all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

Phase 1 is over!! Looking forward to beginning Phase 2 on Monday.

I have learned something about auto-regulation in the last two weeks of Phase 1. I plan to superset the DCP and DFSQ during Phase 2. With that goal in mind, I have been putting the bells down after the DCP reps and then I immediately clean the bells to begin the DFSQ. This has been a good strategy for me until the last two weeks of Phase 1 on the heavy days for the high rep sets. I had to recover more between the DCPs and DFSQs to allow me to complete the reps. I never failed on a lift. I just needed to recover more before the DFSQ. I consider this knowledge gained as I get more experienced with auto-regulation.
Great work so far!

Good to know how things progress later on. I was curious how to approach the DCP/DFSQ days, but I've been running them similar to you. Parking the bell between the DCP and after a couple breaths cleaning the bells then into the DFSQ's. I know it's all based on everyone's personal strength/capacity levels, but just curious as to how things pan out especially during the heavier days.

I was thinking during Phase 2 upping things and just holding the bells in the rack position to the DFSQ's.

Wrapped up Week 3.

Week 3 Totals:
Cleans 2x2kg96NL
Presses 2x24kg68NL
Snatches 24kg236NL

Week 3, Day 4 was tough but definitely feeling the progress. It looks like things will start to ramp up next week on Day 3 & 4. I've been doing my best on getting sleep, resting on days off. I've also been following the Rapid Fat Loss nutrition plan that's included and I'm already down 4 lbs since starting. Been a fun ride so far, I'm looking forward to seeing how the next few weeks progress.

Week 1 done.
C+P,FS 2x24kg 70 total reps of each. No rest between Press and FS.
Snatches 24kg 228 reps total.

Went a bit light on both weights on purpose. I was out of commission all spring with a couple of abdominal surgeries. Spent 6 weeks doing a light Easy Strength-ish program to break the movements back in once I got cleared to lift. This is my first official program back and I'm enjoying it. The 10 min diaphragmatic breathing at the end/cool down has been very enjoyable.

I was thinking during Phase 2 upping things and just holding the bells in the rack position to the DFSQ's.
Thanks!

If I remember correctly there was a discussion on this thread between Geoff and some of the Beta Testers about supersets and the DCP/DFSQ. Again, if I remember correctly, the question was whether the superset involved a re-clean of the bells after the DCPs before beginning the DFSQ. I believe that Geoff said that the superset should involve a recleaning of the bells before the DFSQ. Some of the Beta Testers said that they were doing it the way that you suggested above. That after the last DCP lift in a set, leave the bells in the rack position and begin the DFSQ lifts. Geoff said that the superset without the reclean could be appropriate.

I plan to do the reclean superset and see how I feel. If I can't comfortably do the superset with a reclean, if will try a superset without the reclean. If that doesn't work..... I will use the method I used for Phase 1 of putting the bells down for a moment and then do the DFSQs.

Frankly, I am a little nervous about how the supersets will go. (I don't know why.) I will give it my best and see how it goes. I know the support of my fellows on this thread and the Strong First website are very important to my success with Maximorum.

Week 4 in the books.

Day 4's session humbled me. I was waiting patiently for a rough session and here it was. Managed 3 sets, set 1 went great set 2 not so much but set 3 seemed to go a lot better than set 2 with longer rests in between each lift. I should've rested more in between sets 1 & 2. I'll be taking that learning into the rest of the program. I made the mistake of taking the same rest protocol I've been using for the snatch days and quickly found out that won't work. I'll definitely have to rest more on C&P/DFSQ days.

Week 4 Numbers:
Snatch240NL
Cleans94NL
Presses71NL
Front Squats71NL

Side note, I know my strength levels and I'm glad I'm not using a true 5rm. The 24's are my 8rm and that seems to the right spot for where I'm at currently and for this program. Anything heavier would be way too much for me.

Phase 2--Week 1 is over.

I am now doing the DCP and DFSQ as a superset. I chose to reclean the bells before beginning the DFSQ, rather than dropping the bells into the rack after the last press of the set.

I was nervous about the superset for some reason. They went great! I did have to rest more between sets. I am glad that I have spent time working on auto regulation. I think if I was attempting to superset the lifts without an adequate recovery period, I would have been a mess.

I’m halfway through Phase 2 Week 2. Supersetting anything 4 and fewer for C&P. So far, supersetting the Snatches but my grip is questionable for the last 2 sets.

Leaving for vacation tomorrow so will re-start Week 2 upon my return.

Week 4 in the books.

Day 4's session humbled me. I was waiting patiently for a rough session and here it was. Managed 3 sets, set 1 went great set 2 not so much but set 3 seemed to go a lot better than set 2 with longer rests in between each lift. I should've rested more in between sets 1 & 2. I'll be taking that learning into the rest of the program. I made the mistake of taking the same rest protocol I've been using for the snatch days and quickly found out that won't work. I'll definitely have to rest more on C&P/DFSQ days.
I have found that my 3rd set is always my best set. I have no idea why. I agree with the rest on the DCP/DFSQ day. I consider that to be one of those things I learned as I get better with auto regulation.

Side note, I know my strength levels and I'm glad I'm not using a true 5rm. The 24's are my 8rm and that seems to the right spot for where I'm at currently and for this program. Anything heavier would be way too much for me.
I agree with this statement. I am using 28s. They were my 10 RM when I tested. I could only get 3 clean reps with the 32s. (I maybe could have gotten an ugly 4th.) As I am recovering between sets on DCP/DFSQ day (cursing myself for choosing Option B) I wonder how difficult the program would be with true 5RM bells. Though, with Geoff's programs I have learned that I need to be conservative with my bell selection.

I’m halfway through Phase 2 Week 2. Supersetting anything 4 and fewer for C&P. So far, supersetting the Snatches but my grip is questionable for the last 2 sets.

Leaving for vacation tomorrow so will re-start Week 2 upon my return.
Have a great vacation. Let us know how it is to come back to Phase 2 after taking some time away. I also have a vacation coming up. For part of the travel, I will be able to bring my bells. For the other days I will have to work around the days away from my bells.

I wonder how difficult the program would be with true 5RM bells. Though, with Geoff's programs I have learned that I need to be conservative with my bell selection.
I did the beta with true 5RM bells (although rep 5 was ugly). It was a bear. No way I would’ve supersetted. My recovery was tested badly during the beta. But I completed it with almost no missed reps during the entire program. Rest was key.

Apologies, I feel like I'm splitting hairs....
But if the bells are not grounded then isn't it a complex? Rather than a superset?
Or have I misunderstood?

I have found that my 3rd set is always my best set. I have no idea why. I agree with the rest on the DCP/DFSQ day. I consider that to be one of those things I learned as I get better with auto regulation.
Day 4 of Week 4 definitely taught me that more rest is needed especially with that particular ladder structure. Definitely a big learning day haha.

I agree with this statement. I am using 28s. They were my 10 RM when I tested. I could only get 3 clean reps with the 32s. (I maybe could have gotten an ugly 4th.) As I am recovering between sets on DCP/DFSQ day (cursing myself for choosing Option B) I wonder how difficult the program would be with true 5RM bells. Though, with Geoff's programs I have learned that I need to be conservative with my bell selection.
Especially with the length of this particular program. As the weeks go on the volume let's you know if you're using the right weight. I'm hoping by the time Phase 2 comes I can start super setting the DFSQ's.

W4D1 Snatch: 128 reps
W4D2 Double C&P+DFSQ: 17(C&P)+17(DFSQ) (+7 Cleans)
W4D4 Snatch: 112 reps
W4D5 Double C&P+DFSQ: 15(C&P)+15(DFSQ) (+4 Cleans)

I'm pretty delayed getting this out due to COVID.
I had taken last week off entirely, and this week I felt like seeing how I felt.
I did 10x10 48kg 2h swings on Monday to get the juices flowing. Now that I feel like I'm getting back to normal, I'm going to start MAXIMORUM over again on Monday, w1d1(I feel like I've lost a lot of momentum, and strength gained, it'll be good to get back at it.)

W4D1 Snatch: 128 reps
W4D2 Double C&P+DFSQ: 17(C&P)+17(DFSQ) (+7 Cleans)
W4D4 Snatch: 112 reps
W4D5 Double C&P+DFSQ: 15(C&P)+15(DFSQ) (+4 Cleans)

I'm pretty delayed getting this out due to COVID.
I had taken last week off entirely, and this week I felt like seeing how I felt.
I did 10x10 48kg 2h swings on Monday to get the juices flowing. Now that I feel like I'm getting back to normal, I'm going to start MAXIMORUM over again on Monday, w1d1(I feel like I've lost a lot of momentum, and strength gained, it'll be good to get back at it.)
Solid work!

I'm in a similar place. I came down with a nasty stomach virus this week, which left me unable to train. Things have sort of compounded as well, my lower back soreness came back. I'm taking a trip to Europe in mid September so it's looking like I won't be able to properly finish the program.

I'm thinking I'll let me back rest up and get back into the program when timing is right.

I'm starting the 5th week in Phase 1. I lost 2 inches off my midsection and 5 lbs. I'm pleasantly surprised how solid my arms look. It's not like when You do curls with the pump. My arm muscles are hard to touch. I was not surprised about the change in my shoulders because of doing Geoff's programs in the past.

Lol, I was never much of a minimalist but this program has me excited to see the results.

Weeks 8 and 9 are complete!!

I haven't posted lately because I have been extremely busy lately. On Monday I retired from my job after 30 years. So I've been wrapping up loose ends and celebrating the end of this phase of my life. I start a new job on August 14th, so my retirement will be short! (I am a man who CANNOT have time on my hands!)

To accommodate the professional and social obligations of the last two weeks, I did all 4 lifting days in a row for both weeks 8 and 9. I am sure it had an effect on my recovery. But it was the only way I could get my lifts done. Week 10 is going to be odd because I am heading out of town for a vacation. I will be able to bring a kettlebell for the first part of the trip. For the second part I will have to work around the days without a bell. So I decided to bring one bell with me and do the Week 10 snatches. I will do the Week 10 DCP and DFSQ lifts when I am home. So Week 10 will be Friday the 4th and Sunday the 6th I will do the Week 10 snatches. On the 8th and the 12th I will do the Week 10 DCP & DFSQ lifts. On the 14th, I will begin Week 11 with the normal Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday schedule.

I know there was a discussion above about whether to call the DCP into the DFSQ a superset. Geoff refers to running the lifts together as a superset in the instructions for Maximorum. So I will still use the term superset to describe what I am doing.

The supersets kinda kicked my butt over these last two weeks. I was able to successfully superset the lifts on the light days of week 8 and 9. On the heavy days, I had to skip the superset on the high rep sets. I did the DCP reps, put the bells down, recovered, and then did the DFSQ. I suspect that I was suffering from inadequate rest from running all 4 of the week's lifts back to back.

Back
Top Bottom