all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Monday:
I missed a whole week of lifting because I was sick. Got back into it today. I’ve been eating more than intended, was up to 174 or so on Friday, and I got fat over Superbowl weekend. Eating light today.

3x5 2 Leg hops. Felt good. Superset with 3x6 ball slams. Gonna do landmine rotations and single leg hops on Wednesday.
10x1x185lbs power cleans. Wasn’t ready for 195 today.
Went to 5x5x145lbs bench press (will squat, military press and pullups on Wednesday),
Superset with 5,5,4,4,3 ish bent over rows with 145. 45’ torso angle.
6,6,5 curls with 30lbs dumbells.
3x10 side delt raises. Gonna do triceps and back on Wednesday.

Wednesday:
Yesterday I got notified that I can go 165 for Conference because one of our upperclassmen can’t make it. Weighed 172 this morning, should get down there no problem. This is probably the best opportunity for me to put on a performance this year, so I’m excited.

3x5 single leg hops, superset with 3x5 25lbs landmine rotations
10x1x205lbs front squats OTM (solid)
Pullups: 8,7,6,5,4
50lbs OA kettlebell press: 8,7, 6,6/4 (left arm was done after 4),4
Superset: 4,3,3 sloppy HLRs, 3x15 30lbs band face pulls, 15,12,10 45lbs standing french press

SLIAC Conference champions:
Had a six person bracket. I lost my first and last matches pretty badly. My handfighting was pretty good, though I still had problems clearing russians and finishing arm drags. I didn’t get pinned, but I didn’t stand up with as much urgency as I should have. Didn’t bounce up after mat returns.

The biggest thing was my head position and shot defense were bad, and I didn’t pull the trigger, which is why I lost my second match. There were situations where I got taken down by bad shots or trips, or where I didn’t pull the trigger when the shot was there. My head position and vision were a big problem- I wasn’t looking at my opponents legs, but at their head/shoulders, so I couldn’t see the opportunities. I would have won my second match if not for these things. All my opponents were more experienced in college and in general, but I know I can beat these people, and I need to if I want to achieve my goals, so it was disappointing.
Monday:
4x5 2L hops, superset with 4x6 ball slams
10x1x185lbs power cleans
5x6x145lbs bench press (focusing on chest and overall tension. Felt great. 0 rir on last set.)
6,6,6,5,4 135lbs rows. More bent over than usual. 0rir last sets.
12,15,15 chest flies with 15lbs. Didn’t feel right, wasn’t hard at all.
12,10,10 x15lbs side delts. 0rir.
7,5,4 curls with 30lbs dumbells. 0rir.

Last edited:
Monday:
Should have done this last week, but it’s not a big deal as I’m leaving for regionals on Wednesday. I’m more concerned with losing the habit of training than the benefits of it until the season ends. My weight is up to 180, but I’m gonna start cutting as soon as regionals is over. I don’t like how I feel this heavy, and I want to be able to do a clean bulk.

5x 8 skips,
5x4 pinch headlock dummy throws
8,7,6,6,5 50lbs military presses. Not too hard.
10x1x205lbs front squats: comfortable, but noticeably heavy.
3x3 rope chinups, squeezing the rope hard. This cooked my grip, so I stopped there. I don’t need to get too fatigued right now.

Thursday: DIII regionals: 184lbs.
Focused a lot on shooting every 10 seconds and getting up in 10 seconds in my mental preparation. I weighed about 178, had been feeling sluggish for a couple weeks.
My first match was against a very good wrestler. I shot my high crotch a lot, got my hand on his leg twice, but I didn’t really drive through enough to lock my hands. I did club-high crotch, but once he got wise to it he started catching/snapping my hand. Tactically, i should have faked high and shot, and chained to a short drag, single leg, or front headlock. He ended up taking me down with a single leg, didn’t switch to defense mode very well to defend it. I got up fast/got cut twice, third time or so he was able to slow me down with a leftie ankle ride and got a 3/4 nelson to pin me after trying some cradles on the other side. I overreacted in leaning away from that side, giving him the 3/4 on the other side, should have focusing on posturing/pressuring back.
Second match was against someone who barely competed this year, but he came out super aggressively with handfighting, which got me off my game, so I was doing stupid things with my hands and didn’t really look for shots. He took me down and turned and pinned me with a bar arm/chicken wing. He was very strong and good at capturing wrists and turning them into bars. It was a double bar at one point but I got the bottom arm free, defended by posting on his far hip but didn’t move/follow to stop him from teeing off from me.

Friday: start of the offseason:
I’m gonna focus on base cardio for a month or two while I get my weight down, then I’m going to start a clean bulk. I’m still working out my exact schedule, but I wanted to get a head start on next week:

1xpvc pipe walk forward and backward (This was actually painful for the bottom of my feet. Need to do this more.)
3x heel walks, 3x5 double leg hops, 3x4 single-leg- snatch- hip-lock type things that garage strength uses for reflexive strength with 25lbs.
2.1 mile easy run in 31 minutes.

Monday:
5x5 double leg hops
Tried to do some landmine rotations, but the setup was letting the bar come loose. Will try to fix next week.
(1,2)x3, 1x4 185lbs power cleans. Bar was way more slippery and stiff than at fontbonne, made it much harder. Wanted to alternate singles/doubles but the fourth double didn’t happen.
6,5,4,4,4x155lbs bench press (felt strong)
5x6reps with 135lbs bent over rows.
20,17,15 side delt raises with 10lbs plates.
7,5,4x 65lbs BB curls. This and the side delts cooked my forearms.

Tuesday:
3x pvc pipe roller, forward only
3x10 skips, 3x4 reflexive drill, where I hop sideways, land on one leg, then hiplock like friday.
2.28 mile run in 31 minutes.

Down to about 175lbs. BJJ is going well, I’m training in the mornings while on spring break. Focusing on mount/side control escapes, right into my single x and half guard attacks.

Wednesday:
5x5 double leg bounds, 5x6 judo throw drills with bands
5x(1,2)x205lbs front squats
7,5,5,4,3x105lbs BB Military press
8,7,6,4, 4 body weight pullups.
3x10 face pulls
15,12,10 45lbs BB overhead triceps extensions

Thursday:
Woke up with a bad stomachache, but after an hour or two I felt good. It was weird, probably something to do with what I’m eating at hone (I’m on spring break). I definitely overate yesterday night before bed; probably need to cut out cereal.

30 minute airdyne bike: 50rpms for 30m, 7.3 miles. Pace was slightly harder than comfortable. Not breathing hard, but quads had a mild burn at times.

Friday:
A+A jump split squats from newsletter:
3 reps every 30 seconds for 30 minutes. Pretty easy on legs/lungs.

Had a really good stretch after, haven’t stretched much but want to get more consistent at it.

Saturday:
20,15,10,10,10 face pulls with 40lbs black band.
20,17,15,15,12 side delt raises with 10lbs plates.
7,6,5,4,3 65lbs barbell curls
15,10,7 45lbs overhead triceps. (Did a lot of pushups at practice today)

Trying to workout while listening to comedy was a bad idea lol, started laughing in the middle of a set. My quads/glutes are sore from yesterday, which makes me think it’s a good practice.

Last edited:
Monday:
Got Geoff Nuepert’s The Giant program. I’m excited to try out the programming style in a few weeks. Probably Won’t run as is, but I’ll apply the methodology to a handful of exercises.

4x5 double leg hops, 4x6 ball slams
5x(1,2)x185lbs power cleans. Solid.
6,6,6,4,4x155lbs bench press. 3rd/5th sets were 0rir. Had some left shoulder discomfort on a couple sets. Honestly didn’t feel good, but grinded a lot of reps, against better judgement.
5x6x135lbs bent rows. Much stricter today, felt great.
12,10,8 15lbs side delt raises. Real Hard.
7,7,6 zottman curls. Probably overcounted a little.

Tuesday:
30 minute zone 2 bike (Rogue Echo bike at fontbonne) : 8.67 miles, 121watts and 46rpms average. Hovered from 45-48rpms, and started around 125BPM and rose to 140bpm heart rate by the end. Quads had a light to moderate burn throughout.

Stretched after.

Wednesday:
5x10 skips
5x3 dummy throws each side
7,7,6,6,5 (forgot the exact reps) 50lbs Kb press
10x2x205lbs front squats OtM
7,7,5,3,3 pullups (pushed too hard on some sets, not sure if I remember right)
20,15,15 ish 30lbs green face pulls
16,14,12 45lbs overhead triceps

Thursday:
Super sore in the quads. Ran an unknown number of miles in 30 minutes, HR between 140 and 155 bpm.

Friday:
30 minutes of four jump lunges on the 30s. Got fatigued over time, but never breathed hard.

Saturday:
I’ve been doing a 2 hour open mat at a friend’s gym before 2 hour wrestling and nogi at my home gym. Had a great session, moves are coming really clean and naturally.

20,20,15,15,12 40lbs band face pulls (pumped, probably incomplete rom)
20,20,20,15,12 side delts with 10lbs plates.
Hanging leg raises (not 100% strict): 5,4,3,3,3
45lbs overhead extensions: 17,15,15,13,11
65lbs Bb curls: 8,7,6,5,5

Got really pumped. Thinking about running The Giant in a few weeks.

Monday: Workout with the wrestling team
Warmup:
3x6 single leg RDL on a 3” plate, into a step-up from the stretched position of the rdl. Cooked my glutes and foot stabilizers.
3x6 hip airplanes: start at the bottom of a single leg RDL (hand assist) and raise your back leg like a kick. Rotate/stretch your raises leg internally and externally for reps. Cooked/stretched my glutes.

Workout:
4x5 box squats with 225lbs. Super easy, I exploded out of the hole for these.
3x Superset 25lbs bulgarian split squat for 8/8 with 10/10 OL calve raise on thick plate with 6x 95lbs rdls. Didn’t push hard here.
Then, 15,10,10 reverse crunches: 25lbs in hands, 10lbs on shins, extend into hollow position for reps from deadbug position. Cooked my abs.
Tuesday: 30 minute Z2 bike
Started at 150rpms, after 10 mins had to go down to 147-148rpms.
144bpm average, 157max. Avg 48rpms. 140watts average. 9 miles.

Tested max military press:
70lbs got halfway up. Didn’t try my weak side.
50lbs+35lbs double KB press for 9 reps.

I’m cutting my current programming short because I’m eager to switch to Giant-esque programming. Will run the giant 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, starting with the 50lbs OA press and maybe going to the double press, depending on what seems right. That 70lbs press is in my near future. Will probably work a combination of Carmen Bott’s Phase 1 aerobic intervals and kettlebell ballistics, and some easy strength and power work and p3 movements.

Last edited:
Wednesday: training with wrestling team again:
3x circuit:
8x banded overhead Y’s and underhead A’s
8x prone presses (holding a face pull while probe and then extending overhead with a light weight)
6x handcuffs: prone, bring hands from overhead to behind back for reps.

4x5x145lbs bench press, fairly easy and exploding up.
4x10 tricep kickbacks (lots of cramping, not a lot of fatigue). These were a strange combination for the bench press.

4x6x135lbs bent rows (really hard because of the curls, basically failed a lot of reps)
4x10 curls (started at 25lbs, went down to 15 by the last set. Still a lot of pump)
3x10 band tricep pushdowns (easy)
3x10 hollow rocks
3x10 supine windshield wipers

Took a complete rest day Thursday, and my shoulders hurt a bit. I started P3 on Monday and Tuesday, I like it. Deadbugs are hard but the other power exercises are easy, but the breathing/neck control drills feel good.

Just been going through the basic level 1 sequence, 30 breaths/nods/rotations, and all 20 egg rolls/half rolls. All this is not too hard. But deadbugs with my pelvis raised off the ground kills me, been doing 3x10. Also, side lying neck nods are not comfortable. It just doesn’t seem right the way I’m positioned to nod my head. Needs more work clearly.

I’ve been using more neck muscle than I should in prone nods, forgot that this is not supposed to be a conscious effort.

Last edited:
Monday:
P3: 30 reps for all breathing/neck work. Did level 2 supine, level 1 side lying (felt much better, will progress tomorrow) and level 2 prone. 15,10,8,7 deadbugs. Lifting the tailbone off the ground makes these really hard. Gonna progress slowly to 100 reps. Egg rolls/half rolls for an easy 20/20.
Giant: 14x5=70 reps each side in 30 mins. Focused on high tension techniques- pressuring core/glutes/quads, squeezing grip, and powering the bell up, and pulling it down hard. Was a lot of work, gonna take my lifts real easy tomorrow.
Plan 025: 30x5 50lbs 2H swings OTM: breathed hard early because I was exploding too much. Then reminded myself to relax a bit. A bit of low back discomfort, probably not enough tension, and a lot of chafing thighs because of my stance being narrow ish.Got better with reps. Focusing a lot on hip hinge here.

Back
Top Bottom