all posts post new thread

Forum Business Forum Reorganization

Problems, Questions, Suggestions
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Steve Freides , @BJJ Shawn & @william bad butt upon further investigation I also still have the lightning bolt on my android phone running chrome. My earlier, perhaps mistaken, complaint came from my experience on opera on my windows pc.

I wonder if it's user error or if some features are being cut out on some platforms and what the future will be like.

Have we lost the ability to edit old posts? I used to edit Page 1 of my training log to tick off achievements but I can't anymore

Have we lost the ability to edit old posts? I used to edit Page 1 of my training log to tick off achievements but I can't anymore
There seems to be a limited window to edit posts, only a day or so. I would prefer to be able to edit old posts because I cringe when I look at an old post of mine and see typos or statements that are unclearly worded.

On the other hand, old posts are sort of the historical record of the forum. I also cringe a bit when I stumble across old posts of mine that express thinking I've evolved away from and don't currently stand behind. But those posts represent where I was at the time and I wouldn't want to be doing Ministry of Truth style rewrites to make sure we were always at war with Eurasia. It could also mess with the continuity of old threads with unedited responses to edited comments, or edited rejoinders to old arguments.

Last edited:
@Steve W., the continuity of the thread is the biggest reason why we don't allow editing of old posts.

Provided the volume doesn't get overwhelming, y'all are welcomed to PM me if there's something you think should be edited but the forum won't let you edit it yourself.

-S-

Regarding the lightning bolt, here's what I think is happening:

It will appear or not depending on available space, among other considerations.

To the extent we're able to control where it appears on various platforms and screen sizes, I believe the only difference between it and the New Posts button is the inclusion of new _profile_ posts in the What's New (lightning bolt).

-S-

Not been here for a bit, partly the changes, and now it looks worse imo. Think might have lost me tbh. It's very different to every other forum format I've seen. Very unuser friendly.

@Red_and_Black, I suggest you try it for a while. Feedback has been positive in that people see more topics and threads than they otherwise might, and the Topic functions much like the old individual forum sections did, so in this way, the current arrangement might be seen as being the best of both worlds.

-S-

Maybe I need to change the way I use it. I have it bookedmarked, and when I click on that I just get what looks like a very sparse forum with 3 main titles. I think passing traffic will see that and it'll look like nothing going on. I'll try using new posts more rather than the main page.Screenshot_2021-11-19 The Forum.png

Maybe I need to change the way I use it. I have it bookedmarked, and when I click on that I just get what looks like a very sparse forum with 3 main titles. I think passing traffic will see that and it'll look like nothing going on. I'll try using new posts more rather than the main page.
You have hit the nail on the head! I hope others who have bookmarked the forum will take note of our conversation here.

1. Change your bookmark to this: strongfirst.com/community/forums/discussion/

Note that, if you go to strongfirst.com and click on Forum, the above is where you'll be taken.

2. If, as you suggested, you wish to go to a New Posts page directly, change your bookmark to: strongfirst.com/community/whats-new/posts/

-S-

For some reason I cannot format posts on my phone anymore. I find this a bit annoying.

What does "format" mean in this case, please?

Thanks.

-S-
The top bar for formatting posts is light grey, i.e. I cannot use bold, italics, etc., nor can I use the "insert link/image/quote/media" functions. Usually I could activate these features, but not anymore.

Edit: Ah, I can actually click on the three dots for more options and activate formatting by clicking on [ ]. A bit confusing, as the dots are colored light grey, like all the nonclickable options (see picture below)

Screenshot_20211121-202643_Brave.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if what you're talking about is something we have control over, but I will ask, @Bauer. Thank you for the feedback.

-S-

@Bauer, I can confirm this is something that has changed and we do not like the change, so we will see about fixing this.

-S-

I also like the new lay-out of the forum. I especially like that you can easily access threads about bodyweight, breathing, kettlebells, all in the same main page.

What I am sometimes missing is a better way of organizing the different training programs. There is one button called Programming, but it does not give that good an access to the programs. The articles that come up might be a program, or it might be a theoretical article about programming. I would much prefer that the different concrete programs were organized after muscle groups or exercises that were used. For instance one thread will all military press programs. One with all pistol programs. One for all Snatch program etc etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom