all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Are most of you using your final week as a de-loading week? I just finished week 3 of 1.1 and I pushed hard every day this week. Ended up doing 102 Monday 104 wed and 112 Friday. This was the highest volume week I’ve had in either version of the Giant. I’m thinking next week my body will force me to deload. I honestly couldn’t believe how good my sets of 7 felt today compared to sets of 6 from 1.0. It was only few months ago lol.
I did on 1.2. I dropped from 30 down to 20 minutes. Great work on the century club. I think that there is diminishing returns once you get in the 112+ range. I was worried about overuse.

I did on 1.2. I dropped from 30 down to 20 minutes. Great work on the century club. I think that there is diminishing returns once you get in the 112+ range. I was worried about overuse.

Do you think that could have lead to your shoulder problem?

Im always drawn to giant as its so simple, i know how long its going to take and i can really give it some or take it easy depending how i feel but i do think about the amount of pressing involved and worry about shoulder injurys down the rd.

My numbers are no where near yours tho, giant 1.0 i get around 35-45 reps.

And I was coming from shoulder impigments and tears!!

I believe that the autoregulation part in this program is the key to success, understanding it is a process of learning but at the end its worth it.
@Eyetic, IIRC you once posted that you don't count sets on the Giant, which strikes me as a very liberating approach and very much in the spirit of autoregulation. Do you still use this approach and, if so, can you comment any further on the experience of doing it this way?

@Eyetic, IIRC you once posted that you don't count sets on the Giant, which strikes me as a very liberating approach and very much in the spirit of autoregulation. Do you still use this approach and, if so, can you comment any further on the experience of doing it this way?
This is how ive figured i prefer to do it, otherwise i chase numbers to beat previous sets and reps, ends up tiring me out.
Definitely the way forward for me.

Im always drawn to giant as its so simple, i know how long its going to take and i can really give it some or take it easy depending how i feel but i do think about the amount of pressing involved and worry about shoulder injurys down the rd.

I throw in TRX cable rows & "tug of war" band rows/"archer rows" which help my kneck & back.

Hangs from a pull up bar help to

No, it didn't lead to the shoulder problem. Press doesn't bother it. If it did, I would have stopped.

Pullups, band pull-aparts and swinging the golf club did it. Lateral sideways movement. I'll stick to the golf and shelve the others. Do rows instead.

No, it didn't lead to the shoulder problem. Press doesn't bother it. If it did, I would have stopped.

Pullups, band pull-aparts and swinging the golf club did it. Lateral sideways movement. I'll stick to the golf and shelve the others. Do rows instead.
You saying that, i remember my bro split days and side lateral raises gave me greif, stopped doing them pretty quickly.

Im lucky that Pullups dont bother me at all and are my favourite excersise, if i do giant i only do 20min and do easy strength style Pullups after

I agree, felt yesterday like I could have gotten one more set but also at what risk? Possibly blowing a gasket? Lol. I was pretty sore last night, I ended up doing a ice bath this morning.

I did it that way for like 4 months...after this post went viral I ended counting!! (d*#mn you all!!) And I stopped enjoying it and started compiting against myself and the numbers in the forum..the old incautious crossfitter in me came back...

After the holidays I went back to my previous approach and now I will not count any more!!!!

I did it that way for like 4 months...after this post went viral I ended counting!! (d*#mn you all!!) And I stopped enjoying it and started compiting against myself and the numbers in the forum..the old incautious crossfitter in me came back...

After the holidays I went back to my previous approach and now I will not count any more!!!!
Ya know what, I think I started this thread way back when and truth be told I see some astronomical numbers posted per workout by some of you guys and I can tell you I've come nowhere nearly as high!

Switched from 20+24kg bells to the double 24kg about halfway through the giant 3.

Tested my RM today & got 5 reps.

I will run the giant 3 again & see what my results are.
Test day after 2nd run through of giant 3.0 with 24 + 24kg KB.

Got 6 reps which is 1 rep increase or 20%.

Tested 20+20kg KB afterwards & got 12 reps .

Going to move onto giant 2.0 now with the 20+20kg bells as I don't want to move past the point of being able to run the giant series with double 20kg bells & I'm feeling a little worn down by giant 3 compared to the previous programmes in the series.

Going into week 4 of 1.0 (deload) with a pair of 20s. Plan to run 1.1 next with the same load. I didn't test my RM before I began the program but knew that 20s were likely in range of my 10RM. Put up ~ 230 total reps in week 3. My press feels strong, and there is a noticable increase in the size of my shoulders and upper back. I've never done this much volume on a program, but my body feels fine and I'm getting a nice payoff. Can't ask for more.

Question: I'd like to eventually run through some version of Big with a pair of 24s; how will I know when I'm ready? Should I run all the way through 1.2 with the 20s first? Should I run 3.0 as a primer?

Welcome aboard, SCQ!! You have certainly made a wise choice, as evidenced by your results. I'll leave the technical details to "G3" or some other expert. G3 being "Garage Gorilla Grahill." Seriously, I think @John Grahill 's mother's maiden name is Neupert, as John has been mining @Geoff Neupert 's programs for absolutely incredible results for a long time!!

Single Coil: Strat or Tele ? ? ? ?

I think you're right about G3; those double 36s are no joke.

Long-time strat player but made a quarantine purchase of a G&L tele-style guitar (the ASAT). It's my first t-style guitar, and I love it. The bridge pickup is mean. I once heard someone say that a strat is like the girl next door, and a tele is her trashy sister. Tough to tame but a lot of fun. Ha!

Going into week 4 of 1.0 (deload) with a pair of 20s. Plan to run 1.1 next with the same load. I didn't test my RM before I began the program but knew that 20s were likely in range of my 10RM. Put up ~ 230 total reps in week 3. My press feels strong, and there is a noticable increase in the size of my shoulders and upper back. I've never done this much volume on a program, but my body feels fine and I'm getting a nice payoff. Can't ask for more.

Question: I'd like to eventually run through some version of Big with a pair of 24s; how will I know when I'm ready? Should I run all the way through 1.2 with the 20s first? Should I run 3.0 as a primer?
Run through 1.2 and DOMINATE those 20's. Then do 3.0 Welcome to the best fitness forum around.

Welcome aboard, SCQ!! You have certainly made a wise choice, as evidenced by your results. I'll leave the technical details to "G3" or some other expert. G3 being "Garage Gorilla Grahill." Seriously, I think @John Grahill 's mother's maiden name is Neupert, as John has been mining @Geoff Neupert 's programs for absolutely incredible results for a
@WxHerk you are something else!!

@BrianCF is spot on....wear those 20s out then reevaluate!

Back
Top Bottom