all posts post new thread

Less is More

Today:
Planned day off of locomotion and KBs

PM Work:

Buteyko:
Level 16, 3 rounds back to back
Max Pauses: 46, 66, 100
Experimenting with recovery breathing periods. First two were 2:00, last one was 4:00.
A bit of congestion, plus worrying about silly things made these a bit harder.

Stretching:
OS commando rocks, 90/90s, QL Straddle
I am grateful for everything I've built in my life. I've got a long way to go, but I've come a long way too.

Chicago SFG1: 137 days

The Snatch

16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 2s
28k, 5r x 10s
I need to do a better job of locking out my arm...I need to lockout the hips sooner so the bell is merely floating into the top. Right now my elbow is trying to lock after the bell reaches it's zenith. Not good - lock hips sooner let the bell's landing be cushioned because the arm is all locked up and thereby transferring the force into the lat.
I need to do a better job of keeping the spine tall while reaching back hard in the hinge. Right now I'm trying to reverse the hips too soon - need to be patient in the far reach of the hinge and let my glutes/hamstrings/hips/lats absorb the kinetic energy so I can rocket to lockout.

(Come on baby, do the loco-motion)
Walk, 25 minutes
I was thinking while on my walk that the snatching, cold-a#@-weather-locomotion, and buteyko by themselves aren't particularly difficult. Combined together, they form a efficacious regimen.
The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I reupped my subscription to MyFitnessPal. I'm putting on a bit of bodyfat. Probably all the Christmas sweets at work!!!

I'm not planning to fast or do a calorie deficit. My training has been great, don't want to screw with that. Simply keeping my carbs <= 20% should do the trick.

Such weakness! Coward! You are worthless!

Seriously, there is no way I would have gone out walking either.... :D;):p:D;):p:D;):p:D;):p:D;):p:D;):p:D;):p

(Come on baby, do the loco-motion)
None; I could not motivate myself to go out in 5 degree wild chill weather. I will get in my walking at work in the warm building.​

PM Work:

Buteyko:
Level 14 and two level 16s
Didn't push these hard at all

Stretching:
OS commando rocks, rib pulls, brettzels, child pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar
My left hip & t-spine was getting a bit stiff from The Snatch. This was just what I needed.
The newest additions to my stable. I like the rogue powder coated handle on my 28k so much for snatching I bought a 20k and 24k with it. Oddly, the powder coating is easier on my hands than the smooth stainless handles of my VF bells.
New 20k & 24k.jpg

Last edited:
Chicago SFG1: 04m 11d

The Snatch

16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 20s!
I love the rogue comp bell handles!

These went great.
Learned part of the reason I'm getting sore in the elbows:

• I need to twist my pinky in towards my body a bit at lockout. This keeps the forearm cemented strongly into the elbow and helps to take the load in the lats and NOT the elbows. This is where the divots on the comp bells help - if I get this wrong the divots exaggerate the problem so they help keep me on the path.
  • I need to make my body straighter, sooner. When the body is straighted (hips locked) quickly in the upward phase, the arm straightens and shoulder packs sooner too.
Locomotion
Walk, 50 minutes
Today's focus was on:
  • Arm carriage - the arms power the legs & quicken the cadence which keeps my strides short.
  • Walking tall - this helps push my hips forward
Ended up training fairly late so I took some BCAAs. Was just going to do a short walk, but it's 42 degrees (38 windchill) so I took a long walk to love on the weather a little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom