all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice: 8/17/21
Soju and Tuba day 5: 12x1 @75#
first reps felt stiff and tough but i anapped into it quickly. Last few reps were grinds on the left side, stalled out a few times but I’m proud to say that i stuck with good form and powered through, finished in about an hour. There was a great strongfirst email recently talking about experienced lifters sticking through instead of compromising. That article stuck with me and rang true today.
So far i think this program is pairing with marathon training fairly well. I will say that i have been hungry and tired. So i have been indulging in both of those things as of late.

Yesterday’s practice: 8/18/21
Been stuck at home with the kiddos while wife is working ot. Summer camp is over the kids and i and the oldest is stuck in a walker after her bone biopsy. Things have gotten a little stir crazy but we have gone to the movies for the past two days to see $1 shows at noon. So in the am i have been doing my soju and tuba. These past two high volume days were done back to back. While i have been tired my body has felt ok recovery wise. Anyways, soju and tuba day 6: 14x1 @75#, did the whole session in about two hours or less.

Today’s practice: 9.5 mile easy run. Haven’t been out running all week so i wanted to get some volume in. Also had a lot of intensity from all the pressing, that has been knocking me on my butt apparently. Did a 3 or so mile loop warm up with the dog but it was pretty hot out for her. So I dropped her off at hime and went for laps around a local cemetery. Nice easy low/controlled hr run. Very pleased with my improved hr performance. Long runs feel pretty easy, my self regulation in other aspects of training seems to be fairly well dialed in.

Today’s practice:
Was planning on an 18-20 mile run but the wife and i were not feeling great after a long week. Around mile 10 lightning struck directly by us so we took that as a sign and turned around through the pouring rain. Not as planned, but listened to our bodies and the elements. Excited for soju and tuba tomorrow with double reps.

edit: 12 total miles

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 8/22/21
Woke up with some stretching and then right into soju and tuba day 7
3x2 @ 75#
Hour or so break followed by:
6.5 mile run with the wife to make up for the shorter run the day before.

Today’s practice: 8/25/21
Soju and tuba day 9
5x2
4th round left side failed second rep had to split it up. Retried after and got the two reps in a row.

Today’s practice (so far): 8/31/21 Soju and Tuba day 11, 7x2 military press @75#.
have been trying to match/improve my hand placement on the clean and press with my left hand. I’m stuck with more of a ballistic hold on the left opposed to the right. Whenever i try to adjust i seem to fail the second rep though. Happened a couple of times today. Hoping to run more in the evening.
edit: i did tun an additional 5 miles with my dog in the evening.

Last edited:
Today’s practice (so far): 8/31/21 Soju and Tuba day 11, 7x2 military press @75#.
have been trying to match/improve my hand placement on the clean and press with my left hand. I’m stuck with more of a ballistic hold on the left opposed to the right. Whenever i try to adjust i seem to fail the second rep though. Happened a couple of times today. Hoping to run more in the evening.
edit: i did tun an additional 5 miles with my dog in the evening.
You do lots of run miles Larry, is run training part of a plan or more ad-hoc?

You do lots of run miles Larry, is run training part of a plan or more ad-hoc?
Running is the focus right now, i have a marathon in both October and December.
Pressing is the ad-hoc because I’m an addict and now need to have heavy stuff overhead. It started out perfect but the cns overload is real in those presses. I had no idea how much overall glute/trunk activation would be required. Idk if I’ll make it all the way through soju and tuba at this point. I had a conversation with myself about recalibrating and refocusing on running. School is starting back up so that will make me run/commute 5-10 miles at least once a week.

Yesterday’s practice: 9/3/21
Soju and tuba: day 12 8x2 @75#
felt good today, took a day off after some heavy running early in the week. No failed reps, focussed more on execution rather than hand placement and everything went much smoother.

Running is the focus right now, i have a marathon in both October and December.
Pressing is the ad-hoc because I’m an addict and now need to have heavy stuff overhead. It started out perfect but the cns overload is real in those presses. I had no idea how much overall glute/trunk activation would be required. Idk if I’ll make it all the way through soju and tuba at this point. I had a conversation with myself about recalibrating and refocusing on running. School is starting back up so that will make me run/commute 5-10 miles at least once a week.
Thanks, I thought you had mentioned a marathon.. your running stamina is mind boggling to me.

Pressing OH really recruits the whole body, and you're right, it will put a hurtin on ya if you get surprised by accumulating fatigue. Luckily we can rest and recover if needed, short recovery requires not going too deep into the CNS overload rabbit hole.
I've hit the wall with both VWC and Navy Seal burpees in the past (there are others too), it's no fun when your body feels whacked out and you have to tuck tail and run.. I mean that figuratively of course, having said that I find running to be a fantastic overall strength and stamina builder without equal when it comes down to locomotion work modes.

Thanks, I thought you had mentioned a marathon.. your running stamina is mind boggling to me.

Pressing OH really recruits the whole body, and you're right, it will put a hurtin on ya if you get surprised by accumulating fatigue. Luckily we can rest and recover if needed, short recovery requires not going too deep into the CNS overload rabbit hole.
I've hit the wall with both VWC and Navy Seal burpees in the past (there are others too), it's no fun when your body feels whacked out and you have to tuck tail and run.. I mean that figuratively of course, having said that I find running to be a fantastic overall strength and stamina builder without equal when it comes down to locomotion work modes.
Thank you. Progressive overload just like anything else followed by maintenance.

Today’s practice: 9/5/21
Started out the day with an attempt at 3 reps @75#. I was slightly concerned but they went up really easy. Was super happy especially having run 20 miles the day before. Wife was ready to run so i saved the rest for later. 5 mile shake out run with the wifey. Had family time with the in-laws and family. Finished off soju and tuba in the afternoon and started from scratch. So overall i did 3x3 @75#, 1x3 in the am, 2x3 in the afternoon.

Today’s practice: 8/6/21
Soju and tuba day 14 (i think):
3x3@75#. Felt quite good today as well, presses are going up clean and easy (mostly).

Back
Top Bottom