all posts post new thread
Quick question about the Rib Grab stretch: Is their a technical reason for holding the ribs with the upper arm as opposed to extending it to the back for added stretch loading?

Quick question about the Rib Grab stretch: Is their a technical reason for holding the ribs with the upper arm as opposed to extending it to the back for added stretch loading?
The best way to improve shoulder mobility is via addressing the t-spine first. This is why we start with the rib grab this way. Once your optimize the t-spine, then add in the reach to improve GH rom.

The best way to improve shoulder mobility is via addressing the t-spine first. This is why we start with the rib grab this way. Once your optimize the t-spine, then add in the reach to improve GH rom.

Ahhh... I see.

Now that I'm able to do sots presses, I think I'll add the reach and position this stretch before arm bars in my daily mobility routine.

Seems to me the LCC&J program should be compatible to alternate with blocks of Q&D. Yes?

I don't really enjoy swings, I do them because they work. I do enjoy snatches and long cycles just for the sake of doing them, so alternating blocks of AGT long cycles with blocks of Q&D snatches would make me very happy.

I was thinking program A until stall or 6 weeks, then 6 weeks of Q&D and repeat.

Last edited:
Seems to me the LCC&J program should be compatible to alternate with blocks of Q&D. Yes?

I don't really enjoy swings, I do them because they work. I do enjoy snatches and long cycles just for the sake of doing them, so alternating blocks of AGT long cycles with blocks of Q&D snatches would make me very happy.

I was thinking program A until stall or 6 weeks, then 6 weeks of Q&D and repeat.

Well, since Q&D and A+A are recommended as alternate blocks, it makes sense to alternate the program in this product with Q&D as well... once you reach the intermediate targets. I'm using this program to rehab my healing shoulder with light and paused 1-arm push presses (12K).

I am thinking more of the mitochondrial stimulation aspect. Pavel writes that Q&D is biased towards MT biogenesis, A+A is biased toward MT respiration, and S&S lies somewhere in between. So, to make my question a bit more specific, is this long cycle program sufficiently biased toward MT respiration to make it a good compliment to Q&D?

I am thinking more of the mitochondrial stimulation aspect. Pavel writes that Q&D is biased towards MT biogenesis, A+A is biased toward MT respiration, and S&S lies somewhere in between. So, to make my question a bit more specific, is this long cycle program sufficiently biased toward MT respiration to make it a good compliment to Q&D?
That's a great question, IMO.

I would say the style of this C&J program - “Strength Aerobics” - is on the “respiration” side, but not as far as A+A (which is a more thorough depletion due to heavier load from more reps, 3-5) due to imposed tempo (rather than by feel). But stopping the session when the talk test fails keeps it on that half of the continuum, while Q&D is intentionally revving the engine (albeit in a more sustainable way, the argument goes).

I suspect it pairs well with Q&D because you are see-sawing between the two halves of the continuum.

Yes, really. My knees probably wouldn't hurt as much these days if I had known it 30 years ago. Don't think it would have helped my land nav though. I get lost in squad sized perimeters. I have concluded that, while I have a very strong sense of direction, it is also very inaccurate.

Ah yeah, that as well, though I suspect it also has to do with my rucking. It just took too much time to get from one point to another that I only barely made time hacks when I did. Oh well.

When will the updated PDF be available/sent out via e-mail?
I believe any confusing has been addressed, but a saved updated copy would be great.

2 questions after buying the program.
1. In Europe where I live with current lockdowns I can’t see bjj being back until the earliest May. Is it ok to add in another workout a week to progress faster while waiting to get back on the Matt.
2. once you own intermediate and have dialled in the clean and jerk. Would it be ok to add one clean and jerk session a week while staying with swings and getups

cheers shane

ps After a week of using the program I really like it. I found it very easy to know where to start on my current S&S progress

I bought the program (BJJ Fanatics is having a President's day sale which is 40% off) -- I gave it a thorough read through and the PDF download mentions is it V3 from the title.

Program looks solid. I still think I have some other stuff I would like to try first prior to using it, but I can definitely see the program being good to use an an "in season" training plan.

I bought the program (BJJ Fanatics is having a President's day sale which is 40% off) -- I gave it a thorough read through and the PDF download mentions is it V3 from the title.

Program looks solid. I still think I have some other stuff I would like to try first prior to using it, but I can definitely see the program being good to use an an "in season" training plan.

It must be a silent upgrade then, as I have V2 from two weeks ago. The link BJJ sent me still points to V2.

Would appreciate a pointer on how to get the latest version. When I login to my BJJ account I only see the video link, not the pdf link.

The link I have also directs me to version 2. Does anyone know how to get the link to version 3?

It must be a silent upgrade then, as I have V2 from two weeks ago. The link BJJ sent me still points to V2.

Would appreciate a pointer on how to get the latest version. When I login to my BJJ account I only see the video link, not the pdf link.
I would recommend emailing BJJ Fanatics. They have very active customer service and usually get back to you within 24-48 hours.

Very keen to buy this!
Just a question though. it seems like it is very much directed to BJJ (In regards to combat sports). Would this be beneficial to strikers?

Very keen to buy this!
Just a question though. it seems like it is very much directed to BJJ (In regards to combat sports). Would this be beneficial to strikers?
I am not training martial arts. However, from reading this thread and other strongfirst output, I would guess that
a) Yes, and
b) Alternating the LCCJ block every 6 weeks with Quick and the Dead (Q&D, Swings and Pushups) could be a great combination.

See also this for inspiration:

@wespom9 , it's an absolutely glorious game that doesn't physically exclude the everyday public from playing...i.e. normal sized folks! It was a big part of my childhood. Even kids that didn't like it played catch, practiced in the infield, etc. I was a Mets fan growing up but guys like Reggie Jackson and the like were my heroes. Kids today don't seem as interested and I find it sad.

Ok sorry for being off topic on a Monday...
I have often jokingly said I am "functionally western" as I have a taste for a lot of western things..

I got to play some baseball not competitive though in middle school and was glad it was offered as P.E. in my sophomore year in college.

Loved playing shortstop or 3rd base.

Back
Top Bottom