all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

@LarryB

Dillion Thomas -

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieve it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Moved grip work to my HIIT days.

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Round back atlas w/sandbags:
3 minutes jumprope warmup.
- 2sets/5reps 105lb
- 2sets/5reps 135lb
- 2sets/5reps 155lb
- 2sets/2reps 175lb

Zero lower back twinge. There is def a skill component to this that cannot be learned without doing, even after studying YT form tips. Before delving in I would not have believed I could round back sandbag or atlas ball my bodyweight, now I'm positive its just a matter of time - and that, no great span.

I think it's a pulsing effect after HR climbs skyward and is constantly playing catch up?
I think a big part of it is related to reducing rest periods. There used to be a defined work:rest peak:valley that shrunk when the rest periods decreased by 5 seconds.

Initially the average went up, but mostly because the working HR increased. Now that is trending down but rest period HR is staying about the same, the two are getting closer, which I believe to be something you want to see with this- the HR elevated per a max effort (90% max) but sustained over a longer period than would normally be possible due to the use of intervals.

Initially the average went up, but mostly because the working HR increased. Now that is trending down but rest period HR is staying about the same, the two are getting closer, which I believe to be something you want to see with this- the HR elevated per a max effort (90% max) but sustained over a longer period than would normally be possible due to the use of intervals.
Yes, reminds me of VWC but in a smaller time dose.. which is better IMHO, VWC really stresses CNS if you do it too often. The dose you're using looks just about right to me, everyone can benefit from some of that type work I believe.

Yes, reminds me of VWC but in a smaller time dose.. which is better IMHO, VWC really stresses CNS if you do it too often. The dose you're using looks just about right to me, everyone can benefit from some of that type work I believe.
I'm almost ready to drop down to a 1:1, 20 seconds each but drop to 12 intervals from current 15.

Right now everything is clicking without feeling forced or accumulated fatigue. I need to get out and do some LISS jogging to see what the carryover from hiit is doing.

I'm almost ready to drop down to a 1:1, 20 seconds each but drop to 12 intervals from current 15.

Right now everything is clicking without feeling forced or accumulated fatigue. I need to get out and do some LISS jogging to see what the carryover from hiit is doing.
I'm interested in the carryover aspect too, jumping rope is jumps, running is jumps.. should be something good coming from it. Running slow is key I think, faster invites more problems and isn't as good for recovery in my experience.

I'm interested in the carryover aspect too, jumping rope is jumps, running is jumps.. should be something good coming from it. Running slow is key I think, faster invites more problems and isn't as good for recovery in my experience.

I can jump rope quick, doesn't feel good for me to run hardly at all except on grass, at ANY speed. Kids are starting up track and field next week, maybe they let me tag along a few times while they get back into it.

I can jump rope quick, doesn't feel good for me to run hardly at all except on grass, at ANY speed. Kids are starting up track and field next week, maybe they let me tag along a few times while they get back into it.
Yes, it took me a looong time to settle into running where I could go for an hour straight, my calfs rebelled fiercely. It's been around 3 1/2 years and I'm just starting to enjoy a method that really clicks with me. I'm leaning more toward the 'pose' method and landing center foot, a few months ago the pup and I worked up to 150 miles and I was feeling it in heels a bit. Now that I've changed my running style it seems to have settled down and we can go 130 mi a month without issue.
A good way to go is interval running, that's what I did on grass for months. It sucks breaking into running when you haven't run for decades, I was 59 and hadn't run regularly for 30+ yrs.

Be careful, the kids will run you into the ground haha.

Doing my DL with double overhand grip, close together, feet not quite Sumo width - felt great.

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Back
Top Bottom