all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Energy is up so I’m going for it. 6 rounds of kneeling snatches @24#, 10L switch hands 10R. Take a break and then do 5 bottoms up presses each side. Thought I’d record my kneeling snatches, pardon the poor angle and mess, everything in my house is a mess rn and my space is not conducive to filming. Kneeling snatches
Glad you're feeling better, crutching will do some good things I suspect. Those snatches look very effective, I like the way you're using the opposite arm as a counter weight.

I’m trying out this program design. Did day 1 Sunday and day 2 today. Posted this in discussion boards: (y’all are of course welcome to weigh in as well.)
All of this is from kneeling position with a (currently) 24# adjustable kettlebell (found it in an alley and am finally using it), except for day 3 which i will be using a 16k for swings. All critiques of what i should be doing is 100% welcome. If you think i should be doing something totally different, tell me.
Something like this:
Day 1
Heavy snatch/ Light press
10R/10L nonstop kneeling suite case snatches
Rest/talk test
X6
5 Bottoms up kneeling military press R/L
Rest/talk test
X4
Day 2
Medium snatch/medium press
Same as above, but 5 sets each.
Day 3
Swings/Heavy press
10L/10R nonstop suitcase swings @16k
X5
5 Bottoms up kneeling military press R/L
X6
I think the Kneeling snatches are pretty cool. I like them better than the swings after initial testing

Alright, change of plans! Following this program “From simple to serious endurance” by the man al ciampa! Going to be on knees of course, but thinking of doing the longest session of each week as swings, and the other three as snatches. Swings are @ 16k and i do 10 reps on the minute for the prescribed time. Snatches are 7 reps on the minute @11k. Going to work in some bottoms up presses prior to some of the shorter sessions, instead of the optional get ups.

Did 22 minutes of 10 (L/R) swings @ 16k on the minute today.

Today’s practice: 10-8-21
Serious endurance week one, 18 min of 7 kneeling snatches on the minute , L/R @24#. Feels pretty good, the kneeling REALLY works your glutes. Recovery seems pretty easy. Should i increase weight? I could swap the 3# plate for a 5# one and see how that goes.

I want to start recording more. Thought i would post some videos here as well. Thoughts or critique is always welcome.
L, kneeling snatch
R, kneeling snatch

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 10/10/21
Chicago Marathon ?. Crutched/hobbled around with the kids cheering on wifey. Humid day, a lot of people struggled. I had been doing really well in the heat this year, i wonder….
Anyways; week 2 day 1 of Al Ciampa’s “From simple to sinister endurance”.
16 minutes of 7 kneeling snatches on the minute @24#. Felt good. bell is really being flung over, i think i need a tad more weight.

Today’s practice: 10/12/21
Serious endurance: w2d2
24 min of 7 snatches on the minute L/R @ 26#
Upped the weight a couple of lbs and i could tell the difference. I think this is where i need to be. Never thought i would be adjusting 2# on my kb, but it’s really nice rn!

Foot is feeling quite good, went with no crutches today and have my appointment on Thursday. Hoping for good news.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Al's programming! It sounds like you've found a bridge to stay fit and keep some sanity as you recover. No advice from me on it, doesn't seem to be a need.

What are you kneeling on? That would be tough on my knees, too much construction work over the years, and a reason I hate doing low work anymore. I suppose with adaquate padding it would be ok.

Thank you @Bret S. , and I am sorry about your shoulder stuff too. Not training is the worst, i just stepped on the scale yesterday too…i tend to put on and take off extra fat rather quickly. I’m loving the a+a approach. I’ve never fully dedicated to a program like it. I love the progression in it.
I have a kitchen/wet floor rubber mat that i have down to lift on. I was kneeling on that, but now I’m using some small pieces of foam matting that is feeling even better. You can see a pic of the rubber matting, and the bells I’m using.
32FBAD2E-1695-4002-982E-D5F99998A5A8.jpeg

Today’s practice: 10-13-21
Serious endurance: w2d3; 32 minutes of 10 swings on the minute L/R @16k. This one was a bit tougher, was feeling down for a few sets, but rode it out and finished strong. This is certainly an interesting experience training from the knees. It’s really hard to get the bell parallel to the chest with swings. I tried with a lighter wright too and they just don’t want to pop all the way up there.

Last edited:
Thank you @Bret S. , and I am sorry about your shoulder stuff too. Not training is the worst, i just stepped on the scale yesterday too…i tend to put on and take off extra fat rather quickly. I’m loving the a+a approach. I’ve never fully dedicated to a program like it. I love the progression in it.
You're welcome, thanks for the well wishes on the shoulder. I've turned a corner on recently and it feels wonderful. Finally getting out of the danger zone of constant re-injury.
A+A is the training style I've adopted for life, it's so versatile and when mixed with locomotion and Buteyko breath work I've made consistent gains in fitness. Activity levels certainly do seem to make a difference in weight gain or loss, though it's not a straight proposition across the board I suspect, the fork work reigns supreme in body comp.

This is certainly an interesting experience training from the knees. It’s really hard to get the bell parallel to the chest with swings. I tried with a lighter wright too and they just don’t want to pop all the way up there.
I wouldn't sweat getting the bell up higher, you have a very small launch pad with limited hinging off the knees. When the swing is done it's done, and the swing work you do off the knees is hard. Do you feel it more in hip flexors, glutes and LB? Seems it would get intense doing it the way you are.

BTW, finding that adjustable kb is really a lucky find, that thing looks awesome!

@Bret S., So glad your shoulder is on the mend! I don’t feel bad about getting it up higher. That’s why i fid the test with the lighter bell, like you said it just doesn’t work as well. Definitely feel it in the glutes, low back if my form is failing, but I’ve been able to self correct so far. The hips feel it as well. I will say that I’m learning more about the snap and the plank working from here. The snatches feel much more natural from here, can’t decide if i should just do them all four days and drop the swing day.

@Bret S., So glad your shoulder is on the mend! I don’t feel bad about getting it up higher. That’s why i fid the test with the lighter bell, like you said it just doesn’t work as well. Definitely feel it in the glutes, low back if my form is failing, but I’ve been able to self correct so far. The hips feel it as well. I will say that I’m learning more about the snap and the plank working from here. The snatches feel much more natural from here, can’t decide if i should just do them all four days and drop the swing day.
Snatches may make more sense, the more upward trajectory makes it easier to gain momentum along with yanking the bell handle. Seems like snatches would be more fun and satisfying off the knees, and a better stimulus all around as the weight is moving around twice the swing distance.. not to mention some extra OH work as a bonus for shoulder health.

Snatches may make more sense, the more upward trajectory makes it easier to gain momentum along with yanking the bell handle. Seems like snatches would be more fun and satisfying off the knees, and a better stimulus all around as the weight is moving around twice the swing distance.. not to mention some extra OH work as a bonus for shoulder health.
Ya, was experimenting a bit but everything you’ve said is tracking. I think I’ll go all out snatches. I’m hoping that my doctors appointment goes well today and I’ll be adding in some light, bottoms up, tgu. I’m also wondering when i should start doing them standing. Going to ask my doc these things today as well.

Ya, was experimenting a bit but everything you’ve said is tracking. I think I’ll go all out snatches. I’m hoping that my doctors appointment goes well today and I’ll be adding in some light, bottoms up, tgu. I’m also wondering when i should start doing them standing. Going to ask my doc these things today as well.
Snatch for the win!

I will say 2hsw has fixed a lifetime of LB problems for me, so I do go for some more swing medicine now and then.

Good luck with today's visit, GU to the knee should be ok provided the doc clears you, if you have sufficient mobility anyway..

Snatch for the win!

I will say 2hsw has fixed a lifetime of LB problems for me, so I do go for some more swing medicine now and then.

Good luck with today's visit, GU to the knee should be ok provided the doc clears you, if you have sufficient mobility anyway..
I agree, almost went for it yesterday, I’m thinking i may be able to go all the way with a light bottoms up get up. My boot keeps my foot pretty stable, can’t be worse than walking or picking up my kids.

Today’s practice: 10-15-21
WU: QL stretch, etc.
3 bu tgu to half kneeling, with a bu press at half kneeling, L/R. Did it gtg style as i got things done around the house.
Serious endurance w2d4; 22 minutes of 7 kneeling snatches, on the minute @ 26#.
The kneeling is really allowing me to focus on some upper body technique improvements. The new article: “Mind the Drop“; talked about finger placement that i was starting to figure out on my own. Very timely!

Today’s practice: 10/17/21
Serious endurance; w3d1, 32 minutes of 7 kneeling/suitcase snatches on the minute @26#.
Really dialing in my breath work as well. I think even with my standing snatches, i would both inhale and exhale too early. Focusing more on the hip snap made me look for power elsewhere and lead me to my breath work. Happy with the progress. Foot is still broken, x rays did not show much healing. Doc said it’s normal, at least another month….
How would y’all progress from this or move onto next? Repeat with higher weight, reps, less rest time? I feel that i am now more efficient and could repeat with 8-9 reps. I also have two more three pound plates i could add, would likely only do one plate at a time though.

Today’s practice: 10/17/21
Serious endurance; w3d1, 32 minutes of 7 kneeling/suitcase snatches on the minute @26#.
Really dialing in my breath work as well. I think even with my standing snatches, i would both inhale and exhale too early. Focusing more on the hip snap made me look for power elsewhere and lead me to my breath work. Happy with the progress. Foot is still broken, x rays did not show much healing. Doc said it’s normal, at least another month….
How would y’all progress from this or move onto next? Repeat with higher weight, reps, less rest time? I feel that i am now more efficient and could repeat with 8-9 reps. I also have two more three pound plates i could add, would likely only do one plate at a time though.
Have you tried Bone-up? My brother fell from a ladder and broke his humerus, healing was speedy using it. I know of many others who say the same.

I would maybe add reps first on snatches off knees, give more time with the current load using this novel movement, you can always add weight later on. No need to invite another potential problem at this point I reckon.

Have you tried Bone-up? My brother fell from a ladder and broke his humerus, healing was speedy using it. I know of many others who say the same.

I would maybe add reps first on snatches off knees, give more time with the current load using this novel movement, you can always add weight later on. No need to invite another potential problem at this point I reckon.
I know the company that makes it, i use their probiotics. I may have to get it.

Back
Top Bottom