all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Thursday:
4,3,2x115lbs military press (tough. 0-1 rir)
5,3,2x25lbs rope chin. Also tough.
8,6,4x10lbs dips. 1-3rir.
8,6,4x115lbs bent over rows. Easy.
3x circuit:
8,6,4x25lbs DB zottman curls.
8,6,4x15lbs db side delt raises.
3x12 face pulls
4+4, 5+3, 8 pinch grip shrugs with 25lbs bumpers.

Friday:
No plyos. The mats aren’t good for them, need to do them elsewhere.
10 minutes of sweep single leg shot practice. Fairly light work.
10 minutes of half circle side shuffles (20es i think. These got me breathing hard)
10 minutes of fast feet and sprawls. 15 reps. (These also killed my lungs.)

Monday:
15 minutes of 4x70lbs 2H swings OTM. Stopped because I think my glutes were fatiguing- shifting onto toes, less good lockout. Also starting to hold breath at top.

10 minutes of sweep single leg practice- about 80 reps combined. Got tired. My knee pull side needs a lot of work.
4 minute tabata- alternating between fastfeet+sprawls and circling for speed. Got tired fast, breathing hard. Feet slowed down, as did my popping up from the sprawl, and my circling was tall and slow.

Tuesday:
4,3,2x115lbs military press, 25lbs rope chinup.
12 minutes of 4 reps OTM of 95lbs military press and 25lbs chinup, for 6x4 of each. Stopped as chinups got a little grindy.
8,6,4x135lbs bench press (easy ish), superset with 3x15 face pulls (some serious fatigue). Back to the most basic horizontal push, I think. It’s the simplest.
8,6,6 Zottman curls with 25lbs dbs.
8,6,6 side delt raises with 15lbs dbs.
4+4+2, 5+4+1, 5+5 pinch grip shrugs with 25lbs bumpers (probably misremembered the reps).

Wednesday:
15x1x185lbs power clean OTM. Strengthened my technique I think. Stopped when technique began to go downhill.
20x2x195lbs squats OTM- first 5 doubles were front squats, last 15 were back squats.
5x3 hanging leg raises OTM. Grindy last rep. Arms bending a bit.
Working on AXE style training now. Probably lower cost, higher strength stimulus, type training. Lots of volume is nice, but also conducive to heavy weight.

Thursday:
4,3,2x115lbs military press. Feeling more solid.
5,3,2x25lbs rope chins. Felt strong today.
Alternating between 6x4x95lbs military press and 6x4x25lbs chinup OTM for 12 minutes.
8,6,6x135lbs bench press, 3x15 face pulls
8,6,6 zottman curls with 25lbs dumbbells
8,6,6 side delt raises with 15lbs dumbbells

Friday:
4x70lbs 2H KB swings for 15 minutes.
I did a ton of stance in motion yesterday. Super sore legs/glutes.

Monday:
15x4 70lbs 2H kb swings OTM
Double leg practice. Trying a new penetration step, not hitting my knee.

Tuesday:
4,3,2x115lbs military press. Probably gonna do IC with this weight next week.
4,3,2x25lbs rope chins (not sure what I’ll do here)
6x4 25lbs chinups and 6x4 95lbs military presses alternating OTM for 12m.
8,6,6x135lbs bench press. Solid.
3x15 face pulls. Good.
8,8,6 side delt raises with 15lbs DBs
8,6,6 zottman curls with 25lbs DBs.

Solid 40 minute workout.

Wednesday:
1x185lbs power cleans OTM for 15m.
2x195lbs front squat OTM for 5m
2x195lbs back squat OTM for 15m
3x hanging leg raise OTM for 5m
Solid. Felt great.

Thursday:
I’m out of wrestling again because of warts. Got them frozen, but I’m not lifting for a bit because ones on the front of my finger.
Friday: just stance in motion, can’t practice until/unless derma says I’m not contagious.

Thursday:
Missed all my other workouts this week. Due to scheduling conflicts. Not happy about it, but I am deprioritizing some things to make more time for training.
This workout was a few days ago, so I’m probably misremembering some of it.

Superset 20x1 115lbs military press with 5x1x25lbs rope chins and 15x1x45lbs chinups.
20x1x185lbs power cleans (this was a grind, I should not have done upper body first. My grip felt it.)
5x1 front squat and 15x1 back squat at 205lbs.
8,8,6x135lbs bench press, superset with 3x15 face pulls.
10,8,6x25lbs zottman curls, 8,8,6x15lbs side delt raises.

It’s been over a week since my last log. I did get some work in this week, don’t remember specifically but I’m not gonna count on more than three workouts per week, since I’m so busy.

Messing around with friends today I hit 13 pullups, probably had 15 with ideal conditions.

Thursday: Fontbonne Intrasquad dual
1. Lost 1st match vs. Hassan: Lost by points, got blast doubled like four times. Stood up pretty well, shot a bunch of sweep singles that got stuffed because I struggled in the setups/handfighting. Ankle picks could have happened, but I don’t work on them enough.
2: Won second match Vs. Brayden: got taken down via low single early, stood up, then got a go behind off of his single and later off of my stuffed single-leg shot. We both got up. Last period I’m up, and Brayden jad gotten underhooks on me due to poor elbow position throughout the match. I got my own underhook, pummeled double unders, locked my hands high and threw him. Put legs in, almost tilted him but he sort of threatened the defensive pin so I wasn’t comfortable holding my grips, but I managed to get an opportunistic half-nelson and pin him. I’m happy with that.

Need to work on:
Shot defence
-stance (being in position to shoot opportunistically) and moving/being dynamic
-Single leg setups/entries
-handfighting

Monday: 20minute mini session.
5x5 50lbs kb presses es, superset with 5x5 70lbs KB oa rows. Kb presses were not super smooth and I changed my row technique a bit until settling on having knee+hand on a bench.

Wednesday:
Was going to do lower body, but I immediately realized I wasn’t going to be able to do 185 power cleans. Too fatigued.
So instead:
5x5x145lbs (0-1rir last set) bench press, superset with 5x5x35lbs chinups (0rir last set)

Thursday:
Grinded through a lower body practice. Was shaky and out of my groove, but I had to get something in.
5x2x185lbs power cleans OTM (kept pulling forward).
5x2x195lbs front squat OTM (back was giving issues, legs shaking. Not good, so I stopped).
Superset 6,4,4 hanging leg raises with 3x15 20lbs face pulls.

Down to about 167 this morning, Maryville Open on Saturday- start of my first college season.

Saturday: Maryville Open (165 Amateur division, 14 man bracket)
Weighed in at 164, was able to drink a fair annount leading up to weighins. Ate/drank moderately (2hr weighins). My division was all underclassmen- freshman and sophomores.

First match: Loss to a Quincy kid (D2)
He was a leftie, so I mirrored and took right-leg stance. Went collar tie, he got double unders. I looked at some trips/throws, didn’t get that close, then he made space and I got him with a head and arm throw. Got 7 points, but he got up because I didn’t go to side control like I should have. I pummeled an underhook, went knee pick but got thrown because I stayed on it too long rather than chaining. Got up, got front headlock key-lock ish thrown again and pinned.

Second match: Tech fall over Ozarks kid:
Went leftie. Don’t remember the details, but I got a stalemate off of iranian defence to a low single (went for the ankles and scrambled). Got an underhook snap to go behind, and an armdrag to the waist to snap. On top, I burned out my forearms getting wrists and trying to get halfs, but I got all of my back points from legriding- power half and seatbelt, a bit sloppy though. Had a hard time with leg-riding breakdowns, but he crumbled on bottom with traditional breakdowns. He was physically easy to overpower.

Third match: Loss to another Quincy kid. (Placed 8 out of 14)
This guy was kinda jacked. We mostly went from collar ties to over-under, basically even handfighting. He got a shot, and I pressured, but he ducked out and took me down with the rear body lock. I couldn’t stand up, got my face stuck on the mat and had to post out to not get broken down, preventing my standup and leaving me open to turns. He got a turn or two, including a bar I couldn’t defend, and pinned me.

Things to work on:
-Defending the bar
-Hitting my sweeps and other shots— never shot more than once or twice. Need more drilling.
-Working from over unders- specifically clearing the underhook while keeping my own, plus offense from there.
-Underhook and russian offence- more chaining with the underhooks, more leg attacks with the russian
-handfighting- navigating between shots, hooks, russians, drags, and snaps from the initial tie-up, and clearing collar ties to my offense.
-Standing up under pressure while staying sealed off.

I’m not disappointed, because I honestly was worried I’d do far worse, and I’ve come away with plenty of ways to improve dramatically.

Last edited:
Monday: Mini session
6x5x50lbs OA kb presses. Right arm is actually harder, maybe because I underhook so much with my left arm. Superset with 6x5x70lbs OA rows. Hand and knee on bench. Both tough.

Tuesday mini session:
6 sets of 2 185lbs power cleans OTM. Better than last week, still not up to my usual standards.
Super hard wrestling practice today.

Wednesday: OTM squats mini session
5x1x195lbs front squats OTM, immediately followed by 15x2x195lbs back squats, so 35 reps in 20 sets. I like this set/rep scheme. Got a serious quad burn in my last set, I’m sore in the quads the next day. Was breathing somewhat heavily, will add weight next week.

Thursday: Upper Body/abs : 3mini sessions together
5,3,4,4,4x155lbs bench press. 2nd set I hit the safeties on the way up, messed me up.
Superset 5,4,4,4,4x35lbs weighted pullups. A little loose when fully extended, I’ll be better next time.
Superset 4 exercises:
10,8,6x side delt raises with 2x15lbs dumbells (some shoulder discomfort. I’ve had bad shoulders lately. Will up reps a bit more and move up weight I think.)
6,5,4 strict curls with 2x30lbs dumbells (Felt good increasing weight, reps will increase soon enough)
3x15 face pulls with 20lbs blue band. (Losing mind-muscle connection, probably time to increase band size)
5,3,3 hanging leg raises (quads cramping. I want more reps here, probably need to do these every day.)

I decided to go from chins and zottman curls to pullups and strict curls. Just makes more sense. Gonna move up in weight in a lot of exercises soon, so I’m happy.

Last lift before heading out to Iowa tomorrow for the Luther Open, should be good.

Luther Open: 2 losses in freshman division
First match: got pinned by an independent athlete, maybe a redshirt somewhere. My stance was not right, so he was able to blast through me without much setup. From there he had a strong tightwaist, which he used pretty well to keep me down, even from the quadpod Im developing. He eventually got an armbar and he pinned me by running it aggressively.

Second match: Buena Vista D3 kid. Not that good or strong. My stance was good this time, and my goal was to go underhook, but I think he was cross posting to shut it down, so I shot my leftie high crotch. It was good timing, but I wasn’t fast enough or good enough at finishing, and I only got his ankle while he was practically on my back. Had to give up 2 to avoid danger points.
He was good on top, but he could only hold me down by putting legs in. So I hip-smashed, but I didn’t do a good job of staying tight and I got dragged backwards. I avoided back points there though, but eventually he got a bar to a cross wrist, and he got 8 points with it because I couldn’t clear it.
I’m pretty sure I got up after that or the round ended, and I was down around 10 points. I was also mad, because I think I should have been beating him. I get deep on an ankle pick, but I don’t work ankle picks enough so I don’t finish it. He shoots a low single and I sit on his head with a chest wrap. I should have pressured my knee into his back and looked to get it to the mat, but I was angry and desperate so I tried to chest-wrap throw him, which failed miserably and I just pulled him on top of me. I think I gave near fall points in that scramble, and when he got 3 it was a tech.

Things to work on:
-Stance
-head blocks
-clearing armbars/cross wrists
-leg ride defense
-standups/quadpods, knee slides, ect.
-Shot defense
-high crotch finishing

I’m gonna focus on the shot defense and bottom escapes most. My defense needs to improve.

Monday:
I ate binge ate garbage Saturday, Sunday, and this morning, so I weigh 173 despite having a bad cold.

Power cleans: 10x1x185lbs OTM. Doubles are too hard for now. Singles are good practice.
Bench press: 5x5x155lbs. Felt kinda easy.
Pullups: 5,4,4,2,2x35lbs. Hard. 0rir last three sets, which was a mistake as my left elbow started to ache.
3x3 Hanging leg raises, 3x10 side delt raises.

This session was both good and awful. HLRs and Pullups suffered, probably because of my inability to control my eating on the weekend.

Tuesday:
5x1x195lbs front squats OTM, then 15x2x195lbs back squats.

Decided to repeat last weeks workout given my soreness then and my sickness now.

Back
Top Bottom