all posts post new thread

Forum Business Forum Reorganization

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The button is associated with the user, not the post, and nothing about how that feature works has changed as part of the forum reorganization.
I'm sure there used to be a separate button at the bottom of each post to "start a conversation." And that button would quote the post in the message and put the thread title in the message subject.

On desktop/laptop, hover your mouse over the username and you will see it.
Sure, you can do this to start a conversation, but it just opens a blank message with no subject. It was very convenient to have the post automatically quoted in the message so it was clear what I was responding to. Now, there is no way to directly insert a quote from a post into a private message, although you can do it by inserting a quote into the thread reply window, copying it, and then starting a conversation and pasting it into the message.

Last edited:
I'm sure there used to be a separate button at the bottom of each post to "start a conversation." And that button would quote the post in the message and put the thread title in the message subject.
If this is the case, it's possible that it was either part of a forum software upgrade in which the underlying feature disappeared, or it's something that's still available that was turned off here. Since you seem certain of this - it's not something I recall - I will ask the forum software people about it and report back.

Do you recall if it was specific to one post or to the thread?

I do see something at the bottom, after the word Share, but that's not the same thing. I will let you copy a link to the thread onto your clipboard, and I see an Email option there as well, but I don't think either of these are what you're talking about.

-S-

@Steve W., I have confirmed that this was never a feature of the base product of XenForo, our forum software since 2015.

That leaves open the possibility that you used it because we installed an add-on to the base product, and that this add-on wasn’t something that was updated when we updated our XF, either because the add-on wasn’t updated or because we thought no one was using it and therefore decided not to upgrade it.

More news as it becomes available …

-S-

It was specific to each post. I believe it was down at the bottom next to where the "Report" link currently is.

We have determined that this was an add-on we didn't update when we went to XF 2 a year or two ago. We have updated this add-on and the feature is again available for your (and everyone's) use.

-S-

Please bring the old forum back ...this is no fun. I literally had to post a thread to help figure out what was going on... I really really don't like this change. I know most people will get used to it eventually but the way things were organized before was more efficient and user friendly. I knew exactly where to go .. It's a clunky mess now.

I'm growing to like the new organization. It's sort of like the new posts view, which I never used before, but conveniently excludes the logs and nutrition posts. I also don't use the topic categories to filter the general discussion posts, but it's there if you only want to see one topic category at a time, as if they were in separate subforums.

Since threads with new posts move to the top, the big potential drawback would be if there was so much new posting activity that relatively recent active threads got pushed off the first page too quickly, and consequently were buried due to lack of visibility. Whereas, if posts were divided into separate subforums, a separate first page for each gives more space for recent posts to stay visible. But, again, you can basically recreate that just by sorting with the topic categories.

I honestly cant even tell a difference. And I mean that in a positive way. I just log on and hit "New Posts" like usual.

Eric

Since threads with new posts move to the top, the big potential drawback would be if there was so much new posting activity that relatively recent active threads got pushed off the first page too quickly, and consequently were buried due to lack of visibility.

One can go to the end of New Posts rather than the beginning. Or a combination of that and looking at the newest threads. I use both options and only rarely just look at what's newest.

-S-

@Steve Freides
I noticed you posted a sticky with links to the latest articles.

IIRC, links to the latest articles used to be at the bottom of every forum page. Now there is a general link to "articles," among other things, but there used to be links to the titles of several of the most recent ones. That's where I would usually first notice that a new article was posted. It was very convenient.

@Steve Freides
I noticed you posted a sticky with links to the latest articles.

IIRC, links to the latest articles used to be at the bottom of every forum page. Now there is a general link to "articles," among other things, but there used to be links to the titles of several of the most recent ones. That's where I would usually first notice that a new article was posted. It was very convenient.
I created my thread because the article titles aren't going to appear at the bottom in the latest revision of the forum. I will pass your opinion along and thank you for sharing it.

-S-

I find that there is too much underlined font on the overview of posts. At least the OP's names, and dates would not need extra highlighting. Personally I would probably also make all infos that are NOT the thread's title a little lighter (medium-dark grey).

Only the most important info (i.e. the thread) should be highlighted, IMHO.

Thanks for the effort to enable a great user experience.

I find that there is too much underlined font on the overview of posts. At least the OP's names, and dates would not need extra highlighting. Personally I would probably also make all infos that are NOT the thread's title a little lighter (medium-dark grey).

Only the most important info (i.e. the thread) should be highlighted, IMHO.

Thanks for the effort to enable a great user experience.
yeah all that underlined looks pretty ugly..

@Steve Freides it appears we lost one functionality/button from the top bar, one that looked like a lightning bolt or something similar if I remember right? In any case, I found it useful.

It is very much alike the "new posts" button that we have on top of every page, but it is far more convenient since one doesn't have to scroll all the way back up to use it.

I will investigate; it’s not a thing I ever used but I do remember seeing it.

-S-

@Antti, I just took a look at the forum of the company that makes our forum software, and I don't see the lightning bolt there, either, so it may be something that not many people used that has been removed in a recent update. I will investigate further and let you know if I find out anything interesting.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom