all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Yes I have; utilizing both road cycling and MTB. When I was training for big alpine climbs, it wasn't uncommon for me to be doing several hundred km/week on the road (mostly LED Z1-Z2) and at times up to 50km MTB. (at a higher intensity) A lot would depend on conditions...

But... I was also incorporating running and rucking. At the end of the day if you want to get efficient at schlepping a pack uphill, you have to do just that...

Right. Hell, I'm not sure I even see that much carryover from running unloaded and on roads and trails to hiking weight perpendicular to contour. Maybe I catch my breath a little quicker on the flats or at the top of the hill, but the hiking still sucks. (Not to issue a recommendation against running, more a purely autobiographical note.).

Now I think about it, I once spent, oh, 6-8 weeks or so doing 7-9h/week of easy Zone 1-2 volume on an Airdyne and a C2 erg to let a stress fracture heal before running Rob Shaul's 6-week Afghanistan program and then going off to work innawoods for a season. It was probably better than sitting on my a#@, certainly helped control bodyweight, and the main volume-limiting factors were boredom and saddle soreness rather than bone stress injuries, but I can't say I felt exceptionally aerobically fit.

There is a season to dirt bagging? I thought it coincided with couch surfing season.

Can we have a dirtbag thread? What is optimal dirtbag training? Just S&S, or are there other options?

When I first read S & S along with the other articles on this site it was like a lightbulb went off! The things I knew intuitively to work in a climbing environment were being explained and expanded upon in a 'strength' environment!

Late last summer I did a rather large block of A&A style bouldering (moonboard) and I was astonished at the carryover at the cliff! I would get through a hard section and be 'pumped' but it didn't matter because systemically I was ready for MANY more sections. The quick ticks were surprising, to say the least.

Box step ups as a substitute for rucking in the hills....

I'm wanting to add some once a week to get me ready for hunting in the hills.

Thoughts - suggestions - advice?

Loads / box height / duration / carry over when you actually get to the hills??

Hello,

From my experience, they work as a prep I used this technique to prepare for 9 days hiking in the desert and mountains in Jordan.

Nonetheless, a few notes:
- Even if it roughly (more in this after) provides the same outcome than an actual hike, they are incredibly...boring ! When you are in the mountains, woods, or any natural environment, it creates some kind of "bliss": you really enjoy your time and to a certain extent, forget the pain of the weight. With box steps, the environment does not change at all so you may quickly look at your wrist watch... It is interesting though, from a mental standpoint: how to deal with pain, how to deal with boredom, etc...
- Depending on how much you are used to hike, I suggest to load them slightly more (so you use your rucksack to get your shoulders / back / hips used to the weight). Indeed, to get the same outcome than an actual hike, you have to simulate the instability of a rugged terrain. This is hard to replicate indoor. So I loaded my box steps a little more, as some kind of "compensation". I added 5kg compared to my actual rucksack weight. It works fairly well.
- When I did them, I used my actual rucking shoes to get used to them. It prevents blister on the field.
- I used to do them for 25 minutes, then, a circuit of : swings (10 per side), burpees (5) and C&P (2-3 per side) with no more than 24kg, and pull ups (no more than 10 per sets), during 25 minutes. I ended with another 25 minutes of box steps. I did pull ups and C&P to strengthten the back and create some back endurance. Burpees help to get more power in the legs and also get us used to weird positions.
- I did not get knee issues because eventually, you do it during a very short period of time.

If you have access to stairs (in your home / building), you can also go for this solution with your rucksack.

In general, any kind of weigthed staggered position will help. Shrimp squats may also be a wonderful addition. I wish I knew they existed back then !

Once or twice a week is good (even without my circuit of course, but I am probably a bit masochistic). Back then I did not do it but...hill sprints (bodyweight only) will drastically help. For instance, 10 repeats, with plenty of rest in between.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:

Box Steps are totally legit! The best dry-land training you can get for this sort of thing. I have trained for some significant climbs with them in my toolkit.
30cm (12”)
Start unweighted then as you adapt, move up in load to what you expect to carry in the hills. I am not a fan of doing box steps or rucking for that matter with any load greater than you might carry for real. (sometimes I’ll break that rule, but only by no more than 10%)

I usually go for ‘elevation’ rather than time. When I do train box steps I usually end up with sessions that go from 300 - 1000m

Similar to @pet' I aim for once or twice a week; and I also wear the same footwear (and pack) I’ll be using in the field.

The catch is I really don’t do them too much anymore as I have quick access to mountains, ands the real thing is always better..

443BB59B-3D27-49A4-9E66-DB52AFF0F391.jpeg

I also agree regarding loaded box step-up’s building up to the weight that you expect to carry. Of course that’s difficult to estimate for backcountry hunting if get something big. Rob Shaul at Mountain Tactical has some interesting articles and programming as he too is a backcountry bow hunter.
I like the idea of using an overall elevation objective and will consider that in my training. I’ve used time or reps in the past from other programs and that’s been successful for me.
Anyone training for any fall objectives? Just some longer hikes and mild summits here until ski season. Might luck into a winter climb or two in the NE US.
Great thread by the way!

Yeah... no trips planned for me. Covid has kind of put me off any travel.
Probably just some local scrambles and rock climbing. Nothing worth noting (or really training for)

Will see what next year brings...

Hello,

From my experience, they work as a prep I used this technique to prepare for 9 days hiking in the desert and mountains in Jordan.

Nonetheless, a few notes:
- Even if it roughly (more in this after) provides the same outcome than an actual hike, they are incredibly...boring ! When you are in the mountains, woods, or any natural environment, it creates some kind of "bliss": you really enjoy your time and to a certain extent, forget the pain of the weight. With box steps, the environment does not change at all so you may quickly look at your wrist watch... It is interesting though, from a mental standpoint: how to deal with pain, how to deal with boredom, etc...
- Depending on how much you are used to hike, I suggest to load them slightly more (so you use your rucksack to get your shoulders / back / hips used to the weight). Indeed, to get the same outcome than an actual hike, you have to simulate the instability of a rugged terrain. This is hard to replicate indoor. So I loaded my box steps a little more, as some kind of "compensation". I added 5kg compared to my actual rucksack weight. It works fairly well.
- When I did them, I used my actual rucking shoes to get used to them. It prevents blister on the field.
- I used to do them for 25 minutes, then, a circuit of : swings (10 per side), burpees (5) and C&P (2-3 per side) with no more than 24kg, and pull ups (no more than 10 per sets), during 25 minutes. I ended with another 25 minutes of box steps. I did pull ups and C&P to strengthten the back and create some back endurance. Burpees help to get more power in the legs and also get us used to weird positions.
- I did not get knee issues because eventually, you do it during a very short period of time.

If you have access to stairs (in your home / building), you can also go for this solution with your rucksack.

In general, any kind of weigthed staggered position will help. Shrimp squats may also be a wonderful addition. I wish I knew they existed back then !

Once or twice a week is good (even without my circuit of course, but I am probably a bit masochistic). Back then I did not do it but...hill sprints (bodyweight only) will drastically help. For instance, 10 repeats, with plenty of rest in between.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Pet'
@pet' - brilliant - thank you!

I like the idea of breaking the step ups with some other movements. I'll give that a go tomorrow ?

Box Steps are totally legit! The best dry-land training you can get for this sort of thing. I have trained for some significant climbs with them in my toolkit.
30cm (12”)
Start unweighted then as you adapt, move up in load to what you expect to carry in the hills. I am not a fan of doing box steps or rucking for that matter with any load greater than you might carry for real. (sometimes I’ll break that rule, but only by no more than 10%)

I usually go for ‘elevation’ rather than time. When I do train box steps I usually end up with sessions that go from 300 - 1000m

Similar to @pet' I aim for once or twice a week; and I also wear the same footwear (and pack) I’ll be using in the field.

The catch is I really don’t do them too much anymore as I have quick access to mountains, ands the real thing is always better..

View attachment 11275
@offwidth - Magic thank you! Good to know that it's worked for others!

Hello,

@kiwipete
To add a little bit of stabilization work, you can do the box steps / stair climbing holding a weight (a light kb, bag or whatever you can get). Basically, it is a suitcase carry.

This is what I did today in my stairs for 45 minutes by the way ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

i do some ski mountaineering and skimo racing. where i live (coastal Maine) has few mtns.
Between that weighted pack, a 16 inch step and my skierg I can get most of my "uphill" moves in.

I finish with some more eccentric based work ala jump lunges and squats.

Its far from perfect, but its good.

Following :)

I did a bunch of climbing in the NE in my 20s since I lived right next to the Gunks. Then I took ~25 years off from climbing but I am back at it as a gym rat since I live in FL. Pre c-19 I had two trips planned to the Red and Gunks but of course, those are on hold. I can't wait to hit the road and get back into the mountains again.

These days my training is mostly physical therapy for climbing-related shoulder/tennis elbow and some easy top dropping one day a week at the climbing gym. I just read started the Naked Warrior plan a few days ago. I have found that I can do some OAPUs isometric hold without irritating my shoulder so I can at least get a little press type strength work.

Following :)

I did a bunch of climbing in the NE in my 20s since I lived right next to the Gunks. Then I took ~25 years off from climbing but I am back at it as a gym rat since I live in FL. Pre c-19 I had two trips planned to the Red and Gunks but of course, those are on hold. I can't wait to hit the road and get back into the mountains again.

These days my training is mostly physical therapy for climbing-related shoulder/tennis elbow and some easy top dropping one day a week at the climbing gym. I just read started the Naked Warrior plan a few days ago. I have found that I can do some OAPUs isometric hold without irritating my shoulder so I can at least get a little press type strength work.
Where in FL? Which Gym?
There is actually one outdoor ‘crag’ in FL

I have been going to projectrock , and when they reopen I will return to Coral Cliffs gym. They are both in Fort Lauderdale FL.

There are no outdoor crags in FL

Where are you?

I have been going to projectrock , and when they reopen I will return to Coral Cliffs gym. They are both in Fort Lauderdale FL.

There are no outdoor crags in FL

Where are you?
Arizona with outdoor climbing 10 minutes away.

I recall an article about a FL crag (very chossy) in a Climbing magazine article from about 30 yrs ago

Not much...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom