all posts post new thread
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

pauljcote

First Post
Hello everyone. I re-began working out about last June(after basically many years off) as I lost 20lbs after lockdown and wanted to get strong. I am 65yo, 5'7 and 163 now.

I have access to my kettlebells in 35, 50 and a single 70 (I have a 100 too which I got for a hundred bucks and can take fifteen steps with as a suitcase) as well as a chinup bar, an olympic barbell set with a bench and squat rack and a hex bar plus a bunch of dumbells that go up to 50lbs.

I was getting a lot of shoulder pain from doing regular deadlifts and trying chinups and dips, but a lot of the pain has gone away after I got a sports massage and keeping going. However, a part of the solution for me was using the trap bar in lieu of the olympic bar. What I found out though was I was doing the hex bar deadlift sorta like a squat. One day I was at work where I have a kettlebell and I did some one legged deadlifts. My hamstrings got sore just using the 50lb kettlebell. So, I realized the hex bar was definitely more of a pushing squat than a pulling deadlift... But, today I tried doing the hex bar deadlift stiff legged and did a couple sets and then did some bent kneed more of a squat. Seems to me that I can hit the hamstrings doing the stiff legged and the quads doing bent legged. Never read about doing two different kinds of these so wanted to throw it out there. Has anyone tried them? I leave my straight bar loaded up for the benching and don't use it for deadlifts anymore.

I believe my body composition and strength are getting better. I still get a lot of pain trying to do dips (so I don't do them) but bench presses seem ok. overhand pullups are very hard and I was getting pain but I am making slow progress with underhand chinups or whatever they are called. Will keep doing my workouts as best as I can until Easter (when I may switch it up and do more kettlebells) doing sort of a power program with pseudo easy strength. (can't seem to do it daily or 5 days at all) What I learned so far is either I have to workout with lighter weights or take 3 days rest between workouts when doing heavy weight on deadlifts. However, using kettlebells to do easy stuff at work (my barbells are at home) like rowing, one legged deadlifts, lunges and goblet squats with pressing it up seem to keep me doing something and keep me working on getting fitter and stronger.

I like the concept of easy strength and PTTP as well as easy+often=badass and am trying to do what I can to keep progressing. I do find two arm swings pretty easy to do but the one arm ones were stressing my joints quite a bit more.... not as bad as when I restarted... getting better but I don't do one arm swings with a 50 for more than a couple sets of ten.

I can't seem to find how to get strong at overhead press. Its always been hard for me. Seems to me since I have to hold weights with my hands for my exercises, the shoulders get worked a lot, in like every exercise, and are important.

I also am curious how important is it to be doing anti glycolytic like in swings. Seems sometimes I can do 25 swings in a row or even more.

Thanks,

Paul

Hello everyone. I re-began working out about last June(after basically many years off) as I lost 20lbs after lockdown and wanted to get strong. I am 65yo, 5'7 and 163 now.

I have access to my kettlebells in 35, 50 and a single 70 (I have a 100 too which I got for a hundred bucks and can take fifteen steps with as a suitcase) as well as a chinup bar, an olympic barbell set with a bench and squat rack and a hex bar plus a bunch of dumbells that go up to 50lbs.

I was getting a lot of shoulder pain from doing regular deadlifts and trying chinups and dips, but a lot of the pain has gone away after I got a sports massage and keeping going. However, a part of the solution for me was using the trap bar in lieu of the olympic bar. What I found out though was I was doing the hex bar deadlift sorta like a squat. One day I was at work where I have a kettlebell and I did some one legged deadlifts. My hamstrings got sore just using the 50lb kettlebell. So, I realized the hex bar was definitely more of a pushing squat than a pulling deadlift... But, today I tried doing the hex bar deadlift stiff legged and did a couple sets and then did some bent kneed more of a squat. Seems to me that I can hit the hamstrings doing the stiff legged and the quads doing bent legged. Never read about doing two different kinds of these so wanted to throw it out there. Has anyone tried them? I leave my straight bar loaded up for the benching and don't use it for deadlifts anymore.

I believe my body composition and strength are getting better. I still get a lot of pain trying to do dips (so I don't do them) but bench presses seem ok. overhand pullups are very hard and I was getting pain but I am making slow progress with underhand chinups or whatever they are called. Will keep doing my workouts as best as I can until Easter (when I may switch it up and do more kettlebells) doing sort of a power program with pseudo easy strength. (can't seem to do it daily or 5 days at all) What I learned so far is either I have to workout with lighter weights or take 3 days rest between workouts when doing heavy weight on deadlifts. However, using kettlebells to do easy stuff at work (my barbells are at home) like rowing, one legged deadlifts, lunges and goblet squats with pressing it up seem to keep me doing something and keep me working on getting fitter and stronger.

I like the concept of easy strength and PTTP as well as easy+often=badass and am trying to do what I can to keep progressing. I do find two arm swings pretty easy to do but the one arm ones were stressing my joints quite a bit more.... not as bad as when I restarted... getting better but I don't do one arm swings with a 50 for more than a couple sets of ten.

I can't seem to find how to get strong at overhead press. Its always been hard for me. Seems to me since I have to hold weights with my hands for my exercises, the shoulders get worked a lot, in like every exercise, and are important.

I also am curious how important is it to be doing anti glycolytic like in swings. Seems sometimes I can do 25 swings in a row or even more.

Thanks,

Paul
A lot of information there. Let's just comment on a few bits.

I think you should do A LOT of rows, particularly chest supported rows to build up the upper back and rear delts. I beleive a few months of this will help with your pull up and dip pain.

Trap bar is awesome. But unilateral deadlifts will tax hamstring stability In a way that bilateral pulls do not. When I hit a 315kg conventional I shortly after decided to do single Legged Romanians with a 48kg bell for 5 sets of 10 each side. DOMS were fierce but a few weeks in I felt more "secure" in my hamstrings for pulls and sprinting.

OHP takes a LONG time to get strong at. It is a smaller muscle than that of the pecs. So unless you have micro plates, you will struggle to make regular and consistent progress.

Do not be deterred.

Thanks for the info on the chest supported rowing. The sports massage therapist I went to said something about an exercise that was sort of like that ... I didn't really get what he wanted me to do or have the equipment. I don't go to a gym so don't have pullies etc... but I do have a bench I can lie face down on and row. Thats a good suggestion for me. I can do chest supported rows like that. I have been doing some shoulder presses with dumbells but not very seriously. Maybe up the volume on the OHP and be sure to do them regularly. Thanks again!

Shoulder pain can easily be referred pain from the back. So it's important to work it thoroughly but not too hard.

In addition to the chest supported rows I think unilateral rows, like use your kettlebell for example, should be great.

I too find that the trap bar can be used with different forms, but I find when heavy it always becomes more of a squat. But I don't think it's a bad thing, it's just a variation. Personally, I prefer a straight bar for the vast majority of my training.

With the overhead press, I would just keep in many variations and switch things out every month or two. Also try out different rep ranges and appropriate loading. It also sounds like your upper back work could benefit your press.

I feel that the trap bar let's you find your way. When i try to use it quad dominant / squatty style its always awkward for me, but when i naturally move, it feels like a swing hinge; like a straight bar but sitting further back & my knees don't get in the way.

Attachments

• 20210322_061356.jpg
    20210322_061356.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the info on the chest supported rowing. The sports massage therapist I went to said something about an exercise that was sort of like that ... I didn't really get what he wanted me to do or have the equipment. I don't go to a gym so don't have pullies etc... but I do have a bench I can lie face down on and row. Thats a good suggestion for me. I can do chest supported rows like that. I have been doing some shoulder presses with dumbells but not very seriously. Maybe up the volume on the OHP and be sure to do them regularly. Thanks again!
Resistance bands are a great alternative to a pulley machine. As well as a full set of bands only costing you a fraction of the price.

I was getting a lot of shoulder pain from doing regular deadlifts and trying chinups and dips, but a lot of the pain has gone away after I got a sports massage and keeping going.

I would like to see a video of you performing regular deadlifts, and chinups, and dips.

However, a part of the solution for me was using the trap bar in lieu of the olympic bar. What I found out though was I was doing the hex bar deadlift sorta like a squat.

There's nothing wrong with a trap bar lift feeling "sorta like a squat" - it is that.

One day I was at work where I have a kettlebell and I did some one legged deadlifts. My hamstrings got sore just using the 50lb kettlebell.

This is a different movement and makes lots of us really sore the first time we try it. But I wouldn't look at this soreness as commentary of whether you should be doing deadlifts, trap bar lifts, or squats in your training. The one-leg kettlebell DL is a great assistance exercise for lots of purposes.

I still get a lot of pain trying to do dips (so I don't do them) but bench presses seem ok. overhand pullups are very hard and I was getting pain but I am making slow progress with underhand chinups or whatever they are called.

Again, video can help us give you feedback.

Even better is to find a StrongFirst Certified Instructor and get some advice from them in real time, online or in person.

@pauljcote, you sound to me like a man in need of a goal. I cannot recommend highly enough the simple act of saying, "I'm going to do this" and then preparing, by training, to make it happen." Could be achieving Timeless Simple with a kettlebell, could be a powerlifting meet or a bodybuilding competition or an obstacle course run, but pick a thing and go for it. Once that's done, pick a new thing, or pick a specific period of "down" time in which you train more generally, but at least once a year, give yourself a specific objective and focus your training on it.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom