all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Thursday: Swings and Getups
3 pistol singles
(1,2,3)x3 70lbs swings
3 70lbs getups
3 tactical pullup singles (from fingertips, naturally) meant to do them in warmup but forgot. Rested only breiely, felt very strong.

I went with decreased volume today, due to back tweak and my getup burnout phenomenon- I need to start separating getup days with a day of rest

Friday:
3x(1,2,3),1,2 pullups and pistols superset - Pistols near the end of their limits, pullups felt strong. I've been going quad dominant with my pistols recently, using my ankle mobility. My only problem is that my heel sometimes comes off the floor.

Did a bit of bike riding, enjoyed it, but I don't think it was an effective workout, it's too easy to coast down and up hills.

Saturday:
Getups: 5 minutes of continuous 50lbs getups (hopefully 5 reps per side): Got 5 reps in 4:45 minutes, shoulders pumped.
Swings: attempt at 100 35lbs 2H swings in 5 minutes: got 50 reps in 2.5 minutes, grip and lungs killed me (my two glaring weaknesses). Could have done more, but wasn't motivated.

I'm going to go back to 50lbs swings on Monday/Wednesday, going to get to 50 reps in 2.5 minutes hopefully.
Weighed in at 175.6 lbs this morning, only 0.6 pounds over. Should make weight easy.
I realize I missed Slow Twitch Grip training yesterday. I'll do it today and tomorrow.

ST: 5 sets:
35 lbs hang for 60 seconds. Not quite to failure- but a good sign imo.
50lbs hang to failure in 56 seconds
50lbs hang to failure in 46 seconds
50lbs hang in 42 seconds
Going to do the rest tomorrow. Hopefully splitting the hard days doesn't decrease the effectiveness of the plan.

Compare hang times now vs a few weeks ago- see attached image! I'm gonna have to start starting my sets with 70lbs.

Attachments

• image_2021-10-23_184559.png
    image_2021-10-23_184559.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sunday:
ST grip training:
70lbs hang to failure in 33 seconds.
50lbs hang for 23 seconds- fingers slipped off.
50lbs hang to failure in 34 seconds when fingers slipped off. I think the bar is too slippery, may move to a stickier bar.
50lbs hang to failure in 20/33 seconds. Fingers slipped off again, really getting annoyed.
50lbs hang to failure in 42 seconds on the plastic hanging bar outside

Monday:
1,1,2 pistols and pullups (easy), and 3x3 haloes.
5x5 swings with relatively short rest. I keep trying to come up onto my toes, quad-dominant squats have a cost.
Getups: 24, 32,32,32

Went light today, so I can go heavier on Wednesday.

Tuesday:
ST Grip training light day:
70lbs hang to failure in 46 seconds. Focused on gripping the back of the bar with my fingertips, with the base of my fingers higher on the bar (still without using my palms). Felt a lot better, no slipping. also going to grip the bar on a different spot each time, for less slip due to sweat.
70lbs hang to failure in 55 seconds. This is a great improvement.

1.75 mile ruck x 16 pounds in 30:40. Upper back got sore, glutes fatigued, feet fatigued. Lost my power towards the end, had to walk relaxed.

Wednesday:
5x10 50lbs 2H swings Grip smoking by the end. Aerobic system also challenged.
5x1 70lbs getups.
Decompressed on a bar- I've been twisting a little while hanging, and this time while hanging my vision went black and I felt like I was going to pass out, though thankfully I straightened out, stood up, and it passed after a few seconds- This freaked me the hell out. I'm certainly not doing any more twisting while hanging after this. I think I got that idea from the SF Resilient Video on YT... I probably twisted too hard, and I'm not chancing it again. I'm only going to do spinal rotation in a static stretch like a Bretzel.

Thursday:
(1,2,3)x4 pullups/pistol squats
A few somewhat heavy double kb presses and bench presses.

Gtg 2 sets of 10+10 35lbs snatches, gets the heart thumping.

I injured my calve today at jiu jitsu... lovely. No roadwork tomorrow (maybe some high rep KB Ballistics?). Stretching out my calve tonight. Going to implement the RICE method on my calve, not to the extent I probably should though (doing this more than an hour after the injury.

I am now realizing (and mostly experiencing) the need for more calve training.

Friday:
L-sit Raises: 5 sets of 3
ST Grip Training: 7 sets:
1. 70lbs hang to failure in 39 seconds.
2. 70lbs hang in 40 seconds.
3. 70lbs hang to failure in 34 seconds
4. 50lbs hang to failure in ~40 seconds
5. 50lbs hang to failure in 41 seconds
6. 50lbs hang to failure in 43 seconds
7. 50lbs hang to failure in 37 seconds

Saturday:
5 minutes of continuous 50lbs getups.
5 minute 35lbs swing test: 60-80 reps. Grip and lungs dying.

Another near faint while standing up out of the bathtub this morning. Currently looking up potential causes. I performed a Bretzel ~30 minutes before this happened. See Wednesday, exact same thing- except different circumstance:
Decompressed on a bar- I've been twisting a little while hanging, and this time while hanging my vision went black and I felt like I was going to pass out, though thankfully I straightened out, stood up, and it passed after a few seconds- This freaked me the hell out. I'm certainly not doing any more twisting while hanging after this. I think I got that idea from the SF Resilient Video on YT... I probably twisted too hard, and I'm not chancing it again. I'm only going to do spinal rotation in a static stretch like a Bretzel.
I think it might be some kind of seizure. I have no idea what the primary cause could be, if they are indeed seizures.

Monday:
5x2 pistols and pullups- working not to let my knee go forward during the concentric portion of the pistol.
5x5 50lbs KB Swings - technique getting more solid I think.
2x 70lbs getups, 2x 50lbs getups- the getups felt a little weak and shaky. Should have done 50lbs reps before 70lbs, but I didn't think of reducing weight until after.

Tuesday
*First day of Wrestling Practice*
38 second hang to failure x70lbs
50 lbs hang to failure in 37 seconds
50lbs hang to failure in 32 seconds I think my fast and loose drills were bad today, that's my problem

Wednesday:
*My hams and glutes are sore from wrestling practice*
6x1 pistols/pullups
Doing swings and getups another day, time constraints limited me today.

Thursday:
5x5 50lbs KB Swings
Getups: 24, 32, 24, 32, 24

My legs and glutes are super sore, an I'm getting a lot of cardio from sprints at wrestling, so I'm going to cut out all conditioning/endurance, and I'm reducing strength to two Swing/Getup workouts and two Pistol/Pullup workouts per week, bare minimum volume.

Friday: Workout at wrestling practice
4x4 split-squat jumps. (per side, so it's more like 4x8)

Superset:
4x10 split squats (Per side, making it a total 20 reps per side. 45 pounds for the first set, 95 pounds for the next 3. On the next three I did fives, I could not do tens, and I felt heavy fives were likely more productive anyways.)
4x10 dumbell rows (Not sure what the weight was, perhaps 20-25 pounds)
4x10 heel-elevated goblet squats (Same dumbell as rows
4x10 band pulldowns. (These were very easy)
2x15 second isometric pushes against the wall, 2x skull crushers.
Finisher- set of 10 rear delt raises, 10 external shoulder rotations, (both with plates), set of 10 "One and a quarter" bodyweight split squats, and ten and explosive split squat jumps.

I certainly felt the burn, especially in the quads. I had to do a "bleacher mile" a few minutes after, which is 4 laps around the track, going up and down the bleachers about 7 and 3 times each lap.

I strongly dislike this training. I have little remaining strength to train wrestling afterwards, and the high reps/low weights means I build little strength, only endurance, which would be better trained on the mats or the track. No real pressing or deadlifting was done, a huge hole in the program.
I was very sore by the end, especially in the legs.

Monday wrestling gym training (11/9/21)
4 sets of 10 again
135lbs RDL
65lbs incline bench
20lbs OA military press
hamstring curls

3x superset finisher:
10x pushups, 10x OA glute bridges, walking sideways. Pushups were at their limit.
5x pullups

Tuesday:
5x pullups
Pistols: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

Wednesday:
70lbs hang to failure in 27 seconds

Wrestling workout:
4x10 (I did 7's) of:
95lbs split squats per side
40lbs dumbell rows
25lbs goblet squats (heels elevated)
band pulldowns

Isometrics: 4x pushing against the wall on one leg
finisher: 3x10 of 1+1/4 goblet squats, external shoulder rotations, rear delts, and split-squat jumps.
Running: 4x400 Meter repeats with a few minutes rest between. Had to go at a jog to make it.
Hams very sore- hurt to stretch them in the evening.

Thursday 11/11/2021: 5x of the following ( around 5 minutes rest between supersets):
5x swings, 1x 50lbs getup, 2x pullup (not feeling ready for much more.)

I weighed myself after getting home... 175 pounds even (naked). This is after drinking water. Maybe all the high rep stuff helped, or some change in diet.

Professor Steve kicked my butt with a tough warmup and 2 hours of sparring.

Last edited:
Friday:
A long, plyometrics-conditioning workout at wrestling: 30 seconds on/30 seconds off of various plyometrics, doing ten different drills in a circuit with 2 minutes rest between circuits. Four circuits done, Quads dying, feet sore.

60 second hang nearly to failure with 50lbs
59 second hang to failure with 50lbs.

Sunday: Weighed in at 173.6!
I'm reading the Building the Gymnastic Body by Christopher Sommer, playing around with static holds.
Baselines:
L-sit: I am at an L-sit hold at parallel between two chairs, or at least very close.
Straddle L: Can do a straddle L one hand center on the floor for a few seconds, but I can feel that cramps are coming if I hold this for more than about 3 seconds.
Manna: I'm not even close to doing the bent middle split hold between two chairs (the first progression). I probably need parallel bars (and to lose weight)
Back lever: I can do the tucked back lever with the rounded back pretty easily, but after many video-ed attempts and a lot of headaches from tension, I managed to maybe get the flat tuck for a split second on my last attempt. I can see the value in this move.
Front lever: Can hold a front lever with hips higher than head, but I cant raise my knees from a dead hang and pull up into the tuck front lever. I certainly cannot do the flat tuck.
Planche: can do a basic frog stand, but fail miserably at the advanced frog stand.

Monday: Last home workout before competition this saturday
5x5 50lbs swings. Felt solid, especially after focusing on the two halves of the swing: Hinge and standing plank.
5x 50lbs getups: focused on good technique. Ended a little tired, but it was good overall.

Thursday: I've been about 174 pounds fasted, taking thursday and friday off wrestling. Not much else to tell.

Back
Top Bottom