all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

After taking an unexpected but needed week off I'm diving into Week 2 this week. My lower back was angry with me last week and instead of training through it, I decided to take a week off and let my back get back heal/rest.

Also I decided to put my ego aside and drop my snatch bell size from 28kg to 24kg. I want to focus on my form and really owning the 24.

Finished week 1. I switched it up a little and am using 2-barbells that are my respective 5RM's in C&P and front squat (wanted to avoid the plate switching and power-cleaning my 5rm front squat is.....not a certainty, especially when I'm getting tired; so it's racked). Day 4 looks like about 22 reps of each.

Haven't done kb snatches in a long time. Using a 32 and the grip in my weak (left) hand is definitely the limiter, by far. Of 2-minds about whether to use a barbell so I can either use a hook grip or straps, as either would eliminate the grip problem. I know..... "get a stronger grip!"

I guess I'm lucky because of all of the physical work I do/done.

Thanks Blad51. Yeah I'm 53 and have done Geoff's programs in the past so I should know better. I started this week with my 8 RM.
Get it! Keep posting your progress!

Week 6 (Phase 1) complete! Man, I can't believe how good I feel on this program. Kinda like when I first got into the S&S groove.

Starting Phase 2 this weekend. Gonna have an irregular schedule as I work around appointments and even a week off between Wk 2 and Wk3 to take a vacation (Cruise).

Week 6 (Phase 1) complete! Man, I can't believe how good I feel on this program. Kinda like when I first got into the S&S groove.

Starting Phase 2 this weekend. Gonna have an irregular schedule as I work around appointments and even a week off between Wk 2 and Wk3 to take a vacation (Cruise).

Great work! I am also on an irregular schedule. I am in the middle of Week 5. I will begin Phase 1, Week 6 on Sunday.

What is your strategy to work around your travel?

Are you planning to repeat the week you were on before your travel or do you plan to pick up the program where you left off upon your return?

I can't decide which strategy to use for my summer travel.

Y’all have me itching to get back in this program. I’m going for the giant/ksk block training rn and I’m already missing my swings/snatches.

Y’all have me itching to get back in this program. I’m going for the giant/ksk block training rn and I’m already missing my swings/snatches.
The accountability of this thread was one of the coolest aspects of the beta test. Currently running a 12 week squat cycle and use a ton of C&P and snatch to keep my GPP solid. Mixing in barbell DLs and close grip bench, unilateral kb strength moves in supersets, pull ups, dips, rotational KB work and LISS cardio....basically all the bang for your buck moves.

Maximorum paved the way... Great program! Probably will run it again too in November when my schedule allows for less training time. Summer breaks are the jammmmm ;) fun reading fellas, onward and upward!

I'm done with the first week of this program. I always start my training weeks on Sundays because it works best for me because of my physical jobs. I like this program and know it's going to get tougher as the weeks go on. Glad I listened to blad51 and Thanks to Geoff for answering my email.

Again like I said, I have done Geoff's programs before, I own a couple of them, Lol. But I have questions about autoregulation. He uses this in his programs and if I was honest I timed my rest between sets on his other programs. For this program I decided I was going to use autoregulation between sets. Because of the 30 plus years of doing physical work I got into a habit of pushing my self hard at work. Lol, sometimes it can be bad because You feel it the next morning but nothing a little mobility work can't get rid of. I have to watch and keep this hard headed mentality out of my training.

So on Geoff's other programs I would time the rest so I would force my self to rest longer. So far this first week I think I did pretty good, I only got sore one day. I use a Garmin watch and strap. I did the breathing and tried to keep my heart rate below Zone 2 cardio between sets. Would You guys have any other suggestions? Do any of You guys get soreness from any of the sessions? Are we suppose to get sore at all?

I'm done with the first week of this program. I always start my training weeks on Sundays because it works best for me because of my physical jobs. I like this program and know it's going to get tougher as the weeks go on. Glad I listened to blad51 and Thanks to Geoff for answering my email.

Again like I said, I have done Geoff's programs before, I own a couple of them, Lol. But I have questions about autoregulation. He uses this in his programs and if I was honest I timed my rest between sets on his other programs. For this program I decided I was going to use autoregulation between sets. Because of the 30 plus years of doing physical work I got into a habit of pushing my self hard at work. Lol, sometimes it can be bad because You feel it the next morning but nothing a little mobility work can't get rid of. I have to watch and keep this hard headed mentality out of my training.

So on Geoff's other programs I would time the rest so I would force my self to rest longer. So far this first week I think I did pretty good, I only got sore one day. I use a Garmin watch and strap. I did the breathing and tried to keep my heart rate below Zone 2 cardio between sets. Would You guys have any other suggestions? Do any of You guys get soreness from any of the sessions? Are we suppose to get sore at all?
Nice work!
Auto-regulation is something I have gotten better at the more I do it. I certainly struggled with it at first.

I wear a chest strap HRM when I lift. I find that I am FULLY recovered on heavy days at 110 bpm.

If I am increasing the intensity for a session, I might start my next set at 115 bpm or 120 bpm.

At first the HRM was a crutch that I would use to guage my recovery. Now the HRM measurment is more of a confirmation of how recovered I feel before I begin the next set.

Week 5 is history!

This was a different lifting week for me as I had to schedule my Maximorum sessions around some travel and social events involving the 4th of July Holiday. I did the first two sessions of Week 5 on Saturday and Sunday. I finished the week yesterday and today. So I guess I can't claim that I wasn't FULLY recovered for the heavy sessions!!:cool:

This was good for me to try out an unconventional lifting schedule. I have some travel planned for the last weeks of Phase 2. I will be able to bring my bells with me for some of the travel and not the other travel. I will have to stager my sessions to stay on track. This planning around travel and social events is good for me. In the past I would use the excuse that travel was going to interrupt a program to procrastinate (or fail to start) beginning a program.

Great work! I just finished week 6, phase 1 complete. I spent the 6 months prior alternating The Giant and KSK blocks (actually Easy Muscle into Giant 1.1 and 1.2). Gotta love @Geoff Neupert programs! I want to change up after phase 2 and do @Hector G Berserk! to do jerks for a few months.

Right back at you!

I am going to do the original Giant with 28s after Phase 2. I was part of the Giant X beta test. I need to give the original program a go.

I feel like a person who has been to Kentucky Fried Chicken and only eaten the Extra Crispy chicken. What does the Original Recipe taste like? I don't know & I intend to find out!!!

Finished up Week 2 today.

The C&P & FRSQ days are tough. I'm glad I'm using my 8-10rm (2x24kg) for the C&P days.

Week 2 Totals:
Snatch (24kg)202NL
C&P (2x24kg)63NL
FRS (2x24kg)
63NL

I've been doing my best to recover between each set. I usually wait till my BPM gets to around 125-120 then start the next session. This has been helping a lot. Most of the time I've notice my second to last set feels and looks as strong as my first set. Usually during the last set its the last rep that gets a little grindy (more so on the c&p days).

Week 3 things start to ramp up so it'll be interesting to see how my numbers change.

Finished up Week 2 today.

The C&P & FRSQ days are tough. I'm glad I'm using my 8-10rm (2x24kg) for the C&P days.

Week 2 Totals:
Snatch (24kg)202NL
C&P (2x24kg)63NL
FRS (2x24kg)
63NL

I've been doing my best to recover between each set. I usually wait till my BPM gets to around 125-120 then start the next session. This has been helping a lot. Most of the time I've notice my second to last set feels and looks as strong as my first set. Usually during the last set its the last rep that gets a little grindy (more so on the c&p days).

Week 3 things start to ramp up so it'll be interesting to see how my numbers change.
Nice work!!

W3D1 Snatch: 120 reps
W3D2 Double C&P+DFSQ: 20(C&P)+17(DFSQ) (+9 Cleans)
W3D4 Snatch: 108 reps
W3D5 Double C&P+DFSQ: 18(C&P)+18(DFSQ) (+6 Cleans)

The longer sets are encouraging increased skill acquisition in addition to increased work capacity.
The longer rests are hitting my ego pretty hard..

Phase 1 is over!! Looking forward to beginning Phase 2 on Monday.

I have learned something about auto-regulation in the last two weeks of Phase 1. I plan to superset the DCP and DFSQ during Phase 2. With that goal in mind, I have been putting the bells down after the DCP reps and then I immediately clean the bells to begin the DFSQ. This has been a good strategy for me until the last two weeks of Phase 1 on the heavy days for the high rep sets. I had to recover more between the DCPs and DFSQs to allow me to complete the reps. I never failed on a lift. I just needed to recover more before the DFSQ. I consider this knowledge gained as I get more experienced with auto-regulation.

Back
Top Bottom