all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Yesterday:
Jumprope HIIT, 20 sec on, 25 off, 15 intervals.

Iso grip work

HIIT has been quite challenging the last two sessions, maybe an effect of introducing a sandbag day.

Today:
3 minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OH press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 10seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Pretty steady and comparable to what my hr would be, unsure of your pace though. Nice testament to HIIT.
Pace was a positively glacial 13 minute mile. I could have gone a little faster but not passing the talk test. Wind wise I could have kept going no problem, but honestly I'd hoped for better. Realistically pretty good for my 3rd run in 12 years or so, the duck boots were a bad idea.

Pace was a positively glacial 13 minute mile. I could have gone a little faster but not passing the talk test. Wind wise I could have kept going no problem, but honestly I'd hoped for better. Realistically pretty good for my 3rd run in 12 years or so, the duck boots were a bad idea.
13 min mile is quick for not running in 12 yrs, I had to keep the pace slower to keep calf issues from appearing.. it was a good one for sure, something to build on.

Agreed, @Bret S. i can go faster for sure, but that has been my pace as of late. My goal is not to “run” per se at that pace, but to “glide”.

Agreed, @Bret S. i can go faster for sure, but that has been my pace as of late. My goal is not to “run” per se at that pace, but to “glide”.
Yes! Run with a smile (Niko Niko).. I like it, running at a slower pace using the 'pose' method and driving knees forward has made a difference, HR stays fairly steady even when going up and down hills. Around here there are few flat run places, except at the beach of course.... I really miss beach running.

13 min mile is quick for not running in 12 yrs, I had to keep the pace slower to keep calf issues from appearing.. it was a good one for sure, something to build on.
Yeah, overall I have to look at this as a win. Torn meniscus didn't hurt, tendonitis, heel spurs. At the least I intend to do this enough that my boy is wrung out for track and field. He hasn't run in a few either, Sept he had to drop cross country due to pain in growth plates in his heels- seems to have resolved.

Carryover from the HIIT was evident, but not as much as I'd hoped. First 5 minutes I was thinking this was going to be a real rough 30 minutes, and then it was like a switch- HR settled out, talk test without sucking air. Nothing is quite like running.

Fact!

Nothing fully prepares you for it, run makes run.... no way to effectively mimic it that I know of. In my 20's I could run easily, even at 240+ lbs. Restarting at 58 was a big time wake up call.
Yep, I used to smoke close to a pack a day, work 12 hours and easily run 3-5 miles without a second thought. But back then I was running 4 or 5 times a week.

I recently read a quote from a professional coach "you don't run to be in shape, you need to be in shape to run". Not sure I agree with that, but I can see where defending that POV wouldn't be very difficult.

Yep, I used to smoke close to a pack a day, work 12 hours and easily run 3-5 miles without a second thought. But back then I was running 4 or 5 times a week.

I recently read a quote from a professional coach "you don't run to be in shape, you need to be in shape to run". Not sure I agree with that, but I can see where defending that POV wouldn't be very difficult.
This is a quote of something I read recently.. it's what I have/am experiencing:

"Rant: Running is tricky because there are central (heart and so on) and peripheral adaptations (bone, tendon, ligaments, muscles). Some of these adaptations take weeks whereas others take more than six months (essentially connective tissue). Most inexperienced runners f*** this up and end up injuring themselves- usually being connective tissue and its slow adaptation speed the culprit.
Avoid Too much too soonitis. How do you know this? As explained before: recovery dictates training load. Unless you are very experienced and seeking a specific training stimulus You should finish all your LED sessions feeling you could do it all over again. And the next day you should feel ready to do it again too."
You are doing well checking with us. Think of your running as developing a natural pattern you lost. A way back to a healthier better you. As such, frame the horizon in decades.

I believe this idea of “needing to be in shape to run” is usually targeted at overweight/unhealthy people who will certainly pound out an injury. The idea is that they need to get their bodies functioning enough to handle the impact, and or lose some weight before. This is usually a lot of step ups and downs, standing up from seated position etc. I could be wrong about what he was saying there though.

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Very good, nothing is as satisfying as movement over ground on foot.. it took me a long time to really appreciate it.
I used to just pass over it, did a lot of running in the middle of the night when doing shift work. It was like running in a dream - I used to scan the trails side to side so I could stay in track using peripheral night vision, the dog could stay on the trail just fine. Was a lot younger and lighter. Even at similar BF% that extra weight is apparent.

Am very confident if torn meniscus and heel spurs stabilize I'll be able to run 4-5k a bunch of times per week no problem. Like @LarryB, I'd like to get my resting HR down a bit from current high 60s/ low 70s.

Back
Top Bottom