all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Sunday:
GTG Chinups: 2,1, a series of 3 more singles at the end of the day. Realized I should emphasize the easy in easy chinups.

Monday 10/3/21
Warmup- some haloes and bridges.
6x6-7 OA KB Swings x 35lbs.
Getups- 1x50lbs, 5x70lbs.

70lbs suitcase carries- short distance, 1/2 to 1/3 usual distance, but repeated for 10 rounds with little/no rest.
Hill sprint x2: Did a longer sprint than Thursday, but it was sluggish, so I finished with a shorter sprint on an easier hill.

Tuesday:
Pistols: 1,2,3,2,1, superset with sets of 3 haloes.
2H 50lbs Swings: 5 powerful sets of 5
(1,2,3,4)x3 bodyweight rows under the treadmill
(1,2)x5 35lbs KB Press.

Wed:
Superset: 6 pistol singles with sets of 2 haloes per side
5x5 L-sit raises. Hip flexors got tight on the last set, stretched them lightly after. Abs fatigued.
Roadwork: 1.70 miles in 27 minutes, alternating walking with running, did no calisthenics. Tried flat-footed hamstring dominant running, fatigued hams quickly and pounded the joints a little. Soon moved to toe-running, tried running downhill only, but it produced a bad feeling in my shins so I started walking down hills and running up some hills.

Out of curiosity who are you associated with concerning BJJ? Just wondering, my original school was a Gustavo school and then moved on to a Ribiero school, now I'm under a Gracie. I was military and moved a bunch.

Thursday:
OA 35lbs swings: 4 sets of 5.
5x 70lbs getups (50lbs warmup rep), left side got shaky towards the end.

KB Mile: 1 mile in 17:20 minutes with the 35lbs kettlebell. Went light on swings and skipped sprints because I was having pains in my lungs this afternoon when I fully inhaled. Grip hurts like hell, hamstrings also fatigued, lungs got some decent work as well.

Just realized I missed my slow fiber training yesterday, It's too late to make up now so I'm doing it tomorrow.

Friday:
35lbs press x(1,2,3,4,5)x2
50lbs press, 3 singles (Changed plans midway through workout)
Superset press with 5x5 70lbs KB FSq
10 pullup singles: 6 weeks till competition, and I like pullups better either way.
Forgot grip ST training again...

Saturday:
70lbs weighted hang to failure in 50 seconds.
0.64 mile ruck x 35lbs in 19:35 minutes. The load made my upper back sore, but it was relieved as soon as I got home.

Sunday:
GTG pullups: 3 sets of 2 singles, rest-pause style.

Weighed at 175.8 fasted yesterday morning. Weight cut is happening without too much trouble.

Monday:
10 haloes per side
8x4 OA Swingsx35lbs.
5x70lbs getups.
5 hill sprints- felt comfortable, but not very powerful.
ST Grip training: 6 sets
85lbs hang to failure in 45 seconds
85 lbs hang to failure in 33 seconds
70lbs hang to failure in 30 seconds
50lbs hang to failure in 35 seconds In the last few sets i've been slipping down to my fingertips, going to try to stay with palms on the bar
50lbs hang to failure in 29 seconds, need to use a different grip or further reduce weight.
bodyweight hang to failure in 45 seconds.

Tuesday:
5 sets of 10 50lbs swings- Got a headache at the end of the last set, guess I did the right volume. Grip got very fatigued by the end- perhaps not best to have done this immediently after ST heavy day. The grip soreness shows 2H swings are enough to train my grip.
(1,2)x5 Bodyweight rows.
Light presses: 35lbs press x 5,4,3,2,1, 50lbs C+Px1 I came up with this workout on the spot, love it because I can accumulate volume with the 35 and get some heavy work in with the 50. Gonna do more of this on heavy day. Felt like I'm gearing up for the last single.

Wednesday:
3 sets of front/back neck plank holds Skipping leg raises as my grip doesn't need any more work, and the front neck plank lights up my abs pretty well anyways.
Slow Fiber Light: 3 sets:
35lbs 47 second fingertip hang to failure (my previous training started on the palms, and gradually slipped down to fingertips. I think I'll do better and save the skin on my hands by starting on the fingertips.
35lbs fingertip hang for 37 seconds to failure.
Bodyweight hang for 45 seconds to failure.

Thursday:
5x5-6 50lbs swings- Swung that bell like it was an goddamn toy. I feel ready to start swinging the 70lbs bell. I also haven't had back problems since learning the "Bulgarian Goat-Bag Swing" tip from Dan John.
5 70lbs getups
Mixed carry: 50lbs rack carry and 70lbs suitcase carry till the 70lbs bell slipped out of my hand in the neighbors yard, switched hands then back. Felt very unstable, need to do more mixed/doubles carries.
2 sprints on wet, flat grass. My ankles started giving out on the second, and actually slipped and fell over when I stopped.

I've been doing the Tuesday/Thursday classes followed by the comp classes, doing no-gi classes on Friday when I think I can make them. I'm not gonna do more days for this tournament, because I don't see the need for the systemic fatigue that I got from 4 days/week of training and sparring last time around. I'm a 16 year old white belt without a driver's license, competing in a regional tournament.

I'm realizing that a lot of the variety I introduced is pointless or counterproductive. OA swings are supposed to build my grip, but I feel my grip working just as hard if not harder on two hand swings and other pulls. I shouldn't do rows until I'm good at pullups, ect. So I'm boiling down my schedule even more.

New schedule: 5 weeks from this saturday to competition
Mon
: Swings and Getups - light
Tues: Roadwork
Wed: Swings and Getups - heavy
Thurs: Pistols + Pullups
Fri: Leg Raises and Roadwork
Sat: Swings and Getups: Volume/Conditioning
Sunday: Off/Stretching

Warmup: Haloes/Pistols/Pullups Circuit
"Finisher" for Swings/Getups: Carries or Leg raises, and neck bridges, depending on what I feel like.

Grip training schedule:
Tues:
Slow Fiber easy day (sets attached below)
Fri: Slow Fiber hard day (sets attached below)

Attachments

• image_2021-10-14_214808.png
    image_2021-10-14_214808.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Friday: Pistols and Pullups: Superset: (1,2,3)X3 - pretty hard, maybe could have done another ladder though.

Saturday: 20 minute bike ride to work
35lbs press: 3, 5, 3
50lbs -press: 6x1
NL:17
L-sit raises: 3x3
ST heavy day: 8 sets
50lbs hang, about 45 seconds
50lbs hang, 44 seconds
50lbs hang for 35 seconds
35lbs hang to failure in 44 seconds
Failed to get all the sets done, going to do the other half tomorrow

Sunday:
50lbs hang to failure in ~50 seconds
50lbs hang to failure in 35 seconds I think I'm setting my feet on the ground just before my fingers slip off- need to get stricter
35lbs hang to failure in 35 seconds Not sure what happened here, actually had to push with my feet to reset my grip halfway through to make it (a small cheat). Maybe started with a bad grip.
35lbs hang to failure in 55 seconds Focused on getting a good grip this time- worked quite well.

Monday:
3x5 haloes
Sets of 5 2H swings: 24, 32, 24, 24 (Adding 1 set of 5 70lbs swings per day, occasionally backing off) Felt a little sluggish today.
Getups: 5x70lbs Felt unstable and weak at first, with concentration (and short pauses at each position) finished the getups with good form.
Finisher: neck bridges x 3 15 second holds per side, 3x5 leg raises (rest-paused the last one, 2-2-1.)

Went on a fun bike ride through my neighborhood, I enjoyed how efficient the mode of transportation was. My legs were tired when I went back home, but I know I still had plenty left in the tank. Cycling doesn't have as much carryover to sports as running, but you don't have to deal with that annoying level of mediocrity where walking is too easy but running is too hard. It's also very quad dominant, which I don't think is a good thing, but the enjoyability makes it worth it im my opinion.

Tuesday:
8x5 swings: 24, 24, 32, 24, 24, 32, 24, 24 (24 sets felt solid, with the 32 I felt shaky, not very strong. It was like a fast grind in those sets. Maybe should gtg with the 32 to build power and strength)
5x70lbs getups (Felt shaky, probably should have taken a de-load day. My arm was shaking as I finished the last rep. Left side was shakier than my right, unsurprisingly. )
I was fatigued, probably in abs, glutes, grip and back combined, and tried to do some farmer carries with my 32kg bell. I picked it up, walked two steps, and felt something in my back tweak, it felt like it was slipping out of place. I set it down, carefully carried my bells back to their spot with plenty of core tension, and the discomfort is still there, especially if I bend my back (Which I will cease to do.)

Hopefully it goes away within a few days.
I didn't notice it too much at BJJ, so that's good

Wednesday:
Slow-twitch grip training: 1 set
50lbs hang to failure in about 27 seconds. I'm angry about this, I'm going to do another with 35lbs.
50lbs hang, the same result as before. I thought I could make it if I got a better grip, but my grip is too fatigued from yesterday.
35 lbs hang for 30 seconds. Fingers slipped off and had to quickly jump back around 20 seconds. I think I need Monday to be heavy and Tuesday to be light, to be fresh for grip training. I totally failed today.

On Wednesdays and Sundays, I've been doing a decent amount of running while playing infection tag at youth group, even if I don't run.

Back
Top Bottom