all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice: 11/15/21
Everyone went to bed early after a weekend partying with their cousins (adults and children alike). Woke up early and snuck in my light day before work. Might bike to school later too.
ROP light day:
3x(1,2) half kneeling c&p @ 55#
Pull-ups to go with em’

Today’s practice: 11/16/21
7 half kneeling snatches @26#, 15:15 VWC, 12 minutes/24 rounds. These sessions are very interesting. Such a juxtaposition to the serious endurance protocol. I have to say, i love being able to walk home from work in my lunch to walk the dog/eat and get a killer snatch session in 10 minutes. You feel just spent enough, but I am still able to get back to work and continue to teach elementary kids how to underhand throw (i kinda killed it today). Also i would like everyone to know that i have my elementary students doing OS resets, fast and loose drills, and some mobility stuff from Maceks “resilient”. I love seeing all of them roll with it.
Also, @Bret S. i started using a yoga block under my knees for the half kneeling stuff and I really like it. I started playing with your version of the wiper in the tgu too. What is that called?
Also i fell down a mobility rabbit hole last night and am starting with “relaxing into stretching”, then “super joints”, and finally “flexible steel”. Developed medial epicondylitis last time i went through ROP so I don’t want to pretend that it can’t happen again. There are some amazing revelations for me in the first few chapters alone. I’m sold, and am now convinced that i can do the splits. I should have been seated in the v sit the whole time i typed this out…..

Also, @Bret S. i started using a yoga block under my knees for the half kneeling stuff and I really like it. I started playing with your version of the wiper in the tgu too. What is that called?
Also i fell down a mobility rabbit hole last night and am starting with “relaxing into stretching”, then “super joints”, and finally “flexible steel”. Developed medial epicondylitis last time i went through ROP so I don’t want to pretend that it can’t happen again. There are some amazing revelations for me in the first few chapters alone. I’m sold, and am now convinced that i can do the splits. I should have been seated in the v sit the whole time i typed this out…..
I use the getup 'step over' method so as not to grind the knee into the ground with weight on it.

Please be careful with flexibility work, go slow.. very sloooowwww... I had a bad groin injury 5-6 years ago trying too much, too fast. I was losing some karate flexibility from not enough work on it, then I went whole hog and it didn't work out well. Overstretching tendons and ligaments can lead to problems while performing other work or activities. If you want it bad enough give it years of steady practice without expecting anything, that's when my gains were best.

Thank you, and i will not force it. I’m mostly happy with my mobility, but don’t want it to fall by the wayside as i make progress in strength and endurance. Something I haven’t put a lot of time or energy into since covid hit and i stopped going to yoga.

Today’s practice: 11/17/21
ROP medium day, 3x(1,2,3) half kneeling clean and presses @55#. Pull-ups to go with em’, actually managed to get a 3rd rep in my middle set. I felt strong today! Also i realized i have been misleading with my “c&p” label for ROP and wanted to clarify. I am only doing the clean to get us started and not every rep. This just didn’t serm like a good idea, and good form is really hard at that weight and as I’ve said, I don’t want to hurt myself again.

Today’s practice: VWC
WU: 3x5 GS @16k
4x5 Roman chair sit up.
Found this one in relax into stretching I believe (maybe super joints). Said it’s great for tight hip flexors and their insertion point in the low back. I have tightness in those areas so hopefully this will benefit me. I don’t necessarily believe that my low abs are weak, but there’s always room for improvement.
7 STANDING snatches@16k; 10 rounds of 15:15.
This was tough…16k felt heavy. I guess it’s not that surprising though. Despite my best efforts you can’t truly train something without training it specifically. Can’t win a foot race training on a treadmill.

Last edited:
7 STANDING snatches@16k; 10 rounds of 15:15.
This was tough…16k felt heavy. I guess it’s not that surprising though. Despite my best efforts you can’t truly train something without training it specifically. Can’t win a foot race training on a treadmill.
Back on your feet again!! (y)

Today’s practice: 11/20/21
ROP heavy day: 3x(1,2,3,4,5) clean(at start) and press. Pull ups were kept at 1-2 reps based on what i can handle. Focusing on just getting that one good rep then adding some hang time in at the end.
Did the first rungs 1-2 back to back standing as well to try to ease my way back in. Was wearing boot and shoe as well to be safe. Felt good overall, i had certainly rushed this program in the past due to my naivety, plan to take it slow and steady and to the book this time. I believe that breaks down to a 13 week program or so.

Today’s practice: clean practice
Wife was at work. Was doing chores around the house and the kids are passing a stomach bug around so it was a movie/book marathon for them. I was supposed to have an offday but wanted to do something so I drilled cleans. Watched a vid with neuport, then gutierrez about leading with the elbow. Was very helpful and i just wanted to immediately put it to practice. Great improvements!

Today’s practice: 11/22/21
ROP light day 3x(1,2,3) standing c&p @ 55#, pull-ups to go with em, mostly singles. These are starting to feel pretty good after drilling with the 20k all day yesterday. I think I’m going to shelve VWC for now and just work on A+A snat h/swing till I’m back to a better place with ballistics on my feet.

Today’s practice: 11/22/21
ROP light day 3x(1,2,3) standing c&p @ 55#, pull-ups to go with em, mostly singles. These are starting to feel pretty good after drilling with the 20k all day yesterday. I think I’m going to shelve VWC for now and just work on A+A snat h/swing till I’m back to a better place with ballistics on my feet.
A+A takes the hurry out of it and you can load up more, heavy weight is instructive.. as they say.

@Bret S. Exactly, the 16k feels weird in my hands tbh. I will come back to VWC, might use my adjustable bell since my 16k handle is just not quite right for me. 20k feels really good for snatches right now, build my way up to the 24.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 11/24/21
ROP medium day; 3x(1,2,3,4) c&p
Pullup singles on rungs 1&2, doubles on 3&4.
Had a bad stomach bug yesterday, spent the whole morning purging and the afternoon in bed. I wasn’t going to train today and was just doing a bunch if mobility. Had an opportunity later in the day though and was feeling good so I went for it.

Had a bad stomach bug yesterday, spent the whole morning purging and the afternoon in bed. I wasn’t going to train today and was just doing a bunch if mobility. Had an opportunity later in the day though and was feeling good so I went for it.
Stringing enough sessions like this together is how we get results, good job man!

Also realized today that i was progressing incorrectly in ROP. If anything i think i made it harder? Total volume may be off a bit, but i started progressing in rungs before ladders. It’s early enough where i cam just pick up where i am correctly. My medium day today is actually the same volume as I’ll be doing on my heavy day.

Today’s practice: 11/25/21
I did a gtg style circuit (a+a style) would do 6 swings on the left, put it down shake it off do whatever (i was making thanksgiving dinner all day and at home with what i hope is my final child to get sick, wife is working again). Then do it on the right, set it down do whatever. Next is three snatches each side, and top it all off with a TGU. Ended up doing five circuits in about 4-5 hours, all with my 55#. Felt about right, and my dinner turned out great! Also started my day out with a lot of mobility ala relax into Stretch.

Today’s practice: 11/27/21
Rop heavy day (recalibrate and correct)
5x(1,2 3) c&p @55#, pullups to go with ghem. Mostly singles but did doubles on the last rung of each ladder. Felt pretty good overall. Want to start timing my sessions, still go by feel and talk test, but just record and hopefully compress rest overall. My overall approach and mindset behind the program is of course strength, but with a side focus on hypertrophy. So, I’m trying to keep rest time as short as possible. I also appreciate and respect my needs for tending to the children/family throughout. Got it in while the wife was doing a speed workout at the track and the kids were playing in their rooms. Think i did it in about 45-60 minutes today though, leaning more towards the 45min range. Rant status achieved…signing out…..
Actually i was looking at my calendar and i had put feb 1st as a date to press the 40k and do the snatch test. Nowhere near snatch test, but i could go for max reps the day after my max press attempt. Rant secured…

Today’s practice: 11/28/21
snatch drills, moved on to swing, snatch, swing, snatch, then on to; swing, snatch, snatch, and so on the just snatches. Maybe did about 50-60 reps total, then did some slow and controlled front squat practice. 3x3 es.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 11/29/21
ROP light day; 5(1) c&p with pull-ups to go with em’.
Got about ten miles in on my bike today as well. Planning on using that to get more zone 2 in.

Back
Top Bottom