all posts post new thread

Barbell Deadlifts everyday?

King kaul

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi,

Can I do deadlifts everyday? I want to improve my grip strength and trapezius muscles.
How many sets and reps should I do if I’m doing deadlifts everyday?

Thanks.

This plan is 5 days a week. I've used it several times over the past year. Alongside other programs, or when doing unstructured work. I was using the Trap Bar and I took my 1RM from 400 to 430, without much stress at all. You get constant practice with a moderately heavy load, doing 5 singles per session. Really helped with my setup.

Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst

Can I do deadlifts everyday?
Kind of. When starting out you can do them with higher frequency. Eventually you start getting to heavier weights and every day becomes a detriment.
Pick up Power to the People, it has a great 5x a week deadlift routine in there.

I'm a fan of Steve Justa's singles.

Start at 70 to 75% of your 1RM

7 days a week.
Day 1 - 3 x 1
Day 2 - 5 x 1
Day 3 - 7 x 1
Day 4 - 9 x 1
Day 5 - 11 x 1
Day 6 - 13 x 1
Day 7 - 15 x 1

Rest between sets is whatever you deem necessary.

Add weight*, restart at 3 x 1

Do this for 4 weeks, retest your 1RM, and start another cycle.

If I were still competing, I always use Justa's singles a month or 2 before my meet date. Get a ton of practice with sub maximal singles. Pushing up my strength in the 70 to 85% range of my 1RM.

* - how much weight you add depends on your starting point. If you're starting with 100 pounds, adding 20 pounds (as prescribed by Justa) is not going to work out for you very long. In general, you want to start at 70% and progress to 85% by the end of your 4 week cycle. So choose your weight jumps carefully.

I did Steve Justa singles program for a while a few years ago, deadlifting 7 days a week. You might benefit more from doing something that covers more bases like a 5x5 program that contain multiple lifts like reload. There is also a free program to try out some plan strong programming. The pdf is at the bottom. I've done plan strong plans a few times and it produces some awesome gains too. And it's only three days per week.

Last edited:
Deadlifts too often may cause a low back injury. Even if you are young and strong, you need time a rest the muscles and joints. I would do Deadlifts 2 or 3 times per week. To blasts the traps I would suggest Upright Rows. To increase Grip you can do Pullups, 1-arm Kettlebell Swings.

Hi,

Can I do deadlifts everyday? I want to improve my grip strength and trapezius muscles.

Thanks.
Can you? Yes. Hector Guiterrez did a series on it on YouTube. You can find those videos here - https://www.youtube.com/@strongashec

Is that the best way to improve your grip strength and traps? Nah brah.

I'd be tempted to focus on carries for a month to work those areas.

I followed the Deadlift every day protocol someone linked, but used it with squats and it worked fine. Biggest area of concern might be grip. Don't be afraid to take an extra day off. I think I averaged around 5.5 days per week. Just take an extra day off every once in a while if your joints or hands feel sore/achy/tired.

That depends on lots of things. Good program suggestions in other messages already. Say more about what else you intend to do along with DLs and anything else you think might be relevant.

-S-
Im a professional golfer.
I’m doing my Golf workouts 5 days a week.
And Maffetone aerobic running 3 times a week, AGT sprints 2 times a week.
I do a 20 min warm up in the morning and 30 mins stretching routine in the evening.

I do a 20 min warm up in the morning and 30 mins stretching routine in the evening.
DL for strength--1-2x/week should be enough.

The question now becomes - are your trap and grip goals related to you as a professional athlete? And would implementing daily deadlifts negatively impact you as a professional athlete? I am not a professional athlete, but I would hazard that the first question's answer would be No and the second question's answer would be Yes. In which case I would suggest a better question would be "how can I improve my grip strength and grow my traps without impacting me as a professional golfer given this other work I am already doing?"

I would suggest a better question would be "how can I improve my grip strength and grow my traps without impacting me as a professional golfer given this other work I am already doing?"
Still tough to give a good answer w. the information shared.

To the OP,
With your training (golf 5x/week, aerobic work 3x/week, sprinting 2x/week, another hour of warm-up and stretching every day), I might suggest trading one sprint and one aerobic session for 2 general strength workouts a week. If, on the other hand, you have no interest in touching what you're already doing and just want to add some deadlifts to the mix, maybe experiment w. some light deadlifts a few times/week after your aerobic work and see how it goes.

Yes, you COULD deadlift everyday, but as noted, it's not the best way to achieve your stated goals (stronger grip and traps).

Currently, how much can you deadlift? What training have you done? Any issues?

Still tough to give a good answer w. the information shared.

To the OP,
With your training (golf 5x/week, aerobic work 3x/week, sprinting 2x/week, another hour of warm-up and stretching every day), I might suggest trading one sprint and one aerobic session for 2 general strength workouts a week. If, on the other hand, you have no interest in touching what you're already doing and just want to add some deadlifts to the mix, maybe experiment w. some light deadlifts a few times/week after your aerobic work and see how it goes.

Yes, you COULD deadlift everyday, but as noted, it's not the best way to achieve your stated goals (stronger grip and traps).

Currently, how much can you deadlift? What training have you done? Any issues?
I can deadlift 110 kg for 5 reps. Recently got Fat Gripz which attaches on the barbell and makes the grips thicker which puts more focus on the grip and forearm muscles.
I just wanted to do deadlifts as I felt it is the most complete exercise. It works everything.
I’ve remained injury free and would like to keep it that way.

I think DLs w. the fat grips might be about all you need (mixing it up occasionally of course) as long as you intelligently program it and don't get greedy.

I don't do regular deadlifts anymore because I inevitably overdo them. I tend to stay humble with axle deadlifts and deadlift variants.

Steve Justa had a singles program you could use for big movements that was 7 days a week. You would need razor sharp form and focus and be humble enough not to go too heavy too fast, but it would work.

He had an every other day version also, I did that for my log press before and it helped me break past a plateau.

I'm doing Easy Strength where I do 10 reps of deadlifts as part of that 4-5 times a week. for some context my best ever 1RM is 160kg at 80kg b/w, not tested for a while but it's probably more like 150kg currently.

For my 2x5 I'm doing 90kg, for the 5/3/2 I'm doing 90kg/110kg/130kg, and for the six singles I build up to 140kg. Going OK so far but I wouldn't do it long term (doing ES for 10 weeks/40 workouts).

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks.
You can. Depending on strength -levels and/or experience.
Whats your numbers now?
How professional of a a golfer are you, like +6 or +8 hcp?
Cause then a different question would be, do you really want to add more to whats already a lot? For it might be working really well for you.

This plan is 5 days a week. I've used it several times over the past year. Alongside other programs, or when doing unstructured work. I was using the Trap Bar and I took my 1RM from 400 to 430, without much stress at all. You get constant practice with a moderately heavy load, doing 5 singles per session. Really helped with my setup.

Daily Dose Deadlift Plan | StrongFirst
+1 to that program. It got my my highest deadlift ever at 320 lbs at age 53 after finishing a run of the Daily Dose Deadlift program.

Back
Top Bottom