all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hypertrophy in 40s 50s 60s ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hormesis says there is a range of efforts - challenges, if you prefer - we can use in our training, and everything in that range should be used. That range includes things that we can do one day and wouldn't be able to do the next - unless one's life dictates otherwise, some of that heavy effort should be part of best ways to go about fitness.

Even if the body has less capability to make adaptations, the stimulus for adaptations isn't less important. It is more important - it is the signal to build what is possible, to maintain what is possible, it is what slows the inevitable loss of physical capabilities. If one trains at the minimum levels, those in time become maximums. The older one gets the faster minimums will become maximums.

Just to give me a feel for it please, what sort of difference do you expect to see in one of your competition lifts over the 13 week preparation ?
Adding to what Steve said - Bill, because you have not been doing the powerlifts as long and hard as Steve, you could make greater gains over a 13 week period, using any reasonable program, than Steve is likely to make using an "optimum" program. And for Steve the percentage gains will likely vary by lift. Very individual, and for the individual as Steve says, you won't know until you test.

Funny enough, Dan Martin's Program Minimum is like a harder version of S&S designed by a firefighter.

Also to quote S&S Revised and Updated from the chapter "A lesson from Workers and Peasants"
Here is how to apply the blue-collar frame of mind to swings and get-ups. Think of yourself as a contractor with a job of 100 of one and 10 of the other. If it is a job, you naturally want to finish it as quickly as possible, punch out, and go out for beer and pizza. On the other hand, you are not in the mood to kill yourself to the point where you fall asleep with your face in a double pepperoni and extra cheese. And you remember you have another job waiting tomorrow—and the day after, and one after that.
Honestly, I am not getting the hate for the quote. Dan's a smart guy.

Last edited:
Honestly, I am not getting the hate for the quote. Dan's a smart guy.

Dan's not just a smart guy, he's a great guy, and of all the people I've met in my fitness journey, he remains someone who I think is very special, and who I admire greatly. That said, we'll agree to disagree about this.

-S-

Just to give me a feel for it please, what sort of difference do you expect to see in one of your competition lifts over the 13 week preparation ?

I can give something of a specific answer in this case.

In February, 2022, I set a new lifetime best in the deadlift: 167.5 kg at 66 years of age, 148 pounds bodyweight, and raw, not even a belt. That was new best by 2.5 kg over my previous lifetime best of 165 kg which I'd set a few years earlier. I am hoping to add yet another 2.5 kg to my lifetime best at a meet on November 19, 2022 outside of Philly and deadlift 170 kg at now age 67.

-S-

I can give something of a specific answer in this case.

In February, 2022, I set a new lifetime best in the deadlift: 167.5 kg at 66 years of age, 148 pounds bodyweight, and raw, not even a belt. That was new best by 2.5 kg over my previous lifetime best of 165 kg which I'd set a few years earlier. I am hoping to add yet another 2.5 kg to my lifetime best at a meet on November 19, 2022 outside of Philly and deadlift 170 kg at now age 67.

-S-
Thanks Steve, that helps me understand things a bit better

FWIW I just completed Fabio's pressing program in the App, 12 weeks, increased LH repmax from 2 x 24 to 1 x 28 and RH repmax 1 x 28 to 1x30 ............... I'd be chuffed if I can get a 32kg Press & Getup before downward curve of Getting Older crashes into the upward curve of Getting Better.

Attachments

• strength curves.jpg
    strength curves.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yes, but ...

A relevant discussion point here is exactly what we mean when discussing "maintaining muscle mass." I don't take this as any kind of endorsement of bodybuilding, but rather as an endorsement of strength training done in such a way as to not allow muscle mass to deteriorate beyond what might be normal in middle age. IOW, one should strive to maintain some muscle mass, and using myself as an example, I strive to keep what I've got. My expectation for myself is that I will continue to need to cut weight in order to make weight for competitions for a long time to come, and I don't ever expect to drop a weight class as a result of sarcopenia until the flesh starts rotting off my cold, dead body. :)

-S-
From my limited understanding, as long as you are keeping strength or building it, whilst maintaning bodyweight or losing it, then that is good. Relatively you could apply this to bulking too, which I know you have no interest in.

One man that does exist in a different online galaxy regarding strength training, has a very similar philosophy to you Steve, although the way he applies it is very different.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom