all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mixing movements in A+A/AGT

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Georgiaoutdoors

Level 5 Valued Member
Thinking through how to build a GPP program that fits my needs (be ready to enjoy chosen sports of trail running, back packing, obstacle course racing; meet the physical demands of a father and home owner; promote long term functional longevity) and is sustainable long term. I really have enjoyed A+A style training and the varied benefits it gives across the board. But I do get bored when doing the same movement for 30, 40, 50+ minutes (except for trail running and rucking in wooded/natural areas).

Having recently read Tim Anderson’s book Becoming Bulletproof Project, I’m curious about doing different movements in a single A+A session, perhaps in 10 min blocks?

So maybe LCCJ for 10 min, then jumping split squats for 10 min, then pull-ups for 10 min.

Thoughts? Or other suggestions on how to build a GPP program that includes A+A but insulates from getting bored with it?

my needs (be ready to enjoy chosen sports of trail running, back packing, obstacle course racing; meet the physical demands of a father and home owner; promote long term functional longevity) and is sustainable long term.

Thoughts? Or other suggestions on how to build a GPP program that includes A+A but insulates from getting bored with it?
you could look into digging into chains and complexes.

Maybe pick up an "S-" or "G-" bell.

Swing, Clean&Jerk, Snatch, Clean&Jerk, Swing; switch hands - x5
Rest.

-OR-

5 swings
5 clean & jerk
5 snatches
5 clean & jerk
5 swings
Rest.

EDIT:

And I just Double-Checked, @Geoff Neupert does offer several chains and complexes in his latest FREE offering 102 kettlebell workouts.

A very generous offering. @Georgiaoutdoors ; in case you're interested.

Last edited:
I'm the same as you. Performing one movement for 30-60 minutes completely bores me, and I end up not doing it after a week or two.

I've found that choosing a different exercise (Snatch, LCC&J, Swings, etc.) each time helps as well as not performing the same exercise more than once per week. But I still get bored.

This is similar to how Build the Elite structures some of their Open-ended sessions. There's an article on StrongFirst about it, but I can't remember the name.

Here's an example:

Screenshot_20220618-183534_Brave.jpg

This is why I like using Murph Challenge training sessions (pull-ups, pushups, squats) with Ladders or set reps EMOM for a specific amount of time. I've also used a variety of other exercises that work well.

you could look into digging into chains and complexes.

Maybe pick up an "S-" or "G-" bell.

Swing, Clean&Jerk, Snatch, Clean&Jerk, Swing; switch hands - x5
Rest.

-OR-

5 swings
5 clean & jerk
5 snatches
5 clean & jerk
5 swings
Rest.

EDIT:

And I just Double-Checked, @Geoff Neupert does offer several chains and complexes in his latest FREE offering 102 kettlebell workouts.

A very generous offering. @Georgiaoutdoors ; in case you're interested.
Thanks for the link...

This is in the direction of the OLAD GPP programming that we've been chatting about...

I use the template from this article. It uses pushups and sprints. I run it as snatches and sprints.
Strong Endurance in Schools to Strengthen the Next Generation | StrongFirst

I walk with my kettlebell to a local soccer field, which warms up my grip. Warm up on soccer field with some bounds, skipping, leaping, etc.
Min 0:00 snatch 5 reps left side
Min 1:00 snatch 5 reps right side
rest until:
Min 3:00 sprint 16 strides
Min 4:00 sprint 16 strides
rest until:
MIn 6:00 snatches again.......repeat usually for 5 sets of each pairing takes 30 mins. Walk home with kettlebell.

1684883828882.png

Back
Top Bottom