all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Has anyone had just as much success using only 20min sessions?
Thinking of doing a 4 week run of 1.0 with double 16kgs, 20min

I done 1.0 sets of 5s this morning for 20 mins just as a random workout
I am going to do 20 minute sessions for week 4 of my 1.0 as a deloading week. I am hoping that’s enough…

I am in the 3.0 now doing 30 minute sessions but at this point my plan once I start the 1 series again is to try Geoff's suggestion of week 1 20 minutes, week 2 25 minutes, week 3 30 minutes and week 4 25 minutes. Thinking either peaking in week three like I had been doing or peaking I week 4.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has done strictly 20 minutes sessions and their results.
My plan for whichever giant version I pick next after 1.0 is the same… I like the variability in the times that you have setup staggering it like this.

You certainly may be able to do that but what I have noticed is that despite the fact that last October my 32s were the same rep max that my 36s were at the end of January progression with the 36s was nowhere near what is was with 32s. The first really eye-opening jump in weight for most of us was from 24s to 32s!

Having said all that, give it a shot!
Yeah that's what got me thinking. I have I was going to order 32s and 40s, to build by competition kettlebell set in 8kg increments. But the 40s have been out of stock for a while, so I opted to order 20s, 28s, and 32s instead. I think 4kg jumps will allow more versatility in my training. For example, I was going to attempt The Wolf while waiting, but 16s are extremely light and 24s are pretty damn heavy for the complex. I'm not sure that I'll be able to complete day 3's complex without setting the bells down. I think 20s would've been perfect. I have a hard style 32. I was trying out RoP with it , and was able to get 3x[1,2,3] with it. So I may continue with that until my doubles arrive.

Has anyone had just as much success using only 20min sessions?
Thinking of doing a 4 week run of 1.0 with double 16kgs, 20min

I done 1.0 sets of 5s this morning for 20 mins just as a random workout
Hey Gary, been meaning to reply.

I've been doing (quasi) Giant 1.0 20 minute sessions for a few weeks now. And it seems perfectly adequate for my GPP purposes. I have seen organic improvement in rep count week over week (I'm not actively focusing on increasing reps at all) and my current weights are feeling pretty light of late.

My jam is MTB and running (trail - yay - and road - oh, ok). I do enjoy strength training but, for me, it's really just a means to those ends and GPP. I ran through 1.0 (LCCJ) a couple times a few months ago, and loved the program and the results (both within the program and on on the trail). But, the big days left me a little too smoked to get after it on the trails as hard and for as long as I'd like to. Once the weather gets lousy again I'll probably get after Giant as written.

Now that I'm thinking and writing about it I think I'm gonna start another thread re Quasi-Giant GPP...

Yeah that's what got me thinking. I have I was going to order 32s and 40s, to build by competition kettlebell set in 8kg increments. But the 40s have been out of stock for a while, so I opted to order 20s, 28s, and 32s instead. I think 4kg jumps will allow more versatility in my training. For example, I was going to attempt The Wolf while waiting, but 16s are extremely light and 24s are pretty damn heavy for the complex. I'm not sure that I'll be able to complete day 3's complex without setting the bells down. I think 20s would've been perfect. I have a hard style 32. I was trying out RoP with it , and was able to get 3x[1,2,3] with it. So I may continue with that until my doubles arrive.
Remember that you can use uneven weights and switch each set.

I'm taking a month off from doing the Giant. Want to give my shoulders a break from all the pressing and want to do some running. For the next month, I'm going to just do bodyweight training and running/sprinting.
Today was pullups, pushups, hindu squats, ab roller band pull-aparts and a 30 minute treadmill run.

I'll still be throwing around my opinions and self proclaimed "expertise" in the thread.

I did that with the 24 and the 16 (before I got my second 24) with good success (at least for me). I'd love to build up where I can do the same with 32+24, but haven't been able stay consistent recently, but hopefully that's all done for now.
Although I didn’t run The Giant with the 16+24, I also used my 16+24 for a bit before double 24s. Mine was a 5RM so I just did lots of sets of 3, 2, 1 throughout the day as I don’t have a set block of time to train in.

Think I will do the same with 24+32 too when the time comes. Jumping straight into 2x32 means cleaning up an extra 16kg compared to 2x24 (64kg vs 48kg).

Although I didn’t run The Giant with the 16+24, I also used my 16+24 for a bit before double 24s. Mine was a 5RM so I just did lots of sets of 3, 2, 1 throughout the day as I don’t have a set block of time to train in.

Think I will do the same with 24+32 too when the time comes. Jumping straight into 2x32 means cleaning up an extra 16kg compared to 2x24 (64kg vs 48kg).
And I'm gonna mix a 28 in there to make the transition even easier ROFL

Back
Top Bottom