all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Wednesday:
4x5x50lbs Kb press, 4x5x70lbs KB row.
Short on time for this workout, but it’s okay, still got good work in and I’ll be ready to up the volume soon.

Thursday:
Definitely feeling better now. Weight also good. This should’ve have been done yesterday, but I was short on time.
3x10 face pulls with 30lbs green band. Much more tension, felt goos, but not too hard.
3x5 strict curls with 30lbs dumbells. Pause at bottom. Solid tension, liked it. My elbows have been getting beat up recently, both by pullups and by getting popped in practice. I think the curls help.

Saturday: Lindenwood open:
First match: loss by pin.

I was good at leading with my left hand, but I still wasn’t too dextrous/strong with it. My right hand came up at the same time a lot. I rose to match his level, as he was high. Should have shot.
Had some good hand-fight positions, but I didn’t capitalize on those positions. Had an underhook, but didn’t really attack with it. Got angles that exposed shots, didn’t shoot. One time we had locked fingers on my left, he had my right wrist. I looked at left side drag, but I basically fed him my arm for his drag. He swung around for the single, I could have stopped him but I didn’t really react. I didn’t whizzer at all with my leg in the air. At the end of the match he locked double unders around my traps, and I just overhooked and kept my hips back thinking he can’t do anything, but he did a corkscrew throw by hooking his left leg around my left leg, and threw me to my back for the pin.
On bottom, he kept decent pressure and kept looking for the crossface to the far side cradle. I should have done a big chest, peeled the hand, and used it to stand up. Instead I tried to dig with my elbow like with 2-on-1 defense, and nearly got pinned with the cradle twice.
I looked inside leg standup, but I was stepping so that he could jump cradle on me. Same with quad pop. Double knee slide to recover base worked well. Had a hard time breaking rear body lock grips. Took 3+seconds to break, by that time they went lift return or back trip. Other times he stayed on top by going single leg off my standup, and I should have killed his single, but I just fought hands and forgot to whizzer. I did escape once or twice though.

Second match: Loss by pin:
This one was against a D2 UCM guy. He immediately went underhook, and I was too slow to catch his elbow and get head position to work overhooks. My left leg was in front on underhook side, and he foot swept that leg. He got a leg in, and at that point the match was over, as his leg ride pressure was excellent and my defense was poor. I tried to leg slip by dipping my shoulder and shucking him off, but I did it poorly and gave him a power half. He pinned me eventually.

Thursday: Thanksgiving:
I’ve been too busy to train up till now. Working on that leg ride and single leg defense monday/tuesday.

1,3x3 x115lbs military press. Solid.
1,3,2,1,1x45lbs military pullup. My home pullup bar is way slipperier than at Fontbonne. Plus, I’m up to 175lbs again. It’s so hard to eat well at my house, junk food is everywhere.

Some bird dogs, and a run through of the free sample of Neupert’s P3 program. I might get it, I have a bit of lower-left back pain and a bit of shoulder trouble.

15 tempo intervals. About 70-75rpms work interval, 40-45rpms rest, 10-60 work rest, about 130-150bpm. Felt nice and easy.

Monday:
10x1x185lbs power cleans OTM (not snappy, but not hard)
10x1x205lbs squats OTM (groove not solid. First 5 sets front, second 5 back squats)
I’m at 172 right now. Better than I feared. Conditioning was really bad though.

Tuesday:
Hurt my shoulder at practice. Iced it. Hurts to use, not terrible.
Wednesday:
Went to see the trainer, probably sprained my AC joint and something else, basically just need to manage pain until I recover.
Did 3x5 50lbs presses and 70lbs rows on my right side.
30 minute run.

Friday:
Still out of practice, but shoulder seems a bit better.
3x5 70lbs rows and 50lbs pressed, right side only.
A bunch of 5-10 second maximal bike sprints with rests in between.
A few founds of stance shuffling and wall sits. Legs/glutes fried.
About 168lbs.
Saturday:
5 minute easy bike, 15x5second sprint OTM. HR geneally between 130 and 170, getting up to 105rpms on home bike.

Tuesday: December 19, 2023
I’ve been recovering from thag shoulder injury, and I also got wisdom teeth removed. Also on winter break from college practices.

My gums and my shoulder are getting better day by day. Definitely not 100%, but I’m easing back into lifting and cardio, and soon wrestling/BJJ. In the mean time, i’m studying up with my instructionals.

Yesterday I did a lot of shoulder pump work, with hangs and band facepulls/pullaparts and snatch presses, and 20 mins easy bike.

Today I did 6 power clean singles with 175lbs at my house. Not ideal conditions, very out of training.
1,3x175lbs front squats. Stopped after 1 set, too much jaw tension for my gums right now even with easyish loads.
More hangs, as pullups and HLRs still set off my shoulders for sets >1 rep.
Armbars with a 25lbs plate (KBs are annoyingly at College right now).

Wednesday:
Upper back is sore now.
14 minutes of running tempo intervals, 10s on at 70% effort and 50s recovery easy jog.
2 mins recovery pace, then same routine on the bike for another 14 minutes, up to 75rpms for work and 45rpms at rest.
HR generally ranged from 135-160bpm.
Solid 30 minute easy cardio.

Thursday:
10x175x1 power cleans OTM for 10 mins
10x175x1 front squats OTM for ten mins
3x5x95lbs overhead press. 3x5x135lbs bent over row.
3x30s active hangs and 25lbs armbars.
10,8,6x55lbs curls and 20,20,15 face pulls.

Now officially back to bjj training.
Friday:
30 minute Z2 run. Not too slow, not my best either.

Saturday:
3x5 , 3x10 pushups.
A week or so ago, I couldn’t do many of these without shoulder irritation.

Last bjj practice until 1/2 was today’s nogi class. Slowly getting back into things. Knee cuts are coming back, implementing some new details. Also trying out kimura dives, but haven’t been able to control them very well yet, just starting scrambles.

I need a firmer focus for my bjj/wrestling training. I have so many different things to work on that I am progressing super slowly.

While I’m wrestling single legs, especially high level finishes, needs to be my focus. Worked on a high level finish where I grab the knee and pressure down and backwards to sit them down, tripping as an option, similar to running the pipe. Got a good understanding of it, ready to put it to use.

Monday 1/1:
Happy New Year!
Today after practice:
10x1x175lbs power cleans OTM (very good)
10x1x185lbs front squats OTM (tough)
5,5,4,4,3x145lbs bench press
5x5x135lbs bent over rows (45’ torso angle)

Single legs are going good. My hand-fighting is improving a lot, and I’m working on getting my finishes good. Got multiple good entries on Connor, our 175.

Tuesday: Conditioning corcuit at wrestling.
A long circuit of conditioning drills like medball slams, pullups, slit squat jumps, ab rollouts, banded squat jumps, box jumps, banded snapdowns, jump rope, etc. Exhausting. Finished with sprints and partner carry relay races.

Today is my first nogi class since Christmas. Coach Nick is getting promoted on Saturday, which is awesome.

Wednesday:
Was super sore in legs, glutes, and back from yesterday. Got beat up at practice.

At Bjj, I got beat up by Alex. I was going outside passing, but it might not be for me. De la reva passing probably makes more sense. We cooled down with a wall handstand competition, and I won, but not before my arms shook for minutes, my shoulders burned, and my hands and arms got tingly from maybe a pinched nerve. The only thing I might have trained today was overhead press, and this does it. Hopefully don’t get more doms.

Saturday 01/13/2024: MoBap Open
These were all D3 and NAIA teams, so easier matches than usual, but there wasn’t a freshman/sophmore division so it was still tough. First match was a Williams baptist guy, he had a gorilla grip, and he basically immediately cleared my collar ties to russian ties every time I hit my collar tie. Need to get to my offence sooner and not hand there. His russian was hard to clear, makes me want to get better at both attacking and defending them. He kept pushing me to the edge and making me circle in, going inside tie collar snap when I put my hips back. I wasn’t really able to change plans. He kept reaching all the way across for cross wrists and eventually got a 2 with it, because I wasn’t used to clearing such strong grips. But I was good about not getting turned and working to my quad pod, but I was giving up cradles by hanging out with my posture down instead of standing up and out or knee sliding. Eventually he just teched me by doing high Cs or singles, forget what exactly he did. Head hands defence needs to be better, in addition to my late stage defence. Same with stance and handfighting.

Second match was a not so tough guy from Mobap. More of a kid. He liked hanging in 50/50 collar tie and fended off all my shots by framing with his collar and over tie. He took me down, same story as before with the shots on my right leg, and he tried to leg ride me but I sat and slide down and out, immediately reattacked and snatched a leftie single, got it shelved easily, but couldn’t finish with knee down and knee pull because my knee pull was bad, so abd that I think I fell over into crackdown, and had to slide down and double leg finish from crackdown. That was my only non-escape points before getting teched.

Need to work on head hands defence, late stage shot defence, beating the frames with my entries, grtting angles and movement for shots, and moving faster on bottom (I hung out and stalled a fair bit when down or in quad pod)
Wednesday 01/17/24:
3x5 vertical jumps (slow), 3x6 medball slams (strong) alternating OTM
10x1x185lbs power cleans OTM (Okay)
3x3 rope chinups and 8,7,5 pullups OT2M (focused on gripping hard on the rope, 1rir on the pullups. Forgot my weight rope, but it’s okay, my shoulders have been iffy lately and need some higher rep work.)
5,5,5,4,4x145lbs bench press OT2M. Pretty good.
3x15 face pulls with 30lbs green band. Good reps.

Getting back into lifting. That Mobap open match made me remember the importance of strength, and I knew I had no more excuses not to be lifting. Getting in a weeks work in today and tomorrow. Rope chins are going to be a staple from now on, I’ve met too many wrestlers with absolute gorilla grips not to develop my own grip strength.

Sunday 01/21/2024 dual vs Eureka:
I weighed in at 163 but wrestled 184lbs. The match went okay, but should have gone better. He was a bit taller than me and very stocky, but not that strong. We got into 50/50 collar ties a lot, but when I cleared his tie he cleared mine simultaneously. I tied up again and he slid me by, twice in the match, though I got away the first time. He got me with a low single, but I gave up the takedown a little early, I could have scored or scrambled if I knew my low single defence better. I got turned a couple times, once with a tightwaist (only got 1 swipe), and the cradle off my quad pod, which got two swipes.
I based up and went tripod pretty quickly, but he cradled me because I waited just a bit too long there, then I worked back up to me standup and cut away pretty easily from there.
I got slid by for the second time and went down, though I might have been able to get away. This time I went granby a couple times, looked at a peterson bit didn’t go for it, and wrestled into a High C, got to standing and ran the pipe, and went crackdown, though maybe I could have immediately climbed the body for the 3 points. From crackdown I was about to score but he got an underhook and turned me for four, nearly pinning me, but when I got out and finished the reversal I was already teched.

I should have been more active on bottom. I did better than usual but still not good enough. Probably could have chained moves like quad pod and granby better. Shouldn’t have gotten turned in that crackdown, and I definitely should have taken shots from the feet. I played too hesitantly in the collar tie, waiting for perfect position before attacking, when the shots were probably there.

Monday 01/22/2024:
3x5 tuck jumps OT2M with 3x6 ball slams.
10x1x185lbs power cleans OTM. Good.
10x1x185lbs front squats OTM. Easy.
5x5x145lbs bench press OT2M. Strong.
5x6x135lbs bent over rows. Not great, left shoulder is still iffy and I had to cheat many reps.
10,8,8 side delt raises with 15lbs dumbells
5,4,4 curls with 30lbs dumbells. Hard, particularly on the left side.

Wednesday:
8,7,6,5,4 pullups Ot2M
8,7,6,5,4 50lbs KB military presses OT2M
3x15 face pulls with 30lbs green band.

Short workout, but effective I think.

Monday:
3x5 2Leg hops, superset with 3x6 ball slams.
7x1x185lbs power cleans OTM, 3x195lbs power cleans OTM. Working in a new weight. Was tough, but manageable.
10x1x195lbs front squats OTM. Could have gone up, but decided not too as I already upped the cleans, and was starting to feel it.
5x5x145lbs bench press. Was tough, but I also had a bad setup or two costing energy.
3x5x135lbs rows. Went with by torso around 45’ above parallel to ground. Felt great.
3x10 side delt raises with 15lbs dumbells
6,6,5 curls with 30lbs dumbells
3x3 hanging leg raises.
Solid under 60 minute session. I was about 174lbs because of how much I ate over the weekend, should come off soon though. Last few tournaments are coming up, and I’m most likely going up in weight soon.

Missouri Valley Open report:
I had a bad cold the past few days, but as I was getting better I decided to compete anyways.
I felt pretty good on tournament day, but my conditioning and technique weren’t on point.
I’ve also been putting a lot more focus on mindset the last week or so, hoping for some improvement.
Match one: This kid was okay on the feet, but a hammer on top. I had an angle with my left hand collar tie in the first few seconds, but didn’t use it. After that we got to double right side collar ties, and he got a loose ankle pick, I turned away and he finished the single leg on his feet. He was a hammer on top, pinned me with a half. I didn’t do enough to seal off when I based up, so he ended up rolling me through with a half for back points. He also got a banana split on me when I hip smashed when he was cross body, which I wasn’t familiar with.
Match 2: vs NAIA wrestler:
One of my two goals for this tournament was to shoot first, and I did that this match. I immediately ran the angle on my left hand collar tie and shot a high crotch, but I got caught in over/unders because I tried to elbow flare when he didn’t overtie. Because my trail leg was coming up, he immediately got the single and took me down. He was also tough on top. He kept getting crosswrists and it was hard to break them, partly because I forgot to extend my elbow. Eventually he pinned me, forgot how.

I wanted to get off bottom within 10 seconds, obviously didn’t happen, but I did handfight much better and attacked first in my second match. These guys were both good on top, and I wasn’t on my game. Need a lot more work.

I’ve been going back to the high crotch as my main attack. I was avoiding it because it sucks for bjj, but I have to accept that wrestling and bjj are different sports. Same with gi vs nogi.

Thursday:
Not logging any lifting because I have been taking a week off to fully recover from my cold. Still practicing though.
I’ve started tracking protein and calories again, getting about 170 grams of protein per day and eating a bit more than maintenance using myfitness pal. I feel good, but eating this much protein is a lot of work. Also started taking creatine.
My weight is about 171ish, going to compete at conference at 174 next weekend because every team can send two wrestlers.

I’ve been going back to the high crotch as my main attack. I was avoiding it because it sucks for bjj, but I have to accept that wrestling and bjj are different sports. Same with gi vs nogi.
Nice work! It's always good to be in the fight! My coach always had a lot of success with the low single for BJJ. He would keep faking it until you lift up your leg and as soon as you set it back down he would shoot and have it. I always knew it was coming but he would still always get it.

Nice work! It's always good to be in the fight! My coach always had a lot of success with the low single for BJJ. He would keep faking it until you lift up your leg and as soon as you set it back down he would shoot and have it. I always knew it was coming but he would still always get it.
Thanks! I’ll give it a try sometime!

Back
Top Bottom