all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Maximorum Master Thread

A couple of things have been bothering me: My 5RM push press is really hard to clean up without dipping a little with the knees, and the handles of my 5RM bells have a little seem on the handle that is ripping my hands pretty regularly.

1, double 48s is pretty heavy, maybe a little dip is appropriate or allowed during cleans?(re-reading the program and others calls out how a dip is a no-no)
2, what is a good way to smooth the handles without destroying the finish? (I just have access to drills, maybe just fine sandpaper?)

I'm genuinely concerned that I need to build up my cleans with another program, like the GIANT?
Your 5 rep max Clean and press double kettlebells and a single kettlebell of 7-8 RM for snatches.
10RM for snatches iirc.

A couple of things have been bothering me: My 5RM push press is really hard to clean up without dipping a little with the knees, and the handles of my 5RM bells have a little seem on the handle that is ripping my hands pretty regularly.

1, double 48s is pretty heavy, maybe a little dip is appropriate or allowed during cleans?(re-reading the program and others calls out how a dip is a no-no)
2, what is a good way to smooth the handles without destroying the finish? (I just have access to drills, maybe just fine sandpaper?)

I'm genuinely concerned that I need to build up my cleans with another program, like the GIANT?

10RM for snatches iirc.
Oh my bad your right I purchased maximorum but didn't start yet that is why I mixed it up with KSK.

To smooth the seem you’ll need more than light sandpaper and hand power. You’ll need a file or grinder of some sort. Usually when cutting down metal I’ll use between 36 - 80 grit paper at the finest, and it has to be on a grinder or you’ll never get anywhere.

You can use a drill with a grinding bit, but keep in mind drills aren’t designed for sideways pressure so let the paper do the work and don’t put too much pressure. Something like these will get the job done: https://a.co/d/0cogNo2

Last edited:
To smooth the seem you’ll need more than light sandpaper and hand power. You’ll need a file or grinder if sone sort. Ususs add lot when cutting down metal I’ll use between 36 - 80 grit paper at the finest, and it has to be on a grinder or you’ll never get anywhere.

You can use a drill with a grinding bit, but keep in mind drills aren’t designed for sideways pressure so let the paper do the work and don’t put too much pressure. Something like these will get the job done: https://a.co/d/0cogNo2
Ah! A file!
My only concern at this point is, can I trust the powder coat not to flake off and maim my hand?

If you need a clean-specific program, Beyond the Basics 3 from Kettlebell Express! Ultra Reloaded is awesome. There are three versions. One uses your 5RM, another your 10RM, and the third uses your 4RM, 10RM, and 20RM (on different days). It’s all cleans.

10RM for snatches iirc.
A. Double 48s is a Herculean effort. I imagine only a small percentage of users on this forum have attempted it. Yes a little dip on cleans is a technical no-no, but if you are safely push-pressing double 48s, you get to clean them however you want. Assuming it's safe of course.

B. Speculation since I haven't worked with double 48s, but I'm guessing there isn't a program that will make cleaning those big boys easy. Just the dead stop hike start would be brutal. Another technique no-no here that might be worth looking into with that much weight is deadlifting the bells to standing, then bumping them off your hips to get a pendulum going. It's how Wolf Brigade teaches all kettlebell ballistics specifically so heavy bells are more manageable. This is a double fs video, not push-press, but it shows the hip-bump start I mentioned above.

A. Double 48s is a Herculean effort. I imagine only a small percentage of users on this forum have attempted it. Yes a little dip on cleans is a technical no-no, but if you are safely push-pressing double 48s, you get to clean them however you want. Assuming it's safe of course.

B. Speculation since I haven't worked with double 48s, but I'm guessing there isn't a program that will make cleaning those big boys easy. Just the dead stop hike start would be brutal. Another technique no-no here that might be worth looking into with that much weight is deadlifting the bells to standing, then bumping them off your hips to get a pendulum going. It's how Wolf Brigade teaches all kettlebell ballistics specifically so heavy bells are more manageable. This is a double fs video, not push-press, but it shows the hip-bump start I mentioned above.
I've tried not to mention the weight previously because it hasn't been relevant, I was kinda hoping there's some wiggle room on form. I practiced Geoff's recommendations on performing cleans included with the program on w1d2 and without recording my reps, which I'll have to do make sure, I think the "dip" might be me just stopping the extension at the top of the clean, heels down, softening the knees and catching the bells as they float. Again, I need to record this to confirm.
Similar to this, but with iron bells, not the cheater handles:

(Not my video)

Once I get these handles de-burred I think I'll just repeat w1/2 over to see if I can improve. If I cannot, then I'll step it down.

Last edited:
First post here... Running Maximorum with 16kg. bells (so I'm a wimp compared to most of you guys ). Just finished week 3 with 48 C&P + front squats. This week has been noticeably heavier than the first two, but the reason I'm posting is that the 160 snatches yesterday actually unf#$@ed the remaining niggles in my left shoulder! I'm shocked... I busted it up badly in March 2022 and have been rehabbing and building strength meticulously since becoming able to actually use the arm again. The last 3-4 months, the only remaining symptom has been this minor "twinge" and tightness in my left bicep short head tendon with certain movements. Yesterday it simply disappeared, and there was no hint of it today either

Snatching, stretching and OS resets a few minutes per day seems to to wonders!

I've tried not to mention the weight previously because it hasn't been relevant, I was kinda hoping there's some wiggle room on form. I practiced Geoff's recommendations on performing cleans included with the program on w1d2 and without recording my reps, which I'll have to do make sure, I think the "dip" might be me just stopping the extension at the top of the clean, heels down, softening the knees and catching the bells as they float. Again, I need to record this to confirm.
Similar to this, but with iron bells, not the cheater handles:

Once I get these handles de-burred I think I'll just repeat w1/2 over to see if I can improve. If I cannot, then I'll step it down.

Hey man,

I am a big fan of your channel and the information you put out on YT. Your video on hand care saved my training when I first got started doing snatches. Just wanted to express some appreciation! Thank you for your contributions to the kettlebell/strength community!

I am finishing the GIANT 1.2 tomorrow and I'll be starting Maximorum in a couple weeks (not with 48s lol). I am looking forward to it.

Week 4 numbers
C+P/FS 91 NL
Snatches 288 NL

3/4/5 ladder on Friday had me taking rest between C+P and DBL FS for the first time.

Only a 1/3 of the way done so thoughts are subject to change, but so far loving the 2 day a week grinds. Experience with Dry Fighting Weight, STRONG, and The Giant. Loved all those, but the 3-day a week grinds tend to leave me a little more beat-up feeling. Not feeling that yet with Maximorum. Plus the snatches might be my favorite part of the program.

Started Maximorum today. This is my first forum post and my first time running a program. I am 69 years old and a retired vet with Heavy mileage. Was a good athlete prior to military service but pretty well banged up over the years. After retirement suffered decades of depression and self abuse. Began a spiritual, psychological and physical renewal two years ago. Using 16 kg on all my exercises to start. Hoping this program will benefit an old timer like me.

Started Maximorum today. This is my first forum post and my first time running a program. I am 69 years old and a retired vet with Heavy mileage. Was a good athlete prior to military service but pretty well banged up over the years. After retirement suffered decades of depression and self abuse. Began a spiritual, psychological and physical renewal two years ago. Using 16 kg on all my exercises to start. Hoping this program will benefit an old timer like me.

Welcome!

You're gonna love Maximorum! Keep us updated on your progress

The community on this Forum is the best. You have found a good home.

Welcome!

You're gonna love Maximorum! Keep us updated on your progress

The community on this Forum is the best. You have found a good home.
I did not intend to post a comment after only two training sessions; however I must say that day 1 and 2 of the first week were eyeopeners for me. Such sub-maximal sets not only allowed me to concentrate on power production but my technique on all the movements was quite good. Hand insertion on both ballistics was the best I have ever experienced. Coming out of the hole felt really great and all my vertical movements popped. First time training this way. I like alot!

Here is my check-in for Weeks 10 and 11.

TLDR: I finished Weeks 10 and 11 and I'm heading into the final week of Maximorum.

Week 10 lasted FOREVER!! I retired from my job and had a nice vacation. In the preparation for travel and social events surrounding my retirement, I began to modify my training schedule beginning in Week 8. I skipped some of the rest days to move them later in the week when I was away from my bells. I finished Week 9 on August 2nd.

We went out of town the next morning. This was a driving trip. So I always bring my bells. I decided that I would only bring my snatch bell with me for the drive to save room. So I switched up my training schedule to do only snatches on the trip. Week 10 snatches were done on August 4th and 7th. I did the snatches outside with a beautiful view of a lake. (Why don't I practice kettlebells outside more often?!!?)

We returned home for a night. I did the first session of the DCP and DFSQ on August 9th. We then headed into Chicago for both Bruce Springsteen shows at Wrigley Field. (so fun!!) I finished Week 10 on August 13th. I felt like Week 10 would never end!!

Week 11 was back to the normal 4 day schedule of M, T, Th, F. It felt good to be back to my normal Maximorum lifting schedule. But there was also changes professionally for me. On August 14th I began my new job. (Short retirement!!)

I really love Maximorum for many different reasons. I find this program to be adaptable to a busy schedule. I found this program to be the one thing that has kept me grounded during a VERY busy period in my life.

Bring on Week 12!!

Back
Top Bottom