all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Saturday: Weighed in at 174 LBS! (Juvenile divisions)
Results: 2nd out of 2 in NoGi 175lbs, 3rd out of 3 in NoGi Challenger 2 (up to 999lbs)-
Not surprising, I only trained 2 days per week or less and wasn't lifting super well up to this point. I mostly did Gi, and I didn't attempt any wrestling moves. Got tapped each time.

2nd out of 3 in Gi 175, and 1st out of 2 in Gi Challenger 2. -My two wins (by submission ) were against the same dude, who was tough but I beat him twice. He was unable to reverse me once I passed his guard, though he stood up from bottom guard several times (I need to work on putting more pressure in open guard.) First place went to Simeon, who beat me 3 times in NoGi. This time I actually did much better. I pulled guard, and he managed to pass my guard and mount me, but I managed to reverse and get to his closed guard. I believe I stood up out of his guard, and then he stood up after that. I managed to take him down with a throw though, and passed his guard and got knee on belly, but he was really good at preventing my mount. If I had got that mount I might have won, but I lost my points. Simeon was not in open class, he signed up for the adult challenger.

This wasn't super favorable circumstances for me, I would have liked to have trained 4-5 times per week, but I only got 1-3, usually 2 comp sessions. Next summer I'll be able to come more often, but I might be a baby blue belt by then, and won't due that well (and I'll do my best to take NoGi classes), but I won't have school or wrestling eating up my schedule.

My plan for the wrestling season is probably going to be high resistance strength training, letting my wrestling practice and workouts handle endurance and conditioning.

Sunday:

My plan: John Spezzano's plan based around the Delta 20 Principle.

https://www.strongfirst.com/get-stronger-with-one-kettlebell/
I'm going to use swings, pullups, pistols, and presses. I'll test rep-maxes throughout the week, and start next Monday. I'm gonna go relatively heavy, I'm young and I can take it, and the program is probably relatively easy, if it's starting from the minimum number of reps (ten) and increasing by the minimum amount (20%).
Die roll variability:
1: 1
2. 2
3. 3,4,3
4. 424
5. 5
6. 12321

1RM Pullups: 175lbs + 35lbs. It was an ugly rep, but it was from dead hang to neck-on-the-bar. Means I'm doing pullups with -7 to -17 pounds. I've found my blue resistance band is basically the weak end for 80% pullups, the low end is a bit stronger than 75%. I'll use the band if I have too, but I'll retest with chinups in a day or two and try to reach 2 reps x35lbs so I can use bodyweight chinups.

50lbs press: 5 right, 3 left. 1rm: 53lbs. Range: 40-42 pounds. I'll just tape two 3 pound dumbells to my 35.

175+35lbs pistol: 2L, 2R. 1rm: 217lbs. -12 to -1 (just gonna go bodyweight.)

Attachments

• image_2021-11-21_142333.png
    image_2021-11-21_142333.png
    50 KB · Views: 0
Monday:
Maxed at 7x70lbs dead swings: I think this is a poor way to set up kettlebell swings, so I'm just going to do a heavy-light-medium template based on timed workouts.

Template:
Roll a die for week's Swing workout lengths: 1=6min, 2,3=8min, 4-6=10min.
Reroll if you get the same length twice in a row. Use 50lbs for all swings.
Getups: Use a 70lbs and 50lbs bell, at least one set of each.
Monday-Heavy: As many sets as possible while keeping the talk-test Do 10 getups
Wed-Light:
50-60% of Monday's volume Do 6 getups
Fri-Medium:
70-80% of Monday's volume Do 8 getups

Did 35lbs weighted chinups for 3 reps! Now Chinups are squarely inside my resistance tolerance!

Last edited:
Saturday: Finally back from Thanksgiving Vacation!
Did absolutely no training since leaving wrestling practice on Tuesday and hitting the road. Just hung around, ate, and read Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (I highly recommend).

Gonna start training on Monday, hopefully this program isn't too much.

On a side note, my low back's giving me problems when I flex my lower back, probably from a lot of slouching in the car seat.

Sunday: Weighed 174.6 this afternoon after lunch

Going to resume ST Grip Training

ST Grip Training:
70lbs hang to failure in 39 seconds
70lbs hang to failure in 37 seconds
50lbs in 36 seconds
50lbs hang to failure in 32 seconds

Last edited:
Monday 11/29/2021
Chinup/Pistol superset: 10 singles. Pretty easy workout. Eliminating presses to focus on getups.

Tuesday:
Sets of 5 swings: 24, 32, 32, 32, 32
Getups: 24. 32, 32, 24, 32

Swings felt shaky, grip challenged (tried doing then with socks on hands, just didn't happen. Rough handle on 32 needs sanding.
Getups were shaky, but still strong, confident I'll get simple getups in a few months.

Tuesday:
Sets of 5 swings: 24, 32, 32, 32, 32
Getups: 24. 32, 32, 24, 32

Swings felt shaky, grip challenged (tried doing then with socks on hands, just didn't happen. Rough handle on 32 needs sanding.
Getups were shaky, but still strong, confident I'll get simple getups in a few months.
If you do a decent sanding once a month and use a bit of chalk you should be fine. I ordered hand protectors from Rogue and they work well. I have used the top 3-4 inches of dress socks on my hands during snatches and that worked well.

If you do a decent sanding once a month and use a bit of chalk you should be fine. I ordered hand protectors from Rogue and they work well. I have used the top 3-4 inches of dress socks on my hands during snatches and that worked well.
Thanks. I don't have chalk, though I should probably get some by now. I tried to use socks, but I literally couldn't swing it or else it would have flown across the room. I'll probably sand that handle down this evening, I put it off for a while as it didn't give my fingers problems up till now.

Thanks. I don't have chalk, though I should probably get some by now. I tried to use socks, but I literally couldn't swing it or else it would have flown across the room. I'll probably sand that handle down this evening, I put it off for a while as it didn't give my fingers problems up till now.
I had the same issue but sanding helped me a ton. The leather hand protector works well. Dicks sporting goods has them for around 12.00.

Wednesday: Lost my first wrestling match

Thursday:

Pistols and Pullups: 1,2,3,2,1,12

Did most of my sets at wrestling practice

Last edited:
Friday:
Pretty grueling muscular/cardiovascular endurance workout at wrestling practice.

70lbs fingertip hang to failure in just over 1 minute!
Getting a good, high grip with my fingers clamping the far side of the bar and grinding it out paid off, I'll have to start going heavier.
I'm pretty sure this is a record, my previous best with 70 pounds was 55 seconds.

Saturday:
4 sets of 3-4 70lbs KB Swings

I finally hit that bell with some sandpaper, I think it made a lot of positive difference. I got my technique to be much better than the last time.

I'm probably gonna do 2 days per week of both pistols and pullups, and two days per week of heavy swings and getups, and two days per week of ST Grip Training (My weakness), sticking to weeks 1-3 with lower volume. I'm not up for much more volume with wrestling training eating my time and energy.

Speaking of which, my impression of wrestling S&C at my school is that it goes whole hog on muscular endurance and aerobic conditioning, but has no serious strength or power element. They don't do any aerobic base building (Low intensity steady state training), though they do expect us to run at home. The coach's idea of strength is sets of 10+10 split squats.

Saturday:
4 sets of 3-4 70lbs KB Swings

I finally hit that bell with some sandpaper, I think it made a lot of positive difference. I got my technique to be much better than the last time.

I'm probably gonna do 2 days per week of both pistols and pullups, and two days per week of heavy swings and getups, and two days per week of ST Grip Training (My weakness), sticking to weeks 1-3 with lower volume. I'm not up for much more volume with wrestling training eating my time and energy.

Speaking of which, my impression of wrestling S&C at my school is that it goes whole hog on muscular endurance and aerobic conditioning, but has no serious strength or power element. They don't do any aerobic base building (Low intensity steady state training), though they do expect us to run at home. The coach's idea of strength is sets of 10+10 split squats.
That’s the same as when I wrestled in high school. Full bore with hundreds of push ups, sit ups and squats. Tons of burpees and 8 counts. Zero real strength work.

Tuesday:
5x5 70lbs swings: Felt a lot smoother than last time.
Getups: 24,32,24,32,24

Weighed 171.1 after practice today, shooting to compete at 170 tomorrow.

Wednesday 12/8/2021:
Got the cut to 170, helped alot by intense wrestling practice. Now I have to do it again tomorrow.

Thursday:
I won my first wrestling match!

On Wednesday last week I got pinned near the end of round 1, yesterday I got pinned in round two, and today I had two matches, where I lost by points after getting through all three rounds, and I finally won my fourth match by pinning my opponent.

The weight cut was easy today. I weighed 168.6 even after eating some cookie cake at Tech school, and drinking a little water.

I'm a little annoyed at my failure to learn names and faces. I know maybe a dozen names, mostly people I knew before and my main training partners. But everybody was saying "good job" when I didn't even know their names. And I congratulated a girl after I watched her win a tough match, and then I found out that I was actually talking to her sister. So I'm gonna try to learn as many names as I can.

Saturday:
ST Grip training:

Hang to failure with 85lbs in 65 seconds... Damnit. My grip is tougher than I thought. That was a really challenging hang, felt like I was only hanging on due to friction with the bar. Forearms feel toasted now.
Hang to failure with 85 lbs in 37 seconds. Used the same spot on the bar as last time.
70 lbs hang to failure in 26 seconds. (dangit)
I'm gonna stop there for today. I wanted 6 good sets, only ended up with one, but that will have to do. I will have to figure something out as far as ST Grip goes.

5x5 70lbs 2H swings. Technique is getting much better and stronger, I'm getting a feel for the tension at the top of the swing again.

Getups Kg: 32, 24, 32, 24, 32

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom