all posts post new thread

Less is More

@The Nail , I like the method of working up to rucking that you did. I am interested in adding these in a couple days a week, do you have a goal amount of walking you wanted to hit before transitioning into rucking?

Also, do you find it more beneficial to do fewer kettlebell training sessions a week, or is that something specific to your goals?

do you have a goal amount of walking you wanted to hit before transitioning into rucking
It was more about:
1. Giving my feet plenty of time to acclimate to the work
I'm a desk jockey so my feet don't get much in the way of healthy stimulus. I was taking myself from zero locomotion sessions during the week to five locomotion sessions.​
2. Reworking my gait
You might think "it's just walking" but as with anything doing it at a high level takes proper technique. I knew I'd need that technique when I started heavy rucking, so I took the time to get it right. Check out Al's StrongFirst article on rucking to get an idea -> link.​

Once I could do two KB snatch sessions with a 20-30 min walk after, and three standalone 50-75 minute walks STRONGLY, not just do it, I knew I was ready to ruck.

Also, do you find it more beneficial to do fewer kettlebell training sessions a week, or is that something specific to your goals?
Al specifies that for A+A, with all the locomotion work, it's better to do fewer KB sessions with heavier weight and more volume.

I can't handle a ton of snatching yet as my skin is still adapting to the snatch...5 reps in the snatch is harder than 10 reps on the swing. So right now my skin is deciding the number of snatching sessions for me.

@Kiacek, I forgot to mention that you should be able to breathe entirely in and out your nose the entire time. No mouth breathing. This was more challenging for me than I want to admit, and why the Buteyko breathing helped me.

Chicago SFG1: 130 days

The Snatch

16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 20s
These went well. I still need to do a better job of getting my arm straight/shoulder packed before the bell gets up there...but it's getting better.
Locomotion
Rucking!
10 pounds, 25 minutes
About rucking time! Starting light on these. I felt the increased load mostly in the "X" in my upper back. Rucking will be an valuable tool to fight my desk jockey rounded upper back posture. I had to pay attention to my posture and keep making adjustments on the fly. It also made breathing a little bit harder due to the load.
"To summarize the technique, keep your head up, shoulders down and back, midline hollowed, hips open, and walk on your glutes while deliberately swinging your arms. "

PM Work:

Lots of movement prep work
Ankle & toe active stretching exercises from Andrew Reads Run Strong
Then Toshner Mobility and downward dogs​

Buteyko:
Level 16, 2 rounds back to back
3:00 VLB and RCB
Pushed the max pauses moderately hard, dug deep into the RCB

Chicago SFG1: 128 days

Locomotion
Rucking!
10 pounds, 25 minutes
Even a single session with the ankle/toes active stretching made a difference today!
Focus today was on recruiting my glutes. This was challenging.
"Bipedal walking, as in human locomotion, resembles an upside-down pendulum. Find this balance between almost falling over forward and backward with the different center of gravity that the load creates, and offset it at the ankles through your stride. You will step out to the front less with a heavier pack and more with a lighter one, but this difference will be within a small margin.

With practice and attention to this, you will get this balance right, and minimize hip flexion. As I like to say, “Walk on your glutes.” Keep these muscles clenched and feel them drive your legs back. This important part of locomotion will help to keep your hips open and balanced. "

Al specifies that for A+A, with all the locomotion work, it's better to do fewer KB sessions with heavier weight and more volume.
That's my plan come spring. 2 high volume snatch days and 3-4 rucks a week. May even cut the rucks to 3 a week and a day for old style military bw pt

old style military bw pt
What is that?

I'm doing 3 moderate volume snatch sessions a week now. My skin can't handle a big volume session yet. Once I hit a 30 NR day with the 20k, I'll drop back to two high volume days to make more room for the rucking. Being a desk jockey, it feels so great to get outside with the rucking.

What is that?

I'm doing 3 moderate volume snatch sessions a week now. My skin can't handle a big volume session yet. Once I hit a 30 NR day with the 20k, I'll drop back to two high volume days to make more room for the rucking. Being a desk jockey, it feels so great to get outside with the rucking.
Just basic military style calisthenic workouts. I like going to the park and doing them in the warm weather.

Back
Top Bottom