all posts post new thread

thefuriousplainsman

Level 5 Valued Member
Anybody see this yet? Aleks Salkin SFG II wrote it and Pavel Macek did the foreword. He’s got some really handy drills that make taming the different arc in the ballistic lifts a lot easier and faster.
Amazon.com: Tamers of the Lost Arc: Insider Tips on Smashing Your Plateaus, Kickstarting Your Progress, and Forging Bold New Strength in the Kettlebell Ballistic Lifts eBook : Salkin, Aleks: Kindle Store
There’s some different plank variations—one specific to each type of ballistic. They have helped me root better in each of the lifts. There are also specific drills using gymnastic rings to trace the path of each arc. I’m coming back after almost two years off because of a significant wrist injury and then rotator cuff tear and this is making that process a lot easier.

If you’re starting out or an instructor you should check it out. I wish I had it a decade ago when I first started.

Anybody see this yet? Aleks Salkin SFG II wrote it and Pavel Macek did the foreword. He’s got some really handy drills that make taming the different arc in the ballistic lifts a lot easier and faster.
Amazon.com: Tamers of the Lost Arc: Insider Tips on Smashing Your Plateaus, Kickstarting Your Progress, and Forging Bold New Strength in the Kettlebell Ballistic Lifts eBook : Salkin, Aleks: Kindle Store
There’s some different plank variations—one specific to each type of ballistic. They have helped me root better in each of the lifts. There are also specific drills using gymnastic rings to trace the path of each arc. I’m coming back after almost two years off because of a significant wrist injury and then rotator cuff tear and this is making that process a lot easier.

If you’re starting out or an instructor you should check it out. I wish I had it a decade ago when I first started.
You just made me buying it. Aleks has some solid stuff. I love how his stuff can be used to get better at your usual training. And the price is a steal!

You just made me buying it. Aleks has some solid stuff. I love how his stuff can be used to get better at your usual training. And the price is a steal!
Aleks does make some good stuff. I remember some articles he wrote early on at StrongFirst and then he kind of dropped off my radar. Sometime last year I “rediscovered” him through Geoff Neupert. His stuff definitely fills in gaps from my usual training.

Thanks for posting about this! I missed out on this due to the fact that I unsubscribed to his email list. This was because the volume of emails was just too much for my inbox, however, I thoroughly enjoy his writing style and the information that he provides is super useful. His "No BS KB and BW Kickstart" book was great. Will be picking this up.

Definitely worth buying whether you are a beginner, an intermediate who wants to rebuild the basics, or an instructor looking for some drill progressions for the ballistics.

The kindle version is only 3.29. The kindle app can be installed on ANY device including a smartphone. I find this format really good for instructional texts as it is easy to highlight, search, and look at video compared to a traditional book. He has also provided a link to video instructions, which I think should be standard practice in this market. You need gymnastic rings or a TRX.

The drills are innovative for some key issues that I have noticed in myself and others. As he notes in the book, a lot of people neglect the issue of scapular strength or packing the shoulder and only focus on the hinge. This means that even if the hinge is powerful, the shoulders can unpack and glide forward, EVEN IF the bell is tamed and pulled back (leaning back) to the standing plank in the end position. In other words, it is possible to cue hinge and standing plank and miss the middle taming of the arc, which is the focus of this short book.

There is also an interesting side discussion of drills vs skills that has come up in this forum.

Getting Pavel Macek Pavel Macek, Author at StrongFirst to write the forward for the book should help persuade anyone who is not familiar with Aleks' work. Aleks is an author on this site Aleks Salkin, Author at StrongFirst

For those who don't know Pavel Macek, he is a Strongfirst leader and another innovative thinker with drills (Lion's roar and four point swing, the latter one of the best KB swing tips I have ever implemented.

I’m in Australia. I’d think kindle wouldn’t matter ? But it isn’t available to me. I’ll get the teenagers to look at it for me. I’m probably doing it wrong

I’m in Australia. I’d think kindle wouldn’t matter ? But it isn’t available to me. I’ll get the teenagers to look at it for me. I’m probably doing it wrong
This link should work for you:

As amazon tries to push Kindle unlimited subscription, the "buy directly" stuff can be a bit hidden.

Thanks for the heads up. I stopped reading his e-mails and did not know about this.

Short review:
five stars
Very interesting book. Very clearly written, nice illustrations and pictures, clearly structured, and featuring short summaries and video instructions (in exchange for your email address).

The drills must have been hiding in plain sight. After reading they seem super obvious and fitting - and yet I have never seen them in any KB resource.

Looking forward to applying them in my upcoming weeks.

I love those short deep dives, focusing on one skill (for example, Perfecting the Press by Kenneth Jay.)

Short review:
five stars
Very interesting book. Very clearly written, nice illustrations and pictures, clearly structured, and featuring short summaries and video instructions (in exchange for your email address).

The drills must have been hiding in plain sight. After reading they seem super obvious and fitting - and yet I have never seen them in any KB resource.

Looking forward to applying them in my upcoming weeks.

I love those short deep dives, focusing on one skill (for example, Perfecting the Press by Kenneth Jay.)

I agree. I liked the deadlift dynamite book.

This link should work for you:

As amazon tries to push Kindle unlimited subscription, the "buy directly" stuff can be a bit hidden.
Much appreciated, a copy is on its way !

Aleks' work is fantastic! I watched the webinar when he was testing these moves out and I was really impressed. Everything he was testing was really intuitive but was nothing I had seen before. Really easy but impactful moves.

I'm very glad to see you fine folks are enjoying the book. I really think it will be a GAIN changer for a lot of people who have struggled to hone, sharpen, and refine their ballistic drills even after otherwise very good instructions. Keep me posted in this thread on how you like the drills and accompanying program, would ya?

I'm very glad to see you fine folks are enjoying the book. I really think it will be a GAIN changer for a lot of people who have struggled to hone, sharpen, and refine their ballistic drills even after otherwise very good instructions. Keep me posted in this thread on how you like the drills and accompanying program, would ya?
@AleksSalkin , something very strange happened this week:

I did all the drills from the book for snatches and then I did an A+A protocol with snatches and push ups. Between repeats I used the breaks for some balance drills and more of your drills (especially those with the TRX/rings). My snatches really felt easy but powerful and crisp. I could just go on for a long time.
Then the next day I felt sore in my upper back. It felt like I never used those muscles and I am really snatching kettlebells for years! I never felt this. Looks like I activated some muscles that were asleep for some time now. Eye opening and interesting. Thank you Aleks!

@AleksSalkin , something very strange happened this week:

I did all the drills from the book for snatches and then I did an A+A protocol with snatches and push ups. Between repeats I used the breaks for some balance drills and more of your drills (especially those with the TRX/rings). My snatches really felt easy but powerful and crisp. I could just go on for a long time.
Then the next day I felt sore in my upper back. It felt like I never used those muscles and I am really snatching kettlebells for years! I never felt this. Looks like I activated some muscles that were asleep for some time now. Eye opening and interesting. Thank you Aleks!
That is freakin' awesome, man, I love to hear that. Keep me posted on your progress - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what the coming weeks and months bring you.

Back
Top Bottom