all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My BuiltStrong Minimalist Experience!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I've got barbell, kettlebell and BW to pick from. This round of BTS3 I try to have one of each for each day.
Day 2 - zerchers, bodyweight ring chinups, single kb press

this might be out of necessity having limited space, but i like rotating through three different 'modalities' for the session
I like doing that as well (minus barbell lifts). KB's and BW go together very well!

Just wrapped up BTS3. I ran it two days a week, instead of 3, alongside 2 days a week of AXE 1-hand swings.
This took me 12 weeks to complete instead of 8 weeks, as per the program.
This proved to be a good run, the 2 days a week were no problem to recovery from. The AXE sessions are also structured (as long as you pay attention to stop signs) that recover is enhanced.

Results:
1) Barbell Press - 105lb, original test 6 reps, after program 7 reps
2) Zercher Squats - 185lb, original test 5 reps, after program 6 reps
3) Weighted Ring Chinups - +4kg, original test 5 reps, after program 6 reps

All in all, I was happy with the results, even if they were small gains. I was hoping for at least strength maintenance (knowing I was only doing 2 sessions a week instead of 3), but was happy to gain a little strength.

I am planning on rotating in either BTS3 or BTS4 a few times a year. Very happy with Fabio Zonin's programs, in fact I'm about to run Reload again, so I can focus on strength.

Just wrapped up BTS3. I ran it two days a week, instead of 3, alongside 2 days a week of AXE 1-hand swings.
This proved to be a good run, the 2 days a week were no problem to recovery from. The AXE sessions are also structured (as long as you pay attention to stop signs) that recover is enhanced.

Results:

All in all, I was happy with the results, even if they were small gains. I was hoping for at least strength maintenance (knowing I was only doing 2 sessions a week instead of 3), but was happy to gain a little strength.

I am planning on rotating in either BTS3 or BTS4 a few times a year. Very happy with Fabio Zonin's programs, in fact I'm about to run Reload again, so I can focus on strength.
Niiiccceee!!!!

Reactions: Ege

Results:

Did you notice any hypertrophy gains? Although I guess 1/3 lowered volume might not cut it if you were already working consistently.

Did you notice any hypertrophy gains? Although I guess 1/3 lowered volume might not cut it if you were already working consistently.
From a hypertrophy standpoint, I would say minimal gains. Some shoulder and upper back hypertrophy, which was influenced by 1-arm AXE swings I was doing 2-days a week. The volume was probably too low for hypertrophy, but I expected this due to modifying the sessions per week.

From a hypertrophy standpoint, I would say minimal gains. Some shoulder and upper back hypertrophy, which was influenced by 1-arm AXE swings I was doing 2-days a week. The volume was probably too low for hypertrophy, but I expected this due to modifying the sessions per week.
Did you consider compressing the weekly volume into two days?

Yes, I considered it, but then the volume would be too high for each day; at least for me. Medium load movements called for 63 reps total on the peak volume week. If I added 50% more that would be too much.
I didn't mean to increase the number of reps per band, rather, for example, to spread the light volume to one or both days, e.g.;

DAY1 - Heavy squat + Light squat
OR Heavy squat + 50% Light squat
DAY2 - medium squat
OR medium squat + 50% Light squat

It might be more viable if presses were reprogrammed to the AXE days. For example;

DAY1 - AXE + BTS3 presses
DAY2 - BTS3 squats + pulls
DAY3 - AXE + BTS3 presses
DAY4 - BTS3 squats + pulls

I didn't mean to increase the number of reps per band, rather, for example, to spread the light volume to one or both days, e.g.;

DAY1 - Heavy squat + Light squat
OR Heavy squat + 50% Light squat
DAY2 - medium squat
OR medium squat + 50% Light squat

It might be more viable if presses were reprogrammed to the AXE days. For example;

DAY1 - AXE + BTS3 presses
DAY2 - BTS3 squats + pulls
DAY3 - AXE + BTS3 presses
DAY4 - BTS3 squats + pulls
That's a good idea. Typically I don't add anything to AXE other than a few sets of core work afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom