all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Looking for feedback on my 6-week snatch test training plan – 24kg test weight

Catherine Buck Le

Level 4 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hi all,

I’ve been testing this snatch test training program with some of my students and seeing solid improvements, so I wanted to share it here to gather additional feedback.

This is a six-week training plan to prepare for the SFG 5-minute snatch test (24kg test weight).

You can download the free training plan here:

5-Minute Snatch Test Training Plan – 24kg

You’ll train three days per week.

You’ll need access to the following bells:
  • 24kg
  • 28kg
  • 32kg
  • One to three lighter bells (e.g. 12kg, 16kg, 20kg) for halos, prying goblet squats, get-ups, and other warmup movements.
Please test it out and let me know your honest feedback! I would love to hear your thoughts on:
  • Volume
  • Density
  • Rep schemes
  • Rest periods
  • Warmups
  • “Difficulty” level
  • Etc.
Thank you in advance for your feedback, questions, comments, and opinions!

All the best and happy snatching,
Cat

Looks cool, I’m going to try it but may wait 4 weeks as i just started a new cycle on the giant. I’ve come very close in the past but haven’t quite gotten there yet.

What would you say if a client was already competently snatching a 32k for reps (i just finished KSK phase 1 with a 32k). Perhaps 40k swings? Or even upping bell sizes for snatches? I’m one of those guys right on the border of needing a 28k snatch bell if I had a big dinner or made bad choices for a couple of days. Just some thoughts/questions I immediately had.

I think my favorite part is days 2 and 3 starting out with 2 minute snatch tests. Good job!

Looks cool, I’m going to try it but may wait 4 weeks as i just started a new cycle on the giant. I’ve come very close in the past but haven’t quite gotten there yet.

What would you say if a client was already competently snatching a 32k for reps (i just finished KSK phase 1 with a 32k). Perhaps 40k swings? Or even upping bell sizes for snatches? I’m one of those guys right on the border of needing a 28k snatch bell if I had a big dinner or made bad choices for a couple of days. Just some thoughts/questions I immediately had.

I think my favorite part is days 2 and 3 starting out with 2 minute snatch tests. Good job!
What you can do

Snatch day use 28
Heavy snatch day 32
Swing day 36-40

Or bell down on week 3 onwards for the higher volume snatches as necessary

Looks good to me. On Friday I’m finishing KSK 1 with the 32 and was planning to make my first attempt at the 5 minute test with the 24 next week; this could be a good follow up to get me to my snatch test goal.

Hi @LarryB, Thanks for reviewing it!

Great question! This plan could be easily modified for the 28kg snatch test.

To modify it for the 28kg snatch test, I would make the following changes:

Day 1: Snatch density with the 28kg.

Day 2: Two-minute snatch test with the 28kg.
Heavy snatches on the minute with the 32kg.

Day 3: Two-minute snatch test with the 28kg.
One-arm swings on the minute with the 36kg or 40kg.

For someone who already owns the 24kg 5-minute snatch test, but who is on the cusp of being able to do the 28kg snatch test, you basically want to "blend" the heavier bells into the mix, but you don't want to completely abandon the 24kg. For this person on the cusp, I would modify the plan as follows:

Day 1: Snatch density with the 24kg and the 28kg. Without getting into the nitty gritty details of week-over-week progressions, do roughly 50% of the reps and sets with the 24kg, and 50% of the reps and sets with the 28kg.

Day 2: Two-minute snatch test with the 24kg. Focus on speed, pacing, and smoothness. And always focus on technique, of course!
Heavy snatches on the minute with the 28kg and the 32kg. Do roughly 50% of the reps and sets with the 28kg, and 50% of the reps and sets with the 32kg.

Day 3: Two-minute snatch test with the 28kg. Wheeeew!
One-arm swings on the minute with the 36kg or 40kg.

As you start to feel stronger week-over-week, you can slowly reduce the percentage of snatches and swings with the "lighter" bells, and slowly increase the percentage of snatches and swings with the heavier bells.

Hope that makes sense :)

Enjoy training and definitely LMK how it goes!
Cat

Ah. This is great. Intuitively I was doing something like this but he way it's been laid out makes much more sense.
The heavy snatch is similar to the plan you used initially to get your snatch test.

I have told your story at least a dozen times now to those prepping for SFG

The heavy snatch is similar to the plan you used initially to get your snatch test.

Yes ...it sure is .. I would say we went with a bit more volume on the heavy snatches. One year since that and after that I haven't attempted it again.

Right now I am on a quest to keep the snatch test close to achieving any time it's needed. So been doing things that improve the base level conditioning.

Hi all,

I’ve been testing this snatch test training program with some of my students and seeing solid improvements, so I wanted to share it here to gather additional feedback.

This is a six-week training plan to prepare for the SFG 5-minute snatch test (24kg test weight).

You can download the free training plan here:

5-Minute Snatch Test Training Plan – 24kg

You’ll train three days per week.

You’ll need access to the following bells:
  • 24kg
  • 28kg
  • 32kg
  • One to three lighter bells (e.g. 12kg, 16kg, 20kg) for halos, prying goblet squats, get-ups, and other warmup movements.
Please test it out and let me know your honest feedback! I would love to hear your thoughts on:
  • Volume
  • Density
  • Rep schemes
  • Rest periods
  • Warmups
  • “Difficulty” level
  • Etc.
Thank you in advance for your feedback, questions, comments, and opinions!

All the best and happy snatching,
Cat
Good morning, I'm going to give this program a try for the SFG 2 prep. I have been doing Q&D for the past 12+ weeks. I was thinking I could probably just jump into week 3 of the plan since I have basically been doing something similar with plan 044 with 28kg and recently adding in 32kg. Is this a 6 week peaking protocol for leading into an SFG weekend. The Cert is in September 23-24 in New York. I'm excited and nervous. Thank you for putting this plan out there. Do you have a Venmo account to send you money for the plan? Let me know what you think about going into this plan from where I'm at now if you don't mind.

Yes ...it sure is .. I would say we went with a bit more volume on the heavy snatches. One year since that and after that I haven't attempted it again.

Right now I am on a quest to keep the snatch test close to achieving any time it's needed. So been doing things that improve the base level conditioning.
Al Ciampa’s Lumberjack training (heavy snatch A+A protocols) combined with his aerobic development model at bewellandstrong.com is very effective at building and maintaining this base.

Good morning, I'm going to give this program a try for the SFG 2 prep. I have been doing Q&D for the past 12+ weeks. I was thinking I could probably just jump into week 3 of the plan since I have basically been doing something similar with plan 044 with 28kg and recently adding in 32kg. Is this a 6 week peaking protocol for leading into an SFG weekend. The Cert is in September 23-24 in New York. I'm excited and nervous. Thank you for putting this plan out there. Do you have a Venmo account to send you money for the plan? Let me know what you think about going into this plan from where I'm at now if you don't mind.

Hi @Luis T. Gonzalez,

Have fun at the SFG2! LOVE that cert weekend!

I would not recommend starting this program in week 3 because week 3 is actually the highest volume week, followed closely by week 4. Week 6 is a deload week — it has the least volume.

Since you have four weeks leading up to the SFG2, I would probably follow the plan like this:
  1. Week 2
  2. Week 4
  3. Week 5
  4. Week 6 (deload)
OR, if you don't feel like you need a deload week, you could do:
  1. Week 2
  2. Week 3
  3. Week 4
  4. Week 5
Thank you for the kind words! I'm more than happy to share this program for free and spread the snatch test love! If you want to repay me for the plan, you could just subscribe to my YouTube channel and that is more than enough. Thank you so much though!

Here's my KB jerk YouTube playlist:

Here's my KB windmill YouTube playlist:

There are a lot of other videos on the channel on the SFG1 skills like the snatch, get-up, clean, swing, etc.

Feel free to reach out with any questions about the SFG2 — I'm happy to help!

Thank you again :)
Cat

Hi @Luis T. Gonzalez,

Have fun at the SFG2! LOVE that cert weekend!

I would not recommend starting this program in week 3 because week 3 is actually the highest volume week, followed closely by week 4. Week 6 is a deload week — it has the least volume.

Since you have four weeks leading up to the SFG2, I would probably follow the plan like this:
  1. Week 2
  2. Week 4
  3. Week 5
  4. Week 6 (deload)
OR, if you don't feel like you need a deload week, you could do:
  1. Week 2
  2. Week 3
  3. Week 4
  4. Week 5
Thank you for the kind words! I'm more than happy to share this program for free and spread the snatch test love! If you want to repay me for the plan, you could just subscribe to my YouTube channel and that is more than enough. Thank you so much though!

Here's my KB jerk YouTube playlist:

Here's my KB windmill YouTube playlist:

There are a lot of other videos on the channel on the SFG1 skills like the snatch, get-up, clean, swing, etc.

Feel free to reach out with any questions about the SFG2 — I'm happy to help!

Thank you again :)
Cat

That is a great video on the half kneeling KB windmill. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom