all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J.C.S.

Level 4 Valued Member
Does anyone compete in or just practice the throws (Olympic, Highland Games, etc) along with their kettlebell training? I imagine the disciplines compliment each other well. I threw in school and am interested in starting again.

My KB experience has always been GS style but the StrongFirst principles/technique appear more applicable for improving throws. I have been practicing hardstyle technique and enjoy the new challenge!

Anyway, interested to see how folks program their throwing training!

If you haven't you probably should google more about Dan John. He is a discus thrower, prominent strength coach with a lot of focus on kettlebell training and co-author of the book Easy Strength with Pavel Tsasouline. Dan John

I don't remember anything particular he wrote about throws training, but it may be that I simply didn't notice as it is not my field of interest.

I anticipate trying my first Highland Games this spring. Without the implements to train certain movements (caber, weight for distance/height, though I can practice stone throws), I plan to just get stronger with deadlifts/swings and loaded carries (for the caber toss) and snatches (weight for height is a snatch you let go!).

Good luck Sean! I would like to give the games a go also in the future. Your programming makes great sense to me for the specific heavy athletic events. I will start following your training log, have you been working on your technique much? Youtube has a plethora of quality videos at first glance.

Good luck Sean! I would like to give the games a go also in the future. Your programming makes great sense to me for the specific heavy athletic events. I will start following your training log, have you been working on your technique much? Youtube has a plethora of quality videos at first glance.
Haven’t started any of the HG throws yet. I’m in the middle of Rite of Passage now, will probably do another round of it before HG practice. Will certainly log my practice when the time comes!

there is a guy named Matt Vincent on youtube who was a 2 time Highland games champ. he has throwing videos, fair warning he does curse frequently.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom