all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell HARD! (Geoff Neupert)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Peppermintbish, you’ve made quite a few assumptions here. It’s not terribly generous of you to characterize people who’d like the exercises in a chain spelled out is “dumb,” nor is it kind to fault @Geoff Neupert for not meeting your expectation of

… some type of multiple-complex structure to allow for long term progressive overload.

Just my opinion; your mileage may vary.

-S-

@Peppermintbish, you’ve made quite a few assumptions here. It’s not terribly generous of you to characterize people who’d like the exercises in a chain spelled out is “dumb,” nor is it kind to fault @Geoff Neupert for not meeting your expectation of

Just my opinion; your mileage may vary.

-S-
I have to agree. I have run several of Geoff's complexes in the past and can tell you that having the particulars spelled out really helps! One of the reasons I enjoy the original KBM is because it provides exact rest periods between sets of complexes.......when you're figuring out the work to rest ratios while your huffing and gasping it makes it just that much tougher!

Haven't bought the product yet but based on the description, the fact some guesswork is taken out for you is already a game changer IMO.

it also appears like it streamlines a lot of the ideas of strength shortcuts into a series of templates..

A lot of people want to work hard, but need guidance. Not everyone is experienced and can think for themselves. Someone might not be able to do a double snatch with 16's and just shelve the workout instead of maybe doing a high pull instead. Or they're not conditioned enough to keep up with the rest periods.

Look at Simple and Sinister. There are a lot of people who stick to this minimalist program because it takes any guesswork out. People want to be told what to do.

The book is what it is, an updated version of More Kettlebell Muscle. Cuban Programming is a good marketing phrase. Same as the comrade/Soviet schtick.

Think of all the money people waste, $47 is a half tank of gas. No big deal.

I went ahead and bought it. I'm a little confused - what has been changed from the complexes in MKM? - besides Geoff adding some longer rest intervals for beginners (and writing out the chains for people too dumb to do it themselves).
Don't get me wrong, I love Geoff's programs. I will be running the Olympic 3.0 with some 28s, starting with the intermediate rest intervals then advanced intervals - but that is mainly to give myself the comfort of not having wasted 47USD on a list of complexes that is already available on the net for free.
There was mention of some Cuban Weightlifting Method - but is does that just involve working up from longer rest times? I mean, I was at least expecting some type of multiple-complex structure to allow for long term progressive overload. But it's the same list with the same text as MKM. Am I missing something here?
I'd admit that if I had already owned More Kettlebell Muscle, I would probably be a little disciplined. But since I don't I am very pleased! But there is nothing wrong with having a new edition. Look at books like Wendler 5/3/1 and Starting Strength. 5/3/1 Forever was his 3rd book. You can good 5/3/1 and get the basic format or even go onto his website and get free variations. But the book was well worth it for the addition information a side notes. Starting Strength is on its 3rd edition of the same book, just with revisions. Maybe if Hard! Was called MKM 2.0, it would’ve been less misleading, but I don’t blame the rebranding at all. Hard! associates with Strong! a lot better in my opinion. And if you look as his marketing pyramid, it makes more sense. Strong! I believe would be a level 4, and Hard! would be a level 5.

As far as the Cuban programming goes, I believe it’s the combination of Soviet’s weekly light, medium, heavy loading combined with American’s week loading progression, ala additional sets and reduced rests periods. It is good marketing, but I believe that it is great programming. Not the mention $47 is a heck of a lot cheaper than many other 8-12 week programs out there.

So I got my hands on a copy and I can tell anyone who is hesitant to make the purchase:

It's a lot like how I have been training for the past few years. (obviously the huge influence of Geoff plays a role)

I am 90 kilo and can almost press 36 kilo military press both hands, I can front squat 36+32 five times and I have passed simple untimed.

I was wondering if doing some of the chains/complexes with double 12 kilo would be acceptable ?

What kind of gains would IT lead to ?

Welp, pulls out wallet.......again. Dammit Geoff. :p ?

Seriously, huge fan of Geoff's programming. This year I've done a bunch of KB WOD into a round of KB Strong. I also have the Giant. Recently I've been working a mix of RoP and KB Sport work for about 4 weeks. Building up the endurance has felt great. These complexes and chains are speaking to me already.

I am 90 kilo and can almost press 36 kilo military press both hands, I can front squat 36+32 five times and I have passed simple untimed.

I was wondering if doing some of the chains/complexes with double 12 kilo would be acceptable ?

What kind of gains would IT lead to ?

I'd recommend touching up for on doubles work (strong or giant perhaps) prior to jumping into chains and complexes

As of today, I've done a solid year of kettlebells, running S&S, ETK, all the GIANT programs, and some workouts from 102 Kettlebell Workouts, all with a single bell from 16 kg to 24 kg. All these programs have been amazing.

Then Kettlebell HARD! comes out! So much for not falling prey to Shiny Object Syndrome! :)

I just started practicing a few Double Cleans and Presses and then running the SFG (6) Circuit from Kettlebell Express with a single bell. Will run that for 6 weeks and then maybe go to STRONG or...?

It sounds like I need a lot more Doubles work before I can start Kettlebell HARD!

Am I correct with that assumption?

If so, should I do STRONG before HARD, or do some GIANT with doubles or what?

Any guidance and insight is greatly appreciated!

It sounds like I need a lot more Doubles work before I can start Kettlebell HARD!

You may get other advice, but mine would be "not necessarily." My recommendation is to have a pretty realistic idea what your 10RM is for snatch, press and front squats with doubles (you obviously need to get comfortable with double snatches), err on the side of "light" when picking weights (it's called ".....Hard!" for a reason), and then see how you go.

As stated above, you may not need a lot of doubles work with some smart prep. But...at the risk of adding to your shiny object disease, maybe consider Pavel's Total Tension Complex for a nice doubles and complexes primer. Will give you a feel for the tension requirements while being less rigorous than some programs in HARD! (in a good way). No double snatches in TTC, but you can perhaps practice those on the side.

As of today, I've done a solid year of kettlebells, running S&S, ETK, all the GIANT programs, and some workouts from 102 Kettlebell Workouts, all with a single bell from 16 kg to 24 kg. All these programs have been amazing.

Then Kettlebell HARD! comes out! So much for not falling prey to Shiny Object Syndrome! :)

I just started practicing a few Double Cleans and Presses and then running the SFG (6) Circuit from Kettlebell Express with a single bell. Will run that for 6 weeks and then maybe go to STRONG or...?

If so, should I do STRONG before HARD, or do some GIANT with doubles or what?

Any guidance and insight is greatly appreciated!
Lots of entry level complexes (3 movements) in kettlebell express ultra reloaded. I'd recommend going there

Another option is a cycle of dry fighting weight

Hi Everybody . I've just purchased the product. Can you help me with hybrid extreme 1.0. I have 3 groups of exercises. for example :

A1. Double Front Squat Ladders: 1,2,3
w/5RM

A2. Double Military Press Ladders: 1,2,3
w/5RM

A3. Pull UpWeighted: Sets of 1
with 5RM;
OR -
Unweighted: 40% of
RM

Should i do it A1 all lader than A2 and A3

Hi Everybody . I've just purchased the product. Can you help me with hybrid extreme 1.0. I have 3 groups of exercises. for example :

A1. Double Front SquatLadders: 1,2,3
w/5RM

A2. Double Military PressLadders: 1,2,3
w/5RM

A3. Pull UpWeighted: Sets of 1
with 5RM;
OR -
Unweighted: 40% of
RM

Should i do it A1 all lader than A2 and A3
1Squat 1 press single pullup or 40% rep
2 squat 2 press 1 single pullup or 40% rep

Make sense?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom