all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
My next door neighbor participated in the last officially sanctioned by the NPS R2R2R back in the 80's. Was a professional marathon racer in the late 70's and early 80's and said the race back then was a blast. It was truly an obscure sport that nobody did.

My next door neighbor participated in the last officially sanctioned by the NPS R2R2R back in the 80's. Was a professional marathon racer in the late 70's and early 80's and said the race back then was a blast. It was truly an obscure sport that nobody did.
And now there is a sign somewhere around Bright Angel campground that actually mentions Runners…

Any recommendations on GPS watch? My old Garmin finally up and died yesterday. Thinking of something mid-range for hiking, running and cycling. There a ton of choices these days; Coros, Garmin, Polar, Suunto and even a new Apple Watch.

I really like the size and style of that model.
I’ve had it a little over a month now, and I mostly like it. As you can imagine, I use it for trail running and hiking mostly. I also use it for cycling, but only to track the activity on the app. I rely on my cycle computer otherwise. (They correlate very well) I also use it climbing and for KB’s, and as a day to day timepiece.

I haven’t compared the wrist HR to my strap.

You need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out how to work it. The app is pretty decent as well…

Made in Finland which is kinda cool.

I rarely have anything to contribute to this section of the forum as I live at flat a$$ sea level on the Virginia coast. I got a text from my bad a$$ younger cousin that just did the Huntington Ravine up in New Hampshire this afternoon.

www.hikingupwiththepup.com/huntington-ravine-climbing-the-most-dangerous-trail-in-the-white-mountains/

Pretty good run from what he told me. I won't go into details about my cousin, he led a crazy tough life between the ages of 20-40 and this is what he does for fun. We should all be so lucky..........just not so crazy. It's good to be young and single. Lol.

Here's a very interesting article for Aerobic Base assessment:

if you’ve never ice climbed… you might not get it…
Bailing off of a single tool just below rotten ice???? What's not to like?!?!? :oops:
Just home from a quick trip to the Adirondacks. We had some rain but got lucky enough to sneak in Mt. Colden via Trap Dike on Friday before the storms. Here's the a photo of the descent on the ladders. Just a little water. ;) Fun 14 miles round trip and no complaints.
IMG_0812.jpeg
Stayed in the valley yesterday for a short 10 mile out and back along John's Brook and the river was running high. All in all good preparation for a late August run at the Presidential Traverse.
IMG_0838.jpeg

Bailing off of a single tool just below rotten ice???? What's not to like?!?!? :oops:
Just home from a quick trip to the Adirondacks. We had some rain but got lucky enough to sneak in Mt. Colden via Trap Dike on Friday before the storms. Here's the a photo of the descent on the ladders. Just a little water. ;) Fun 14 miles round trip and no complaints.
View attachment 21744
Stayed in the valley yesterday for a short 10 mile out and back along John's Brook and the river was running high. All in all good preparation for a late August run at the Presidential Traverse.
View attachment 21746
We’re looking at an early September go at the Evans Egis…

For your Sunday viewing pleasure…

Here is a nice pucker inducing film for all you budding ice climbers out there

***pg for language***

if you’ve never ice climbed… you might not get it…

I used to winter climb in the Alps and Scotland, climbing with people much more skilled than I was. Everything about that video made me feel sick. The cracking of the ice, the noise the placements made, having the bent pick. Then it finished with the bail and it was horrible, potentially high fall factor, bouncing off a ledge.

I used to winter climb in the Alps and Scotland, climbing with people much more skilled than I was. Everything about that video made me feel sick. The cracking of the ice, the noise the placements made, having the bent pick. Then it finished with the bail and it was horrible, potentially high fall factor, bouncing off a ledge.
I’ve got into some jams before, but never like that. The scary thing is realizing that I would have done the exact same thing…

I’ve got into some jams before, but never like that. The scary thing is realizing that I would have done the exact same thing…
Oh definitely. It would have been nice to get in a screw earlier to alleviate the potential fall on the belay but the tool was a good option in the end. Very sketchy though.

Agreed. Not an uphill athlete but my go to template is 2 x IC, 2 x A+A, and 2-3 x Z2 sessions per week. Covers a lot of bases for someone with no specific goals other than to age well.
I'm looking into something similar, albeit maybe with reduced footprints give BJJ and Muay Thai are hobbies of mine.

Back
Top Bottom