all posts post new thread

Less is More

Chicago SFG1: 144 days

Buteyko
None, going to try another long evening session​

The Snatch
16k, 5r x 4s
24k, 5r x 10s
Moving up 2 sets a session proved to be a wee bit much last week.
I'll start back at 10NR and build up two each week.
I'm chomping at the bit to get my NRs to 30. Thanks to S&S, my hips/spine/etc are easily recovering. But, skin skin skin. I'm going to throw a couple sets in with the 28k soon. The size of the bell doesn't seem to matter with regards to impact to the skin.

Locomotion
Walk, 25 minutes
It was great weather this morning! 55 degrees with good humidity and a warm wind.

Hey-
I'm coming down the end of my rowing program and have a question for you @The Nail
they way you incorporate your LSD training/ walks...

I have to go back do some reading in your entries but your is different than my entries.
My rowing is more a dedicated program for endurance but it seems to me that you are walking 'in addition' to your normal daily training... is that an accurate statement?
I do 3 days weights and 3 days cardio but on the surface it seems as though you are doing weights almost everyday or maybe 4-5 days a week but walking 5-6 days a week.
Kind of like you are walking for recovery... does that sound about right?

if you cant answer this question because it is part of Al's programing then I understand.

Kind of like you are walking for recovery... does that sound about right?
No. The basic template is weights 2x a week, with short aerobic after. Then 2-3 standalone long aerobic. There is a more to it than that. It's complicated, though the aerobic work does aid in recovery from snatching when you do it correctly (must be able to breathe in and out through nose 100%). The Snatch is pretty tough on the body.

A+A stands for Alacitic + Aerobic. The purpose of the walking is to build the aerobic (also called oxidative) energy system. It might look like 'recovery' work, but I will be rucking heavy (50+ pounds) soon. I'm walking unweighted now to let my desk jockey feet adjust to the work. Check out Al's article on Rucking.

In Al's article From Simple to Serious Endurance, there's a great diagram of the body's energy systems.
"Using Pavel’s easy-to-understand diagram (below), the idea is to target the small, supercharged fuel system to supply the gas for the actual swing sets, and to use the large, migratory fuel system to constantly “top off” the little tank between sets."​
That's why I'm doing lots of walking and lots of snatching. As A+A stands now, they seemed to find out that The Snatch works far better than the swing. Since I need to pass the SFG1 snatch test in April, this works great for me.

if you cant answer this question because it is part of Al's programing then I understand.
I can't share much more...not because I am forbidden but because I do not understand much of it yet. Training the body by energy system is quite novel to me. And quite brilliant.

Chicago SFG1: 142 days

The Snatch

16k, 5r x 4s
24k, 5r x 4s
28k, 5r x 2s
24k, 5r x 4s
28k (rogue rough handle comp bell) was easier on the hands than the 24k (valery smooth stainless comp bell)...might run a 28k only session out and see how it goes.

Locomotion
Walk, 20 minutes
27 degrees, windy, low humidity.
Focus was on keeping up a fast pace

Last edited:
About time you got back outside......o_O;):p:eek::D

Chicago SFG1: 142 days

The Snatch

16k, 5r x 4s
24k, 5r x 4s
28k, 5r x 2s
24k, 5r x 4s
28k (rogue rough handle comp bell) was easier on the hands than the 24k (valery smooth stainless comp bell)...might run a 28k only session out and see how it goes.

Locomotion
Walk, 20 minutes
27 degrees, windy, low humidity.
Focus was on keeping up a fast pace

Seriously, good work.

Wow! You are really making great progress now
Thanks Rick. I can be stagnant for weeks and weeks and then leap ahead. That's why it's important to work on your objective every day...even if you are "standing still" the reality is you are moving ahead.

Chicago SFG1: 04m 20d
I'm feeling really good this week overall.

Warm up
Toes/Feet/Ankles, Downward Dog​

Locomotion
Walk, 50 minutes
COLD! 20 degrees and 15mph winds. My body stayed warm with my current gear; my undershirt was still sweaty when I got back. But my hands were cold. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in big time gloves. Finally found a rucking system that I liked...bought it this morning. Can't wait to start rucking.

What is the system? Just curious.

Chicago SFG1: 04m 20d
I'm feeling really good this week overall.

Warm up
Toes/Feet/Ankles, Downward Dog​

Locomotion
Walk, 50 minutes
COLD! 20 degrees and 15mph winds. My body stayed warm with my current gear; my undershirt was still sweaty when I got back. But my hands were cold. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in big time gloves. Finally found a rucking system that I liked...bought it this morning. Can't wait to start rucking.

Caught a cold bug of some sort. Will take at least today off of training. Not planning on doing much today but getting a haircut and eating. The sinus drainage always makes me hungry hungry hippo.

Back
Top Bottom