all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Friday: 5/3/1 Bench W5
Knee is still roughly the same, antibiotics working slowly on the knee itself. Level of total stress in terms of HR steadily going down, fever went away immediately with the antibiotics.
5x3 clapping pushups (full version. These kinda fatigued me for bench.)
Bench: 5x95lbs, 5x115lbs, 7x125lbs (Matched my reps 3 weeks ago, but it’s basically a PR considering I’m using fat grips, and did all those pushups.
5x10x95lbs (5 sets, harder than I suspected lol)

Last edited:
Saturday: Towel Chin+ Row Progression
4x5 thick towel chinups
3x8x95lbs bent over rows. More upright, 45 degrees or so because of my knee. Grip very tired, and it’s hard to feel the exercise— making the grip a little closer makes it easier by putting less load on my rhomboids/upper back, which are the main limiters on a bench width grip. Upper back seems weak. Not sure what the thing to do is, apart from keep rowing.
10x5 clapping pushups OTM (hard, got me breathing heavy).

I’m not happy with my gains in the past year, going to focus much more.

Last edited:
Monday: 5/3/1 press 6
3x65lbs,3x75lbs, 9x85lbs
(PR. I think I actually got 10, not sure)
35lbs KB pressx (2,3,5)x4
2x10 bent armbar presses. Was gonna do some pullups and Vups, but didn’t feel like it.

Last edited:
Tuesday Jan 25, 2023:
5/3/1 Chinups, Week 6

Chins: 1,2,3,4, 8x15lbs at 172lbs body weight

10x5 clapping pushups, spread across the rest of the workout.
Towel rows: 4x10 (hard)
5x10 box pistols— quickly found that my left knee was not ready for pistol or even cossack squats. Nuts. Gotta work back from underuse. Right leg is slowly getting better, still inactive though.
3x8 crappy 70lbs SLRDL

I’m starting to lose track of what week I’m on lol. Gonna go back and label them now.

Last edited:
Wednesday:
3x5 pullups- would have done 5, but that wouldn’t have been easy anymore. Doing pullups and pushups as easy training after my hard/main days. Skipped pushups to be fresh for tomorrow.
5x15 box pistols ( good quad pump)
3x10 OL wall sits (surprisingly hard)

Towel chinups: 5x5
3x8x95lbs fat grip bentover rows. My left index finger gave me problems, adjusting my hand position on the Fat grips fixed it. For good, hopefully. Not sure if I’m getting full scapular retraction on the top, also going fairly fast but not super fast. Too lazy to change weight from yesterday.
7x7 clapping pushups, 2 mins rest. (power dropped off pretty fast after the first few sets/reps. Need to go back to 5s I think).
Superset with 7x10sec isometric holds at the bottom of a cossack squat, left leg only.

Saturday: extra hypertrophy/accessory day
Dips: 5x(2,3,5) in 15 minutes (felt a little weird for shoulders, perhaps because scapula aren’t fixed. Could also be stiff from benching.
3x5 pullups (moderate difficulty)

4x circuit:
15x wide grip rows for upper back w/ empty bar
12,12,15,15 diamond pushups (got tough)
10xtowel curls with 35lbs KB

Would’ve done more, but got cut short due to time. Good workout regardless.

Monday: 5/3/1 Press (Week 7)
BB fat Grip press: 75lbsx5, 80lbsx3, 91lbsx7 (I think I might have had 8, but I could have miscounted and last rep was suspect anyways.) (probably a PR)
35lbs KB press x(2,3,5)x5 in just over 10 minutes. Good delt burn.

Went to Ortho again, and my knee’s swelling has improved enough to delay surgery. When antibiotics finish today, we’ll see if it gets worse- if so, surgery. From there, we’ll do 1 to 3 3-day experiments where I increase my level of use and see if I can return to wrestling in time for districts. 1: throwing out crutches and walking everywhere, 2: return to squats, 3: return to wrestling.

5/3/1 Chins, Week 7
Chinups: 3x body weight, 2x15lbs, 1x25lbs
8x25lbs chinups (PR)
Fat Grip bent over rows: 3x8x85lbs (Felt Solid. Going a little fast because the fat grips make a prolonged set hard.
3x8x45lbs reverse curls (my elbows felt clunky with this. Did this because of a little bit of possible elbow trouble earlier.)
3x60sec deadbugs, 30 sec rest
3x5 pistols.

I’m getting rid of the third upper body day, I think it’s just too much combined load, and I don’t need to focus on dips right now.

Last edited:
5/3/1 Week 7 Bench
3x3 explosive clapping pushups
5x105lbs, 3x125lbs, 5x135lbs fat grip bench press (not sure if I got 5 or 6.. probably 6, but whatever. PR.)
5x10x95lbs bench press. Felt quite easy, will up weights next cycle.
1x35lbs armbar per side. Focusing on the stretch. Just a great cooldown.

Saturday Feb 4: Towell Chin progression
1,1,1,3 towel chins with a much more difficult towel than usual
5x5 towell chins with my usual towel (lost it for a minute, letting those hard sets stand in place of a sixth set.)

Skipped the rows. Don’t really like them anyways.

Monday through Thursday:
Knee is much better— swelling is gone and while my leg is still puffy, I’m returning to sport.

End ROM is still painful, but getting better. Strength imbalances, glutal amnesia on my right side, ext.
Wednesday: 3x5 pullups and dips, 2 short rope climbs.
3x10sec deep wall sit overcoming isometrics
Thursday: Press: 45lbsx5, 55lbsx2x5
Bench press 5’s: 55lbs, 75lbs, 95lbs, focus on speed.
Rows: 3x5x95lbs
Sets of 8 35lbs SLRDL: 3R, 2L
3x10sec deep wall sit overcoming isometrics (these seem to stress my quad tendons, but not in an injurious way.)
Bike: 5 mins Zone 2, 25 mins Tempo Intervals (staying in zone 1 and 2, settled on about 45rpms rest and 70rpms work.)

Lots of stance in motion Tuesday -Thursday
Quad and calve super sore on right side. Whatever.
Friday:
Warmup jog and gymnastics, 7 minutes stance-in-motion, doing defense and a few left-sided shots.
Have been doing lots of solo and wrestling dummy drills, today I worked in with the team. No high crotch/sweep shots, but I did basically everything else. No sparring.
Sprints, super slow because I can’t bring my knees very high.
20 minute tempo intervals: running, by feel as my HR monitor app is being annoying.

Last edited:
Friday and Saturday: District Championships
In the past week our coaches taught as a lot of junk technique, lots of silly stuff we aren’t going to use in a match. I shadow/dummy drilled most of my game plan though.

Districts Day 1: first round bye, second round loss to a solid wrestler. We scrambled in over/unders, me mostly on the defensive, then he blast doubled me from space because I was too high. Got turked, controlled the arm to the wrong side but got pinned by cradle.

Consolation round two: Beat a turd 8-2, one takedown (crappy single leg) and escape, 5 back points from far side cradles. Real crappy standing, got sucked into wrist/russian ties without much offense. Fortunately, he was trash.

Saturday, Districts Day 2:

8-5 decision win. Got taken down first round, stood up. Went down round 2, got in on his legs after a mat return and got a reversal. Got 2 more takedowns, sprawl go behings with the arm still sucked down over his shoulder. I let him suck on my elbow too much. Made better use of underhooks this match. Don’t see the point of playing outside if I’m getting taken down from space.

Blood Round: Second round loss by pin. Tough hand fighting to start with, got Prescotted and my hand touched at the edge of bounds, meaning I gave up the takedown. I got up over and over again but couldn’t cut away. Second round, kept getting up, but he eventually sucked my left arm back and used it to pin me.

Finished in the Blood Round, didn’t qualify for State. But given that I’m a second year wrestler who missed most of his season, I’m happy with how I wrestled today.

In another universe where I shot into my underhooks (my gameplan) I might have won the blood round. Or just got head and arm thrown and pinned in the first. Who knows.

Planning the next year.
Goals, updated:

Sport
:
-Compete in IBJJF 17yr division
-Wrestle in college

Strength (to be achieved before pre-season S&C starting sept. 6. I have 28 weeks, for 7x4week cycles.):
Hinge: -Power clean 1.5x body weight (250lbs), Clean-pull 2x bodyweight (330lbs)
Squat: Front Squat 1.5x Bodyweight, Overhead Squat Bodyweight
Pull: -70lbs weighted pullup (Watch me!)-50lbs towel pullup
Press: -Military Press bodyweight (165lbs) - Bench 1.5x bodyweight (250lbs)
Conditioning: -9:00 1.5 mile time (That would be a solid >51 VO2 max, and 75% of my previous score!), -SFG snatch test
-4.5 mile bike at similar time.
Abs as appropriate.
Joint health:
-Getups/armbars for shoulders/elbows
-Isometric hack squat for knees.

Planning:
First 12 weeks: Upper body Hypertrophy and Lower body Strength and Aerobic base and A+A
M
: Power Cleans, 5x5 Front Squats. 20 min snatches. 3 sets SL squats.
T: Push Press, 5x10 overhead press. 3-5 sets of triceps work. Tempo Cycling.
W: Pullups, Ab wheel, Fat grip curls. Slosh Pipe, Maff RUnning.
T: Power Cleans, 5x5 Clean Deadlifts. 20 min snatches. Iso Hack Squat, 3x10 SLRDLS,
F: Plyo Pushups, 5x10 bench press. 3-5 sets of triceps. External Rotations. Deadbugs, Tempo Running.
S: Towel Chin, rows. Neck work/shoulder work. Maff Cycling.

Next 16 Weeks: Upper Body Strength and Lower Body Power and Repeat Sprint Ability.
M
: 20 min IC FrSq. 20 min snatches. 3 sets SL squats. Slosh Pipe.
T: Push Press, 5x5 overhead press. 3 sets of triceps work. Tempo Cycling.
W: 5x5Pullups, HLR. Hill Sprints.
T: 3x3 clean deadlifts, 20min IC Power Cleans,. 20 min snatches. Iso Hack Squat, SLRDLS,
F: Plyo Pushups, 5x5 bench press. 3 sets of triceps. External Rotations. Deadbugs. Tempo Running.
S: 5x5Towel Chin, rows. Dragon Flags. Neck/shoulders. Squat Jumps.

Will need modification, mostly subtraction.

Last edited:
Monday 2/20/2023. Squat Day.
5 sets of 8 seconds wall sit Overcoming Isometrics, max contraction. about 90 degree flexion. Strengthening knees while letting bursitis fully recover. Should return to BJJ soon.
Hang Power Cleans: 95lbsx5, 115lbsx5, 135lbsx3+2 (rested for 15 seconds or so to let grip refresh. Bar slipping out of fingers a little. Felt pretty good today.)
3 sets of 5-10 35lbs KB snatches and half snatches. I feel like the half snatches are great for helping me learn to throw the bell onto the fingers. The full snatches were much more explosive and fluid though, stayed in the palm though. Should start taking videos.
Knees not ready for SL-Squats.

Last edited:
Tuesday: Press day:
Sore in traps, right glute and quad from yesterday. Nice.
BB push press: easy 3x3 with 95lbs

Barbell overhead press: 65lbs x 4x10, 8,2 (controlled tempo, rest-pause last set.) No fat grips here for now, might go back in pre/in-season

Skull Crusher w/ empty bar to chest: 3rir:
Nice burn/pump in triceps.

Airbike Tempo Intervals: 5 mins warmup at 45rpms, 20 mins tempo intervals: 10s at 65-70rmp work and 60s at 45rpm rest
Heart rate mostly stayed in Z1, crept into low Z2 a bit. Easy, enjoyable workout.

Last edited:
Wednesday: Pullup day:
Triceps are soooo sore.

Pullups: Aiming for 1 rir, pause at the bottom, control tempo. 10,6,5,4,4, 2 mins rest

Superset: 1 min rest between exercises. About 3 rir.
Fat grip curls: 10,9,8,7,7 (often not going all the way down. Probably should pause at the bottom.
Ab wheel (control, good depth): 10, 8, 7,7,7 (kept losing count lol. Ab wall unexpectedly gave out in set 3, had to pay better attention.)
Excellent pump.

30 minute run. Not sure that scotche hr moniter is accurate.

Last edited:
Thursday: Hinge Day:
Bis, lats, are sore, abs are VERY sore. yay.

3 sets of 5 cleans with 135lbs, 2 min rest. I think I'm catching a little forward.
5x5x165lbs clean deadlifts. Pretty easy, quads got a little tired over time. Started to set the bar down with round back/high hips towards the end, gotta stop that.
KB snatches: 5x(5+5) with 35lbs half snatch. Getting better at casting the bell onto the fingers. 1 minute rest, so heart rate went zoom without me noticing. Left side is noticable harder/jankier. Hips need to be controlled, need to not rotate.
3x8 70lbs SLRDLS per side, split into six sets. Right side is much shakier. Need to get that back. Very hard, had to go a bit fast.

A good, sub-hour session. Been looking forward to clean deads.

Back
Top Bottom