all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

I find it difficult in the sense of exertion.... 30 breath + 30 head nods + 30 head rotation per side is a LOT of work compared to the other position
I think many people will find their "bottlenecks" in different places. for me, the side-lying positions have felt easiest so far even with flying the top leg up on the straight leg position, it's been doable.

but the dead bugs, I can max the rest of the initial ground positions protocol, but the dead bugs creep into my lower back. So, I'm just dealing with that in sets of 20 instead of 25, so far.

For me it’s weak muscles for the side plank.

I fatigue in my shoulder that is nearest the floor, and in my obliques (or whatever muscle is holding my hips up).

Think it’s the fact that I never do anything side on, so pressing directly sideways is using muscles I rarely use, and supporting my hips to stay elevated is difficult too.

I find it difficult in the sense of exertion.... 30 breath + 30 head nods + 30 head rotation per side is a LOT of work compared to the other position
It was mine too.

I was shocked at how weak I was in those positions when I first got started.

However, digging in, and pressing through has been a MAJOR game changer for me personally.

As a result, I'm much more resilient than I was pre-P3, which is saying something because I thought I was pretty resilient before it.

I think many people will find their "bottlenecks" in different places. for me, the side-lying positions have felt easiest so far even with flying the top leg up on the straight leg position, it's been doable.
100%.
but the dead bugs, I can max the rest of the initial ground positions protocol, but the dead bugs creep into my lower back. So, I'm just dealing with that in sets of 20 instead of 25, so far.
Make sure your breathing is correct for the dead bugs. This is a major issue for many. And remember not to brace (if you're doing so).

Is the P3 program most folks here are talking about the same as Sore Joint Solution?

I have Manly Mobility but I'm guessing Sore Joint Solution is more comprehensive.

Also my neck has gotten sore from increasing my neck nods and rotations to 20 reps each, each side of Side Lying.

Hello,
I started SJS two weeks ago (and I'm practicing everyday)... and I have a few questions for @Geoff Neupert .
I'm asking here because they might be of interest to other people.

The lying down position seems the most difficult for me. Is this normal? I have, I think, a good anterior chain (I can do several controlled HLRs without any problem for example), but the volume of dead bugs puts me in trouble; Is this normal (or usual)? In fact, I was able to get the other two positions into "maintenance" mode (at level 4) quite quickly, but the lying down position requires a much longer work.
I've seen that it's possible to spread the exercises throughout the day (lying down in the morning, then on your side later, etc.), but can the targeted volume for a given exercise (in this case the deadbug) also be spread out, or should we aim for all the reps for that exercise in a single session?

My second question: should we "inhale and block the breath" before we lower our arms and legs (that's what I'm doing right now) or should we inhale/exhale while lowering/raising?

And one last question about the deadbug: I sometimes hear that you should aim to "push your lower back into the ground". Is this a good thing or should we just aim to keep the natural curvature of the back without letting the tailbone tip into the floor?

Thanks in advance,
Matthieu
PS. there is a direct impact for me of the exercises in the lying position and on the side on the toe touch and squat !

Last edited:
Hey everybody- anyone had an issue in Phase 1, side lying neck nods during which you get incredibly nauseous? I can make it to 6 nods before I start feeling it go south. @Geoff Neupert what say you, sir!

Hey everybody- anyone had an issue in Phase 1, side lying neck nods during which you get incredibly nauseous? I can make it to 6 nods before I start feeling it go south. @Geoff Neupert what say you, sir!
@Paul Disney,

Yes, it's happened to others. Just take it slow - or much s-l-o-w-e-r.

You can also just work on moving your eyes only for the specified reps, the slowly add in the nods with a reduced range of motion and slowly start increasing.

Give this a shot and report back in.

Hello,
I started SJS two weeks ago (and I'm practicing everyday)... and I have a few questions for @Geoff Neupert .
I'm asking here because they might be of interest to other people.

The lying down position seems the most difficult for me. Is this normal? I have, I think, a good anterior chain (I can do several controlled HLRs without any problem for example), but the volume of dead bugs puts me in trouble; Is this normal (or usual)? In fact, I was able to get the other two positions into "maintenance" mode (at level 4) quite quickly, but the lying down position requires a much longer work.
I've seen that it's possible to spread the exercises throughout the day (lying down in the morning, then on your side later, etc.), but can the targeted volume for a given exercise (in this case the deadbug) also be spread out, or should we aim for all the reps for that exercise in a single session?

My second question: should we "inhale and block the breath" before we lower our arms and legs (that's what I'm doing right now) or should we inhale/exhale while lowering/raising?

And one last question about the deadbug: I sometimes hear that you should aim to "push your lower back into the ground". Is this a good thing or should we just aim to keep the natural curvature of the back without letting the tailbone tip into the floor?

Thanks in advance,
Matthieu
PS. there is a direct impact for me of the exercises in the lying position and on the side on the toe touch and squat !

The deadbugs work better as one workout. It is similar to the plank. How long can you hold the position while moving your limbs independently?

I can do a set of 25 reps max (each side, so 50 reps total), so it is approximately 1min30-2min.
If I take 1-2 min rest, the second set is approximatively 15 reps (I stop here because if I continue I feel it in the lower back).
The last sets are 10 reps.

@Paul Disney,

You can also just work on moving your eyes only for the specified reps, the slowly add in the nods with a reduced range of motion and slowly start increasing.

Okay, thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I'll do as you prescribe and report back. Thanks for the quick answer, Geoff.

Has anyone else gotten DOMS from trying to do all those dead bugs?

I have core soreness today and I'm trying to decide if it was from the dead bugs.

Has anyone experienced nausea with the head nods? I get strong nausea in all three positions within 10 reps. I have to halt training for a couple minutes to recover before I can move on to the next exercise. Has anyone dealt with this and did it dissipate? Thanks!

Has anyone experienced nausea with the head nods? I get strong nausea in all three positions within 10 reps. I have to halt training for a couple minutes to recover before I can move on to the next exercise. Has anyone dealt with this and did it dissipate? Thanks!
Literally a few posts up, Geoff said:
@Paul Disney,

@SUOMI-PUKU thanks! I hadn’t read the entire thread yet.

Curious as to the reason for nausea. Does anyone know the mechanism? I’m not usually inclined to nausea.

@SUOMI-PUKU thanks! I hadn’t read the entire thread yet.

Curious as to the reason for nausea. Does anyone know the mechanism? I’m not usually inclined to nausea.
Is the room by chance feel like it's spinning around you? Rapid head and eye movements can trigger vertigo in some people, which can make you feel nauseous.

Back
Top Bottom