all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Welcome aboard, SCQ!! You have certainly made a wise choice, as evidenced by your results. I'll leave the technical details to "G3" or some other expert. G3 being "Garage Gorilla Grahill." Seriously, I think @John Grahill 's mother's maiden name is Neupert, as John has been mining @Geoff Neupert 's programs for absolutely incredible results for a long time!!
I dunno... I'll have to check Ancestry.com or something since both our families are from New Jersey... ?

Going into week 4 of 1.0 (deload) with a pair of 20s. Plan to run 1.1 next with the same load. I didn't test my RM before I began the program but knew that 20s were likely in range of my 10RM. Put up ~ 230 total reps in week 3. My press feels strong, and there is a noticable increase in the size of my shoulders and upper back. I've never done this much volume on a program, but my body feels fine and I'm getting a nice payoff. Can't ask for more.

Question: I'd like to eventually run through some version of Big with a pair of 24s; how will I know when I'm ready? Should I run all the way through 1.2 with the 20s first? Should I run 3.0 as a primer?
Nice work!

@BrianCF is spot on here. Make the 20s feel like toys.

Love the flexibility of the Giant.

I tested my C+P a month ago and got 3 reps with 2x20K. That was after completing 1.1 with 2x16K. 1.1 was already too taxing after I started ramping up my weekly running mileage, so 1.2 was not an option.

Instead, I started a 3.0 cycle with a push-press as a last rep in every set... including push-press singles on Day 3 of each week. I also stopped chasing the clock so my session volume was in the 20-40 range. Moreover I slightly stretched my Giant weeks to 8-days to accommodate my runs.

Still... I tested my C+P this morning, at the end of Week 3, and got a solid 5RM!!!

I'll still finish Week 4, before I restart 3.0 with strict C+P. I'm still hopeful to reach my end of year goal of pressing a pair of 24s, while still on track with my running goals.

Got through the heavy day of Giant 3 using a 12RM.

Really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be after doing Giant 1, 1.1, 1.2.

Hello all! I realize this isn’t strictly The Giant related but I really like this thread.....I’m finishing up a cycle of dry fighting with a 16/24 combo. I’m considering going back to giant 3.0 because I want to eventually run the 1 series with double 24s. But, I also want to work on my legs more too. So , repeat DFW or the wolf, or other suggestions?

hello. just finished 1 month of the giant today. I feel stronger. I feel like each week feels easier than the week before, even if I do the same amount of reps.
I don't see any problems with this program, just I think it's probably too minimalist for my level (1 year of kettlebelling this august)
I like the programming of the sets but I feel like I need to practice other moves also, like squats and pull ups or inverted rows
I know it's a tough one to answer but I'd like to read some opinions.
so options:
a.- complete the giant to 1.2 with this pair of 16kg bells. add, as Geoff suggests in the giant, some 3x3 like practice low weight or body weight squats, inverted rows, maybe light 360s. nothing crazy
b.- just go to another program. I like, for ex., Total Body Blast, burn extreme reloaded or the new ABC program from the SF app
catch: I have bad migraines, some weeks I feel good/great, some weeks I feel terrible because of the sudden pain that might last for 2-3 days sometimes and the days after because of the meds I have to take. So some weeks I'm out or partially out. I feel like being able to work out is a privilege and I want to fully take advantage of the days I can work out

Tested my
hello. just finished 1 month of the giant today. I feel stronger. I feel like each week feels easier than the week before, even if I do the same amount of reps.
I don't see any problems with this program, just I think it's probably too minimalist for my level (1 year of kettlebelling this august)
I like the programming of the sets but I feel like I need to practice other moves also, like squats and pull ups or inverted rows
so options:
a.- complete the giant to 1.2 with this pair of 16kg bells. add, as Geoff suggests in the giant, some 3x3 like practice low weight or body weight squats, inverted rows, maybe light 360s. nothing crazy
b.- just go to another program. I like, for ex., Total Body Blast, burn extreme reloaded or the new ABC program from the SF app
catch: I have bad migraines, some weeks I feel good/great, some weeks I feel terrible because of the sudden pain that might last for 2-3 days sometimes and the days after because of the meds I have to take. So some weeks I'm out or partially out. I feel like being able to work out is a privilege and I want to fully take advantage of the days I can work out
It’s enough to gain lots of strength if you follow the program. Your legs will be worked, glutes and quads will be on fire. If you do the program correctly you’ll need rest on off days. I was skeptical but decided to just commit, and trust me as well as many others here…it works. I’m not
Saying so this program forever, eventually I’ll squat again but give it a shot.

so options:
And I too suffer migraines, the auras, nausea, the blurred vision, dizziness, the post drone tiredness and hunger…they suck people don’t understand a migraine isn’t normally just a one day thing it’s a 2-3 day event. I know one thing Excedrine Migraine is a life saver for me. Also google yoga poses for migraine relief it helps me a ton!

More progress! I was very surprised today, I’m currently on my rest/fun training week of the Giant. I was running it with 24s (Giant 1.0, 1.1). I planned to move up to 28s and thought I’d have to run 3.0. But I decided to test my Rep max with the 28s. Now, 4 months ago I could do maybe 2 CP with 28s and they were sketchy. Having only worked with 24s I was surprised how light they 28s felt. I banged out 10 no problem! Stoked! I’ll be running 1.0 with them next week. And I smell some double 32s in my future.

I have proof lol

One side note, after taking these rest days serious I felt so damn powerful today! I love how this program works you hard but also makes you feel strong!

More progress! I was very surprised today, I’m currently on my rest/fun training week of the Giant. I was running it with 24s (Giant 1.0, 1.1). I planned to move up to 28s and thought I’d have to run 3.0. But I decided to test my Rep max with the 28s. Now, 4 months ago I could do maybe 2 CP with 28s and they were sketchy. Having only worked with 24s I was surprised how light they 28s felt. I banged out 10 no problem! Stoked! I’ll be running 1.0 with them next week. And I smell some double 32s in my future.

I have proof lol

One side note, after taking these rest days serious I felt so damn powerful today! I love how this program works you hard but also makes you feel strong!
Awesome.

Did you actually do 1.2 it only 1, 1.2 like it says?

I have proof lol

That's an awesome effort!! Is it the programming? Or is it "More than my Hometown" on the radio!

Great clean and press effort and great song!

I have proof lol

That is incredible progress! I'm hoping to follow your footsteps when I finish 1 series with the 24s.

I honestly was a skeptic when I bought the program. I didn’t think only doing cleans and presses could do what I needed. But I even tested my my squat capacity it’s week and I haven’t lost a step.
It truly is amazing!

Do you mind if I ask how many reps you could get with the 24s when you started? And how many can you get now?

I've gone from 1 rep to 10 reps with the 24s in 14 weeks. Hoping to buy some 28s for the coming months to run 3.0.

Back
Top Bottom