
- anti extension (dragon flags, planks)
- anti rotational flexion (carries, one arm push ups)
- anti rotation (one arm push ups, HLR with slight angle, Palloff presses)
- anti flexion with neutral spine (HLR)

As you see, a steady diet of HS plank (if you do not have something to do the DF), OAP, and HLR is simple yet effective.

There are plenty of way to do it:
- Dedicated session (2-3x a week, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
- Some sort of daily dose (only about 2 sets of 5 reps)

In both cases, you can do them as a circuit, or finish an exercise before starting the next one.

I hope that can help you, even if I am far from an expert !

Kind regards,

Pet'

You are doing wonderful stuff ! I really like the "DIY" aspect of it, and the great numbers as well ! ;)

As far as lifting is concerned, what one is after is some sort of spine stiffness (because your back has to stay straight). This may be different for other sport, such as boxing, wrestling, etc... For a while, I stopped doing heavy swings (32+). I was super amazed when I saw I could OA swing the 40. Legs were maintained using trailing and pistol squats.

A "complete" core routine covers:
- anti extension (dragon flags, planks)
- anti rotational flexion (carries, one arm push ups)
- anti rotation (one arm push ups, HLR with slight angle, Palloff presses)
- anti flexion with neutral spine (HLR)

As you see, a steady diet of HS plank (if you do not have something to do the DF), OAP, and HLR is simple yet effective.

There are plenty of way to do it:
- Dedicated session (2-3x a week, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
- Some sort of daily dose (only about 2 sets of 5 reps)

In both cases, you can do them as a circuit, or finish an exercise before starting the next one.

I hope that can help you, even if I am far from an expert !

Kind regards,

Pet'
@pet'

This. Is. Awesome.

I appreciate this so much. I was contemplating how to organize midsection training in my routine and your explanations and list are fabulous! Thank you for the kinds words, mon ami and for this extremely detailed and organized post!

You are welcome !

Some sports "only" require a stiff back. This is the case of weightlifting, Oly, etc...

This is why here on SF we read "crunches are bad". Truth is they do not apply, which is different. They are useful for a boxer who needs to curl up to be a smaller target. He also needs to twist to throw punches and kicks. This is why in this case, Russian twists, bicycles, wipers, etc... are useful. Plank is always necessary to get a balanced lower back (crunch (or even HLR) = flexion ; plank = extension).

Some activities may need all. MMA is a good example. If you want to lift the opponent, this is safer and more effective to do it with straight back (even if it may rarely be the case because the opponent is moving). Then, the MMA guy also needs to be strong while twisting, curling, (basically all angles and ROM). This is why get ups are usueful. Military are in the same situation.

We really need to the core of a whole system, in 3D. Then, we need to accurately assess what are we training for.

Suspension training drastically works stabilizers.

To caricature, a DL strong as hell will not transfer that well to a boxer because it will not teach him how to curl. Reverse is also true. Doing 1000 flexions a day will not help that much to a stronger DL.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Wednesday-Off

Thursday

warmup + core 3 rounds
A1) Dead bugs (banded pullover) x 3R/3L
A2) Palloff Press - x 5R/5L

Reps
A1) pullups (vary widths) x 10 x 5 sets
A2) Dips - Bw x 10, 12 kgs x 10, 26 kgs x 10, 12 kgs x 10, Bw x 10
A3) BSS ( foot elevated) - Bw x 10, 26 kgs x 10, 52 kgs x 10, 26 kgs x 10, Bw x 10

Midesction work done at start as it’s high tension.

Back
Top Bottom