all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

3minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- low press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 8 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest, 5 repeats.

Pulled the isometric ab work as it seemed to be increasing a tendency to cramp on itself in day to day challenge rather than brace the core. Finishing with 2 sets of conventional crunch loaded with 30lb sandbag.

3 minutes band resisted jog in place
- DL
- Crossover Low to High Pull
- Quad Extension
- High to Low Push
- Hammer curl

All holds done 8 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest for 5 repeats.

Loaded Crunches 2x AMRAP

Henceforth, routine breakdown will look like:
- Day 1 Iso
- HIIT
- sandbag compound lifts
- Day 2 Iso
-HIIT

Second week:
-Day 2 Iso
- HIIT
- sandbag compound lifts
- Day 1 Iso
- HIIT

Every week both Iso routines but staggered so the same one isn't always following the sandbag work.

Sandbag compounds will be about 25 minutes of mostly grind lifting with some ballistic shouldering - non specific stuff.

Last edited:
Midweek "easy" sandbag circuit...

Warmup, remove clothes dryer from basement, put in new one (remove basement door, railing etc. Retrieve dryer from back of minivan)

- 5x circular cleans
- 5x getups
Repeat other side for 3 intervals, 70lb bag

- 5x power clean, pivot to catch on shoulder 105lb bag
- 5x prone getups 70 lb bag
Repeat both sides for 2 intervals

Looking forward to seeing how my knees feel from the getups.

Last edited:
Midweek "easy" sandbag circuit...

Warmup, remove clothes dryer from basement, put in new one (remove basement door, railing etc. Retreive dryer from back of minivan)

- 5x circular cleans
- 5x getups
Repeat other side for 3 intervals, 70lb bag

- 5x power clean, pivot to catch on shoulder 105lb bag
- 5x prone getups 70 lb bag
Repeat both sides for 2 intervals

Looking forward to seeing how my knees feel from the getups.
Are these specially made sandbags or did you just make your own?

ROFL I can see myself doing a similar warmup
I felt great even after having to pull it up the basement stairs twice (how else to find out you need to take the door off?), but the getups, both prone and supine did NOT feel good on my left shoulder and left knee torn meniscus. In fact after about 4 months of Isometrics only, the entire session felt "off" as though the basic concept was somehow unnecessary or unhelpful. In my head "all of this is submaximal either in terms of MVC or in terms of contraction speed", like asking a dedicated A&A SFer to attend a Crossfit session. Have to keep in my head that this is more about proprioception and a little conditioning, not building basic characteristics.

I still intend to keep some sandbag but will use a complex of:
- power clean to
- Zercher hold, pause, heft to shoulder, back to Zercher to
- Eccentric Good Morning to
- ATG squat, up, down to
- Good Morning, drop the bag

This will avoid the roll to shoulder and roll across or pivot on the knee.

I felt great even after having to pull it up the basement stairs twice (how else to find out you need to take the door off?), but the getups, both prone and supine did NOT feel good on my left shoulder and left knee torn meniscus. In fact after about 4 months of Isometrics only, the entire session felt "off" as though the basic concept was somehow unnecessary or unhelpful. In my head "all of this is submaximal either in terms of MVC or in terms of contraction speed", like asking a dedicated A&A SFer to attend a Crossfit session. Have to keep in my head that this is more about proprioception and a little conditioning, not building basic characteristics.

I still intend to keep some sandbag but will use a complex of:
- power clean to
- Zercher hold, pause, heft to shoulder, back to Zercher to
- Eccentric Good Morning to
- ATG squat, up, down to
- Good Morning, drop the bag

This will avoid the roll to shoulder and roll across or pivot on the knee.
Damn! Injuries suck.. I haven't been doing getups for quite awhile now, when I do they don't feel very good, other than using them in a loaded yoga type format.

I like the sandbag complex, hits some key areas pretty well.

It struck me as I was reading your sandbag complex, Navy Seal burpees do similar for me sans the Zercher hold. I do a good morning type move to start and touch toes, then drop to full squat, then jump feet back, finish pushups and jump feet forward (this really loosened up my lower/mid back). From frog position I do a power jump and add a pullup at the end of each one.
They're great for proprioception, squat/lower-mid back mobility, anterior strength, leg strength and many other things. Doing them on the 30 second mark helps keep HR from going red. I had rubber legs yesterday after doing 44 burpees as described and finishing with a 5k row.

Damn! Injuries suck.. I haven't been doing getups for quite awhile now, when I do they don't feel very good, other than using them in a loaded yoga type format.

I like the sandbag complex, hits some key areas pretty well.

It struck me as I was reading your sandbag complex, Navy Seal burpees do similar for me sans the Zercher hold. I do a good morning type move to start and touch toes, then drop to full squat, then jump feet back, finish pushups and jump feet forward (this really loosened up my lower/mid back). From frog position I do a power jump and add a pullup at the end of each one.
They're great for proprioception, squat/lower-mid back mobility, anterior strength, leg strength and many other things. Doing them on the 30 second mark helps keep HR from going red. I had rubber legs yesterday after doing 44 burpees as described and finishing with a 5k row.
I'll have to look into those burpees.

I used to absolutely love both of those getup variants, and might again if I maybe slow down and really dial in keeping tension in the shoulder socket and hips. Its the having pressure on the joints as they are squeezed into a mat etc across an arc that really seems to cause issues. But...while I had some alarming nerve pain in my shoulder yesterday, at this point in my day I feel great, and a little jacked sensation I never get anymore from doing Iso. The only one that's for sure out are the rotational cleans for aggravating my golfer's elbow. I don't think that's ever going to heal up 100%. The Getups, maybe.

The real good outcome was how strong I felt moving the dryer, picked it up entirely a few times and carried it bodily. The washer is sure to go soon, that puppy is going to be a whole other level of tough.

The real good outcome was how strong I felt moving the dryer, picked it up entirely a few times and carried it bodily. The washer is sure to go soon, that puppy is going to be a whole other level of tough.
Get some help on it, I ripped my shoulder loading a side-by-side fridge into my truck solo.. had it going but it back slid and I had to catch it. Not worth the risk anymore.

Get some help on it, I ripped my shoulder loading a side-by-side fridge into my truck solo.. had it going but it back slid and I had to catch it. Not worth the risk anymore.
...the voice of reason. I'll probably gut it and put the pump and drive motor out separately - that's what I did at the last house had real high basement ceiling = a loong narrow flight to get appliances in and out.

...the voice of reason. I'll probably gut it and put the pump and drive motor out separately - that's what I did at the last house had real high basement ceiling = a loong narrow flight to get appliances in and out.
Sounds like a good idea, I'm not known as the DFYU guy for nuthin haha.. no matter how careful we are, things tend to go sideways at some point.

3minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OHP
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 8 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest, 5 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Really focusing on a full relax with the pulse reps, makes a "huge" difference.

Back
Top Bottom