all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

The importance of hand care cannot be overstated.

Indeed! I have a pumice stone in the shower. I finish every shower with a good scrub on my callous line.

I went scuba diving two weekends ago and my callouses just popped. I have had to shave them with my corn plane 3 times. They don't hurt. They haven't ripped. I feel like I'm being very vigilant so I don't have a catastrophic rip or other injury to my hands.

Indeed! I have a pumice stone in the shower. I finish every shower with a good scrub on my callous line.

I went scuba diving two weekends ago and my callouses just popped. I have had to shave them with my corn plane 3 times. They don't hurt. They haven't ripped. I feel like I'm being very vigilant so I don't have a catastrophic rip or other injury to my hands.
I think, in a way, that happened to my calluses. I shave them down pretty regularly, maybe twice a week, usually once.
But, this last week all the callus pads have basically blistered under where they're shaved down.

I've heard it recommended, by Pavel iirc, to apply some sort of moisturizer pre-work out to avoid extra damage during training. Anybody have experience doing this?

Week 1 in the books. Loving the program so far. The balance of ballistic days and slow grind days is right up my alley. I'm thoroughly enjoying the alternating days.

I'm running with 28kg for the snatch, and 24kg's for the clean and press days. On Day 2, since I'm using 24's which are my 8-9RM I decided to hold the bells before the squats and go with the strong leg option. After Day 4, I realized this might be too much for me so I started to park the bell before the squats and ditch the strong leg option and just focus on building strength this phase.

Day 1: 84nl
Day2: C&P - 23nl / FRSQ - 46nl
Day3: 96nl
Day 4: C&P - 30 / FRSQ - 30 (towards the end I started parking the bell, so 3 cleans added in)

Moving forward my presses and squats should be more even in numbers with the addition of the cleans before the squats.

Excited to see how the next 12 weeks pan out!

Week 1 in the books. Loving the program so far. The balance of ballistic days and slow grind days is right up my alley. I'm thoroughly enjoying the alternating days.

I'm running with 28kg for the snatch, and 24kg's for the clean and press days. On Day 2, since I'm using 24's which are my 8-9RM I decided to hold the bells before the squats and go with the strong leg option. After Day 4, I realized this might be too much for me so I started to park the bell before the squats and ditch the strong leg option and just focus on building strength this phase.

Day 1: 84nl
Day2: C&P - 23nl / FRSQ - 46nl
Day3: 96nl
Day 4: C&P - 30 / FRSQ - 30 (towards the end I started parking the bell, so 3 cleans added in)

Moving forward my presses and squats should be more even in numbers with the addition of the cleans before the squats.

Excited to see how the next 12 weeks pan out!
Nice work!
Keep us updated on your progress!

Agreed on the energy from Maximorum. I am 55 and really enjoying this program.

Report back next week to let us know how Week 4 goes.
Just wrapped up Week 4 and Day 5 was a doozie! Had to take a couple of days break between Day 4 and Day 5 due to shoulder soreness (impingement?).
I've been swimming 2-3 days a week and it finally caught up to me, strained a shoulder muscle doing snatches earlier in the week.
P3 side lying and Table Top stretches really helped. My swim club is done for the summer so I'll focus on KB Max now. Perfect timing.

Question for the group: What are you guys doing about increasing intensity (RPE)? Relying on the added reps alone or decreasing rest times between sets? Both?

Just wrapped up Week 4 and Day 5 was a doozie! Had to take a couple of days break between Day 4 and Day 5 due to shoulder soreness (impingement?).
I've been swimming 2-3 days a week and it finally caught up to me, strained a shoulder muscle doing snatches earlier in the week.
P3 side lying and Table Top stretches really helped. My swim club is done for the summer so I'll focus on KB Max now. Perfect timing.

Question for the group: What are you guys doing about increasing intensity (RPE)? Relying on the added reps alone or decreasing rest times between sets? Both?
Edit - as others have stated the progression of the program naturally forces RPE increases. The below suggestion is for those whose training history has already included a healthy amount of strength endurance.

If my body had some extra energy to burn towards the end of the work periods I'd decrease the rest and let the hr and breathing accelerate. Not something for everyone nor everyday and only if you have enough juice to maintain high power output with good form. My working weight for the a1a2 days was a 7 - 8rm appx with the strong legs option. Visual attached...as you get into the second phase not parking the bells takes care of the rpe increase, noooooo problem. Screenshot_20230628-114018.png

Last edited:
Week 4 is finished. I began my training week on Sunday to coordinate (MAXI-mize?) my Maximorum training schedule. I have a bunch of social events planned for the 4th of July holiday. My usual days off are Saturday and Sunday. This weekend I will begin Week 5 and lift on Saturday and Sunday.

I am throughly enjoying this program. (Even when it kicks my a#@ a little on DCP & DFSQ Heavy Day!)

I have a weird question about which size KBs to use. With one size I can get 8 reps and the next size up only 2 reps. Which size KBs should I use?

I found the increasing reps took care of increasing the RPE pretty handily.
I agree with Conor. I found the added reps increased the intensity more than enough. Id suggest making sure you practice good breath work between sets and don’t rush things even when trying to increase RPE.

I have a weird question about which size KBs to use. With one size I can get 8 reps and the next size up only 2 reps. Which size KBs should I use?
Go with the 8 rpm

I am using a pair of 28s for DCP and DFSQs. The 28s were a 10 rpm and my 32s were a 3 rpm. (I could have gotten 4 and maybe an UGLY 5th rep, but I didn't push it.)

I have learned one thing (actually many things) from Geoff's programs is that they're serious programs designed to get results. For me, I get more out of his programs when I am conservative with my bell selection. The variables of auto regulation, number of lifts, and duration of the set make sure that I get a meaniful session.

I am 55 and I plan to spend many years getting strong with Pavel, Strong First, and Geoff Neupert. I am in no race to push it with the next heavier bell until I am ready.

By the way, I chose Option B with the DFSQ. (Just to make it a little more challenging) I curse my decision to choose more work late session on heavy day!

Definitely the 8RM. I had tested a 5RM and after the first day decided to downsize by a bell size to get more out of it. There’s no way I could’ve done the program with a 2RM. I agree with @blad51 , when it doubt with a Neupert program, be conservative. It’ll still kick your butt.

W1D1 Snatch 90 reps
W1D2 C&P 20 DFSQG 40
W1D3 Snatch 96
W1D4 C&P 30 DFSQ 45

After this I quit doing 'stronger legs' as I want more pressing

W2D1 Snatch 114 reps
W2D2 C&P/DFSQ 34 reps of each
W2D3 Snatch 118
W2D4 C&P/DFSQ 39 of each

I'm loving the auto regulation and just accumulating reps for a time period. I'm thankful I erred on the lower side of by 10RM & 5 RM weights.

I guess I'm lucky because of all of the physical work I do/done.
Go with the 8 rpm

I am using a pair of 28s for DCP and DFSQs. The 28s were a 10 rpm and my 32s were a 3 rpm. (I could have gotten 4 and maybe an UGLY 5th rep, but I didn't push it.)

I have learned one thing (actually many things) from Geoff's programs is that they're serious programs designed to get results. For me, I get more out of his programs when I am conservative with my bell selection. The variables of auto regulation, number of lifts, and duration of the set make sure that I get a meaniful session.

I am 55 and I plan to spend many years getting strong with Pavel, Strong First, and Geoff Neupert. I am in no race to push it with the next heavier bell until I am ready.

By the way, I chose Option B with the DFSQ. (Just to make it a little more challenging) I curse my decision to choose more work late session on heavy day!
Thanks Blad51. Yeah I'm 53 and have done Geoff's programs in the past so I should know better. I started this week with my 8 RM.

Back
Top Bottom