all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

I'm def gonna keep tabs and really hoping my knees and feet cooperate so I can gauge some carryover to slow pace running.

But yeah, important to keep forefront that HIIT is aerobic conditioning. Too much muscular involvement and it becomes something else entirely, and that something (generally) takes more out of the tank than it puts back. Also increases the risk of injury from high volume in fatigued state. Regular HIIT sucks pretty hard but its so brief, is over before you realize how tough it is.
When the HIIT jumprope was novel would you get calf/foot DOMS? Perhaps i was jumping i to it too fast, but when i tried it out my calves and feet felt sore the next day.

I'm def gonna keep tabs and really hoping my knees and feet cooperate so I can gauge some carryover to slow pace running.

But yeah, important to keep forefront that HIIT is aerobic conditioning. Too much muscular involvement and it becomes something else entirely, and that something (generally) takes more out of the tank than it puts back. Also increases the risk of injury from high volume in fatigued state. Regular HIIT sucks pretty hard but its so brief, is over before you realize how tough it is.
Slow running is one of the best things I do, if given a choice of either/or between that and weight training I usually opt for the run.. that is a fairly new development.. oh, and I rarely miss Buteyko breathing. I've learned how important those two things are in the grand scheme. I'm headed in the direction of a more minimal weight training approach, recoveries have been lagging so an adjustment has to be made. I think it's a temporary thing but.. you never know.

Slow running is one of the best things I do, if given a choice of either/or between that and weight training I usually opt for the run.. that is a fairly new development.. oh, and I rarely miss Buteyko breathing. I've learned how important those two things are in the grand scheme. I'm headed in the direction of a more minimal weight training approach, recoveries have been lagging so an adjustment has to be made. I think it's a temporary thing but.. you never know.
I keep telling myself I'm going to start swapping out the isometrics but I might never go back...

When the HIIT jumprope was novel would you get calf/foot DOMS? Perhaps i was jumping i to it too fast, but when i tried it out my calves and feet felt sore the next day.
No, not really. I have to be careful not to aggravate my heel spurs, but feet feel fine. Is very normal to have sore calves, jump rope is great for developing calf strength.

A big part of my jump rope approach is to use a fatigue mat or thick rug under a piece of plywood, lets me jump rope in bare feet or socks and my feet take zero beating. Even with running shoes, jumping on pavement is hard on my feet.

No, not really. I have to be careful not to aggravate my heel spurs, but feet feel fine. Is very normal to have sore calves, jump rope is great for developing calf strength.

A big part of my jump rope approach is to use a fatigue mat or thick rug under a piece of plywood, lets me jump rope in bare feet or socks and my feet take zero beating. Even with running shoes, jumping on pavement is hard on my feet.
Ok, makes sense. I was barefoot on a basketball/gym floor.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start swapping out the isometrics but I might never go back...
I'm curious how the DL iso work affects snatch power, good DL people have some heavy snatching power. My low back hates DL, too many years hard labor, maybe the ISO DL would work for me..?.. Gonna give it a shot some time, when I get training more together, these days I'm in ad-hoc survival mode.

I'm curious how the DL iso work affects snatch power, good DL people have some heavy snatching power. My low back hates DL, too many years hard labor, maybe the ISO DL would work for me..?.. Gonna give it a shot some time, when I get training more together, these days I'm in ad-hoc survival mode.
Some of the iso research shows strength increase but decrease in vertical jump height presumably die to stiffening of tendons. This is one of the reasons I include those pulse efforts.

Annecdotally my hinge is pretty good, cleaning the 150 pound bag has gotten easier by quite a bit.

The iso project has been very kind to me. Especially coming off the sandbag clusters which are almost the polar opposite. The new job has me walking and climbing stairs a great deal more during the day, the two have combined to greatly improve my overall physical health (knock on wood...) in terms of aches and pains.

Variety day.
Inspired by the DL thread and it was already part of the plan, did some atlas ball type sandbag work. Hook from either side, round back to clear the knees. Set on knees and lower hips ATG, straighten back. Bearhug up to standing. Lower in reverse. Intention isto work up to bodyweight.

3 minutes jumprope warmup.
- 2sets/5reps 105lb
- 2sets/5reps 135lb
- 2sets/5reps 155lb

Curious how my back will react to these, but have had to do a bit of off-the-floor pulls on small heavy parts that have left me feeling I need to make sure I'm always working with a surplus.

Also experimenting with new iso DL version with bar only a few inches off the floor instead of just under my knee. These can still be done with neutral back throughout and puts the hamstrings and erectors at longer length.

Last edited:
3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl
- Grip

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Some of the iso research shows strength increase but decrease in vertical jump height presumably die to stiffening of tendons. This is one of the reasons I include those pulse efforts.

Annecdotally my hinge is pretty good, cleaning the 150 pound bag has gotten easier by quite a bit.

The iso project has been very kind to me. Especially coming off the sandbag clusters which are almost the polar opposite. The new job has me walking and climbing stairs a great deal more during the day, the two have combined to greatly improve my overall physical health (knock on wood...) in terms of aches and pains.
Yes, anything that improves our day to day life is great. Glad you're seeing some improvements (y)

Round back atlas w/sandbags:
3 minutes jumprope warmup.
- 2sets/5reps 105lb
- 2sets/5reps 135lb
- 2sets/5reps 155lb

Felt L4L5 twinge on first rep, good after that. Still in wait-and-see mode based on how I feel on the day after doing these, hopefully will feel increasingly comfortable. While this is a worthwhile lift, I have my serious doubts re real world carryover due to fairly specific lift mechanics.

Hook hands as far under as possible, shrug upward toward centerline with lean back to deposit load on knees (I don't have to crane it up with rounded back, but it does have to support the load in a static posture). Reset hold without using hands, just clamp inside bent arms, and stand a la Zercher DL/Squat - this is actually harder on my lower back than the round back portion.

- Squat
- OH press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 10seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

- Squat
- OH press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 10seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

How's body comp doing Martin?

How's body comp doing Martin?
Doing well. I don't have the magnitude of effect to really put much more mass on. Dialed back the cals a little and recomp'd at about 197, holding steady, pretty jacked for an old guy.

Will try to push back up to 200 but it might be out of reach for what I'm doing without it being mostly fat...

Back
Top Bottom